Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 11:04 AM

77 posts, read 44,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I think I would feel the same as you. I know a lot of people would prefer to live together before getting engaged, but not me. Honestly, I'd rather not live together until after the wedding. Of course, my feelings could be due to the fact that my parents have always lived together but never got married and my mom has always resented my father for it, so it's not a situation that I would want to put myself in.

Yes. I just feel safe to get engaged first. For now, I really don't know how to talk to him again about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 11:05 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
No such thing as a universal timeline. The timeline is up to the two individuals involved.

BTW--if the 2 of you cannot agree on this timeline, it's a darn good sign you shouldn't be thinking about moving in together or marriage at this time.

Another clue you are not ready for either: you don't know how to talk to him about it.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
No timeline involved......You know when you know.

Personally I'd ALWAYS live with someone first before I got engaged as you will find out a HECK of a lot about each other just by living together
Are you a guy? Maybe a man and a woman have a different opinion about it. This is exactly what he said "find how's things going by living together"....
He said the divorce rate is high nowadays. I mean w*f is it. I don' care about other's divorce rate!!!

Any suggestion about next step, how should I talk to him?

Old 12-05-2016, 11:13 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbwindyusa1221 View Post
Are you a guy? Maybe a man and a woman have a different opinion about it. This is exactly what he said "find how's things going by living together"....
He said the divorce rate is high nowadays. I mean w*f is it. I don' care about other's divorce rate!!!
I'm a woman, and I wouldn't get married without living together first.

I think you're going down the wrong road by making this a "man vs. woman" thing, rather than a "you and your partner" thing.

Quote:
Any suggestion about next step, how should I talk to him?
How about something like "I know that you want to move in together, but I don't want to do it without being engaged first"?

There are no "magic words" for this. It's just back and forth communication, and seeing if you can come to an agreement that you both can live with.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
No such thing as a universal timeline. The timeline is up to the two individuals involved.

BTW--if the 2 of you cannot agree on this timeline, it's a darn good sign you shouldn't be thinking about moving in together or marriage at this time.

Another clue you are not ready for either: you don't know how to talk to him about it.

I really don't know how to talk to him again. I am not good at bringing this things up....I don't think woman should bring it up, right?

Old 12-05-2016, 11:16 AM

Thank you reneeh63, I will ask him in this way. Do you think 15 months is a little short for engagement?

Old 12-05-2016, 11:21 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
Quote:
I really don't know how to talk to him again. I am not good at bringing this things up....I don't think woman should bring it up, right?

Why shouldn't a woman bring up the important, life altering topic of conversations?

Can't figure out how to talk to the man, but ready to jump into marriage?

And what are you wanting to say to him.. "I'd like you to change your mind and do things my way, thanks."

Old 12-05-2016, 11:23 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Unless your partner has a knack for mind-reading, you're going to have to bring your feelings up if you want him to know about them.

Yup, some things are hard to bring up. But, honestly, if everyone on the internet told you that you *should* be engaged before living together, would that help your situation any?

Old 12-05-2016, 11:26 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
What? Why not??? You're half of this proposition.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:35 AM

Ok. Thanks, we just talked. Thank you for all the encouragement. I brought it up.
He wants a trial before marriage too see if we are comfortable with each other ....and he asked if I am upset about this.
I told him I just wanted to know how he's thinking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships