Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 07:13 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,605,167 times

Advertisements

There is a difference between "fake" southern hospitatlity and a genuine nice southern girl. The latter is just harder to find. Some women are as sweet as pie to your face and then throw you under the bus as soon as you walk away. At least with Northern women, you know where you stand at all times, they don't play games or put on the fake nice face, if they got something to say, they'll say it to your face, not behind your back.

How's that for stereotyping.

I've been all over this country, there are nice women and mean women in every city, go figure. And when you take away all the clothes and makeup and really get to know a northern/southern woman, guess what, they are all human inside.

And capt dan, fried chicken is bad for you! bad, bad, bad

Old 11-17-2011, 07:27 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
I've been across this country several times & back more then I care to count. I notice more of a difference in women from east to west coast more then I do north and south. I would say that the biggest difference ( if there is one) is that northern women tend to be tougher inside & out.
Perhaps like someone else stated they have grown up in bigger cities then here in the south & they have to be tough. Some women ( as some men do) tend to live up to that stereotype that people expect of them. Southern women do tend to have that twang when they are younger but tend to grow out of it. My GF is from Michigan & while she has no accent she does use words that are uncommon to describe something simple. I would have to say that men in the south live up to thier stereotyes more so then the women in the south. As do men in the north tend to do. I think women are the same here on the east coast pretty much. They all have the same hopes & fears.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:29 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
There is a difference between "fake" southern hospitatlity and a genuine nice southern girl. The latter is just harder to find. Some women are as sweet as pie to your face and then throw you under the bus as soon as you walk away. At least with Northern women, you know where you stand at all times, they don't play games or put on the fake nice face, if they got something to say, they'll say it to your face, not behind your back.

How's that for stereotyping.

I've been all over this country, there are nice women and mean women in every city, go figure. And when you take away all the clothes and makeup and really get to know a northern/southern woman, guess what, they are all human inside.

And capt dan, fried chicken is bad for you! bad, bad, bad
What would you know about fryin chicken? I thought all y'all Brentwood ladies hired someone to do your cookin and cleanin??? Or is that Belle Meade???

Old 11-17-2011, 08:42 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,775 times
I think a charming person is better than a person who is trying to charm me.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:50 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
I think we southern women spend more time on our appearance and are 1,000,000x more polite. We have more "charm" and that makes us way prettier than northern. A lot of guys are enchanted by our accents. I love makeup and always look presentable when I step out of the door. And yes we go to church on Sundays and we dress up for that too. I cook yummy southern/soul food (whatever you want to call it, I just call it good eatin') and I say yes/no m'am and sir. I can fish and shoot a gun. I frequent the beauty salon. I wave and smile at people. I have meat on my bones. I say "honey, sugar, sweetie, etc" I guess this seems "fake nice" to some, but that is just how i was raised.

I think I look good (without having to spend more time on my appearance to do so) and I'm polite and have very good manners. I wear make-up and always look presentable and I get dressed for Church too. I can cook a yummy feast as well. I can fish as well, never shot a gun...never had any need to. I frequent the nail salon, hair salon, get waxed...etc.

Northern girls talk and walk fast and are not usually up for friendly conversation. They are harder to talk to, I guess. Also they are a bit "rougher" because they live in or near huge, competitive cities. I know a lot of great friendly girls from the north and there are differences. They are lovely people though, they just talk A LOT faster. I would not say they are rude on purpose, just raised in a different culture and can come across as very rude in the south.

I may talk fast but I walk like a sloth. I'm ALWAYS up for friendly conversation, probably to a fault because I can never just get in and out of a store. Have you been to the north? Other than NYC and maybe Philly, there aren't HUGE cities. A lot of the north is still farmland with suburban cities in the mix. The town I last lived in had a population of 6000 people. I'm far from rude and my husband always tells me I'm too nice and accomodating to a fault. It's just the way I was raised.

For the record I am an Alabama girl (durty south)who is dating a NYer. Northern men are easy to charm. He says he would never date a northern girl ever again. He came down here for college, he originally thought that "down south country" girls could'nt dress or even remotely compare with girls in the north. He could not have been anymore wrong. In fact, I have seen northern women out in public who looked just like they rolled out of bed. Of course I cannot speak for everyone but this is what I have noticed.
I was born and raised in Long Island, NY (think suburbia on steroids) and then moved to western NY when I was 20. It was ALL small towns and farms up there...the biggest cities were Buffalo and Rochester and if you blinked when you drove through you'd miss it! We moved to NC 6yrs ago.

I see southern women looking like they just rolled out of bed too...actually, on the outskirts of my neighborhood I see this a lot and I know for a fact they are southern.

But, all these things you listed above are not a "southern" thing or a "northern" thing. It's dignity, class and respect and both the north and the south have those that have those qualities and those that don't.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:36 AM

6 posts, read 12,775 times
I never heard of a "popped" collar either. I looked it up and found out that is the same thing as a "turned up" collar, so why not call it a "turned up" collar, since that is more descriptive? That look was popular among certain young guys in the early 60s, and was a little too conspicuously "cool," like the guy was trying too hard. It was usually done with light jackets, such as cotton poplin jackets. A guy who would turn up his jacket collar in the back probably always had a comb sticking out of his pants pocket, and pulled it out frequently to come his hair, and may have also worn metal cleats on the heels of his loafers and tended to drag his feet so the metal made little clicking sounds when he walked. Too overdone, as if to say: "Look at me, see how cool I am."

Old 01-15-2012, 03:41 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I was born and raised in Long Island, NY (think suburbia on steroids) and then moved to western NY when I was 20. It was ALL small towns and farms up there...the biggest cities were Buffalo and Rochester and if you blinked when you drove through you'd miss it! We moved to NC 6yrs ago.

I see southern women looking like they just rolled out of bed too...actually, on the outskirts of my neighborhood I see this a lot and I know for a fact they are southern.

But, all these things you listed above are not a "southern" thing or a "northern" thing. It's dignity, class and respect and both the north and the south have those that have those qualities and those that don't.
very true. You can see a mix of different things anywhere

fwiw though (yes i hear ya on L.I...its a bit shallow) but id still rather that than people who shop at kroger in their dirty pajamas...

Up north its too cold to do that, lol, and some "country people" have no sense of decorum. (im talking about middle aged people w. kids....very sad role models)

And I see alot more weirdness in the south, jmo.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:34 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Oh, God yes.

No knock on Northern women, but Southern women just seem to take more pride in their appearances. I moved South from Chicago and when I got off the plane for my interview...Well, my God.
Considering that Mississippi is home to America's fattest people, I would say you are wrong.

nice try though.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:45 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Considering that Mississippi is home to America's fattest people, I would say you are wrong.

nice try though.
Alabama here. And, yes, there are a bunch of overweight southerners. But there are also a passel of corn-fed midwesterners, too. And northeasterners. And westerners (Although not as many). But the Southern women who take care of myself? My God. A friend of mine came to visit from Cleveland a few years back and that was all he could talk about.

Nice try, though.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:46 AM

133 posts, read 330,844 times
In my experiences, I found Southern women more friendly, approachable, and easier to talk to than Northern women. I don't know why that is, but it's just something I found when I've been traveling for work over the course of the last 10-15 years.
In a social setting, I've also found that Southern women will talk to you first, introduce themselves to you first, and generally not carry on an attitude that I have found in many Northern women!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships