Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 02:33 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Yes, it's his choice but why would you choose to make yourself less attractive to the person who needs to be attracted to you?
To feel comfortable in your own skin? I've had ex boyfriends ask me to wear things that I would feel very uncomfortable in. Nope. Not going to wear it. Not for all the tea in China.

My husband tells me that he prefers me without makeup, but I still continue to wear makeup because I simply feel better and more "put together" about how I look with with a little makeup. He sports a mustache, which I am not crazy about. At all. I've teased him about it and he knows that I think he'd look better without it, but it is something he is attached to, apparently, and I guess he would not feel like himself without it. It seems to be growing longer these days too. It makes him look mean. He smiled a very satisfied smile when I told him that. **sigh** He still makes my heart go thump-thump and his kisses are sweet and tender so it's all good.

"I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam." ― Popeye
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 02:52 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
To feel comfortable in your own skin? I've had ex boyfriends ask me to wear things that I would feel very uncomfortable in. Nope. Not going to wear it. Not for all the tea in China.

My husband tells me that he prefers me without makeup, but I still continue to wear makeup because I simply feel better and more "put together" about how I look with with a little makeup. He sports a mustache, which I am not crazy about. At all. I've teased him about it and he knows that I think he'd look better without it, but it is something he is attached to, apparently, and I guess he would not feel like himself without it. It seems to be growing longer these days too. It makes him look mean. He smiled a very satisfied smile when I told him that. **sigh** He still makes my heart go thump-thump and his kisses are sweet and tender so it's all good.

"I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam." ― Popeye
I think it's different if you're asking someone to change their appearance to something that they had not already been doing. But if they were already looking the way you prefer at the time that you met them and fell for them, and then all of a sudden they want to change their look...I think that's a problem. What if they decide it's more comfortable for them to gain some weight or stop showering or brushing their teeth as often as they used to? Is that ok too?

Old 12-10-2016, 03:18 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times
No, of course you shouldn't lie. If it turns out it looks great, you say so. If it turns out as douchey as you expect, you don't say anything. He knows how you feel about the haircut. If he says "how does it look?" You can say "not as bad as I thought it might" if it's true, or something about whatever else you find attractive about him (eyes, whatever). And you don't tell him what to do with his hair, but if he asks of course you can offer your opinion.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I think it's different if you're asking someone to change their appearance to something that they had not already been doing. But if they were already looking the way you prefer at the time that you met them and fell for them, and then all of a sudden they want to change their look...I think that's a problem. What if they decide it's more comfortable for them to gain some weight or stop showering or brushing their teeth as often as they used to? Is that ok too?
I see your point but who wants to wear the same hairstyle year after year?

I still see people with mullets and rat tails, and I've wondered what they tell themselves. Now I think I might understand. It's how their hair was when they met their SO. LOL.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:47 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
I see your point but who wants to wear the same hairstyle year after year?

I still see people with mullets and rat tails, and I've wondered what they tell themselves. Now I think I might understand. It's how their hair was when they met their SO. LOL.
LOL, just to clarify, I'm not saying that no one should EVER change their look or that it's a problem if looks change due to no fault of their own. I'm just saying that I personally don't think someone should intentionally change their look to something they know their partner doesn't like.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
LOL, just to clarify, I'm not saying that no one should EVER change their look or that it's a problem if looks change due to no fault of their own. I'm just saying that I personally don't think someone should intentionally change their look to something they know their partner doesn't like.
Yes, I do see what you are saying and it's a valid point. I guess it depends on how strongly they feel about it despite the opposition. Maybe the OP's bf just really had his heart set on this haircut and wants to try it out.

The same way that I really want to wear makeup despite my husband telling me that he doesn't like makeup. He won't kiss me if I am wearing lipstick, or even a little gloss. But I still wear it almost every day.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:15 PM

1,158 posts, read 961,155 times
My ex husband dyed his hair platinum blonde once. This was 20 years ago when Eminem was big... He looked like a total moron. He has dark hair and by day day 2 his roots were already showing. It was embarrassing to be seen in public with him because it looked so bad. Seriously people would stare. The bad dye job coupled with a very unfortunate haircut really did detract from his overall appearance. A person can wear their hair any way they want to. If he likes it that's all that really matters. If he specifically asks you I would be honest though and just let him know you liked his old haircut better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships