Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2008, 05:44 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,168,733 times

Advertisements

Come on yall you cant seriously believe all these stereotypes. I am from the south but I am nothing like the "southern women" you have described. Are they out there? Heck yeah. Are most southern women like this? Heck no. I do not have big hair nor do I wear 10 pounds of make up. I do occasionally fall in the gossip trap but as a whole if I don't like you I'm sure not gonna pretend like I do. I am a tomboy, but I also know how to act like a lady when I should. If you truly look at southern women I'm sure you are going to find most of the population is much more like myself than what has been described. One thing I will say is that a lot of southern women have a little bit of a wild streak, but they try to keep it hidden from most of the world.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:02 AM

857 posts, read 4,870,718 times
The biggest difference I have noticed, having lived half of my adult life in the north and half in the south, is thatsouthern women seem to appear friendly to everybody but it is an indiscriminate friendliness. When they start a sentence with "Bless your heart..." if you translate that in your head to "You stupid schm**k..." then you will get their true meaning.
Northern women don't seem to be as concerned about their "public image" as southern women. If they can't stand you, they won't pretend to be your friend and then turn around and talk bad about you behind your back. They will talk bad about you to your face.
It really is a matter of preference. Some people prefer the facade of friendliness, and some prefer to know exactly where they stand. I don't think there is a right or wrong to this.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:54 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,992,383 times
Born and raised Southern, stuck in the North for now. I think I've taken the best of both worlds and created my own personality. I've always been a tomboy, but can get "dolled up" and be as ladylike as the next girl. I'm more comfortable in the south though because it seems that the sotherners aren't suffering from "Have to do everything fast, because it's too darn cold to slow down" syndrome. I much prefer the laid back easy way of life in the south. Seems a whole lot less stressful. I have to agree with a couple of the other posters in that I am just an "All-American Girl".

I will call friends Hun and Dear, but never a stranger. I, of course, don't mind if I'm down south and the waitress says it to me. I've noticed though that being nice up North gives the wrong impression to some people. I've had guys ask me on dates because I smiled at them and asked how their day was going as they checked out of the gas station where I work, even though my wedding band is clearly visible. Also if they had been the mystery shopper I would have failed if I hadn't smiled..... *sigh* oh well.

I've also noticed here in the North that if they hear a southern accent they automatically deduct about 100 IQ points, so I've worked hard at supressing mine, although it still comes out when I'm really tired or get really upset. I've never been able to get rid of a few words though that give me away.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:03 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,015,528 times
I was always told that Northern women say "You may kiss me" and Southern women say "Y'ALL may kiss me"

Old 03-01-2008, 12:33 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,602,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I was always told that Northern women say "You may kiss me" and Southern women say "Y'ALL may kiss me"
Sounds like a prelude to an orgy!

Old 03-01-2008, 12:46 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,787,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Sounds like a prelude to an orgy!
Northern girl at the orgy prelude: "You, you, and you, kiss me right now."
Southern girl at the orgy prelude: "I'm gonna kiss y'all right now."

Southern guy at the orgy prelude: "Yes M'am."
Northern guy at the orgy prelude: "Kiss me here, no not there, HERE."

Old 03-01-2008, 12:50 PM

402 posts, read 1,014,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
The biggest difference I have noticed, having lived half of my adult life in the north and half in the south, is thatsouthern women seem to appear friendly to everybody but it is an indiscriminate friendliness. When they start a sentence with "Bless your heart..." if you translate that in your head to "You stupid schm**k..." then you will get their true meaning.
Northern women don't seem to be as concerned about their "public image" as southern women. If they can't stand you, they won't pretend to be your friend and then turn around and talk bad about you behind your back. They will talk bad about you to your face.
It really is a matter of preference. Some people prefer the facade of friendliness, and some prefer to know exactly where they stand. I don't think there is a right or wrong to this.
LOL!!!! You are so right!!!!!

Old 03-01-2008, 01:00 PM

402 posts, read 1,014,421 times
I have lived in TX, CA and now NYC. My bestfriend is a Texan. I guess the differances is that I found is that from a "girls" perspective:

* Southern women dress up "everywhere" (lol..even to the grocery store) and northern women won't
* Northern women are much more traveled than southern women
* Southern women are either "beauty queens" or heavy....northern women are thinner (espcially if you have to walk everywhere) and beauty is equal to being being intellegent
* Southern women are laid back and easy going northern women work hard and play hard
* Southern women like barbecues with family. norhtern women like to travel with their family.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:30 PM

52 posts, read 199,655 times
Southern and Midwestern gals are raised to be "nice". It is more important than anything else (ex: being successful or smart)

Old 03-01-2008, 04:45 PM

438 posts, read 1,505,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
And when you hear a southern woman say "How nice" she really means "F@#$ you". (A joke my momma told me)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.