Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 05:05 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,473,505 times

Advertisements

For the people that say they've seen the same types of people everywhere,sure you might see that. But usually there's some kind of majority that's prevalent.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:38 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,379,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower101 View Post
Is there a difference between southern women and northern women?
Yes, their latitude.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:57 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower101 View Post
Is there a difference between southern women and northern women?
Discuss

No, not really they both have annoying accents.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:59 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
No, not really they both have annoying accents.
So, is your lady imported, Chowhound? But then she'll have even more annoying accent (based on experience).

Old 07-29-2008, 09:20 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
So, is your lady imported, Chowhound? But then she'll have even more annoying accent (based on experience).

No, she's from So Cal, same as me. I guess to someone from the "North" or the "South" the west coast probably has an "accent" too.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:25 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
No, she's from So Cal, same as me. I guess to someone from the "North" or the "South" the west coast probably has an "accent" too.
Oh, I thought you covered the entire country slicing it North/South.

The only problem I have with some (mostly) women from SoCal is the intonation - you know, ending every sentence as if it's a question.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:36 PM

874 posts, read 3,679,601 times
Its all about your environment..if you want to survive up North, you need to be fiesty to get the respect that you deserve by both other women and men. Down South..because its sooo laid back and charm is everything..as a woman, in order to gain the respect you want..you need to follow suite. Its just being a product of your environment.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:57 AM

2 posts, read 10,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishP7 View Post
Its all about your environment..if you want to survive up North, you need to be fiesty to get the respect that you deserve by both other women and men. Down South..because its sooo laid back and charm is everything..as a woman, in order to gain the respect you want..you need to follow suite. Its just being a product of your environment.
I don't think Northern women have cornered the market on fiesty. Southern girls have long taken off the white gloves. I keep seeing the word "charm" used in relation to Southern women. I don't think we own that adjective either. I think you're right that environment plays a huge role, and agree completely that respect is perhaps earned differently in each locale.
I think way too much thought has been put into a Southern woman's quote/unquote charm. I don't use charm to get respect. I treat people with the same respect that I expect in return.
Manners are a part of us. It's an automatic response. It's a part of who you are. I don't have a motive or ambition connected with it.

In a recent trip to NYC my teenage daughter was appalled at what she considered to be blatant rudeness there. See, I reared her to understand that if she makes eye contact with someone, she should smile, greet them, and acknowledge their humanity. The motive there is not to garner respect for herself, but to respect her fellow human beings. You never know when someone needs something as simple as friendly contact to get them through another day.
I then had to explain to her that in NYC people have a different culture
than we do; that their intent is probably not to be rude at all; that with so many people living in one city, it's unlikely that they will ever meet again. I wish that people in the North would give us the same benefit of doubt when they travel south. Please assume that if a behavior seems odd to you, it's almost always not meant to be rude and/or hurtful.

Last edited by AlabamaLane; 07-30-2008 at 01:16 AM.. Reason: long-winded

Old 07-30-2008, 01:40 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishP7 View Post
Depends on where in the "north" you're talking about. The relatively laid-back quasi-liberal environment of the Twin Cities, for example, is VERY different from the fast pace of the east coast. Feisty ain't gonna impress people there.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:43 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,473,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
So I guess you're in a grey area sierra since you're out west
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships