Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 06:00 PM

507 posts, read 458,910 times

Advertisements

I divorced when I was about 45, and have been alone now for about 8 yrs. For the most part, I like being alone, but how nice would it be to have someone to cook for and do my yard lol.

From what I see, men want younger women no matter what their age. For a woman in her 50s I'd need to find a man in his 60s or 70s. Why don't men want women their age? I guess maybe because they CAN get younger women without any problem.

I'm not sociable, I don't drink, I don't go out, there are no single older men that I would be interested in at work, so without having to join a service how does an older woman find a guy? Should I just accept that it's never going to happen for me and learn to be happy alone?

I'd love to hear stories of women over 50 (or even over 40) finding love with a man their age.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:16 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
That's not true, OP. Most men 50+ want women close to their age. I actually see people that age out on what appear to be "first" dates in coffee shops and restaurants, and they're age-matched. It's the sensational cases that get talked about, but those are in the minority. Men DO want women their age.

Women (and men) at all ages find a partner pretty much the same way(s): getting involved in groups and clubs frequented by their age-group (most cities have a 50+ Meetup, among other groups), volunteering for organizations that serve that demographic or address a cause of interest, and last but by no means least: online dating. Church, book clubs, book readings/signings, concerts can also work, too, if you're sociable on those occasions. You may have to come out of your shell a bit, to make this work. Personal growth can happen at any age!

Old 12-08-2016, 06:21 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's not true, OP. Most men 50+ want women close to their age.
^^ What she said.

Quote:
You may have to come out of your shell...
^^This.

Age is just a number ...but a flat affect or boring is just no fun at all.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:25 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,335,295 times
Men do not want women their age I'm on okcupid,most men my age (37) have listed 21-40 or something like that as their preference so decades younger but only a few years older.
I think it's perfectly natural and don't mind about it,I do hear of men dating their own age though,you may still meet your soulmate.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:26 PM

345 posts, read 276,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
I divorced when I was about 45, and have been alone now for about 8 yrs. For the most part, I like being alone, but how nice would it be to have someone to cook for and do my yard lol.

From what I see, men want younger women no matter what their age. For a woman in her 50s I'd need to find a man in his 60s or 70s. Why don't men want women their age? I guess maybe because they CAN get younger women without any problem.

I'm not sociable, I don't drink, I don't go out, there are no single older men that I would be interested in at work, so without having to join a service how does an older woman find a guy? Should I just accept that it's never going to happen for me and learn to be happy alone?

I'd love to hear stories of women over 50 (or even over 40) finding love with a man their age.
Do you live somewhere where you can take things like cooking classes, improv classes, join cool book clubs? Have you looked into Meetup?

I agree with Ruth. You won't meet people without leaving your house. It doesn't have to be the bar scene.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:31 PM

345 posts, read 276,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Men do not want women their age I'm on okcupid,most men my age (37) have listed 21-40 or something like that as their preference so decades younger but only a few years older.
I think it's perfectly natural and don't mind about it,I do hear of men dating their own age though,you may still meet your soulmate.
To be fair, my OLD profile also lists that I'm looking for men 30-45. I tend to get along better with younger guys, and guys in my age group seem to be more conservative and they want to try to change me. Not saying that's always the case and if I met a cool progressive guy in his 50s who shared my interests I would be open to it.

There's also the whole progeny panic that some men go through if they haven't procreated by middle age, so IMO it's better for women over 40 to seek out men who are clear about being either childfree or already have kids and don't want any more.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:58 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
I agree in terms of online dating. Guys think of it as a menu and they pick their ideal - when I was in my early 40's I quite often was contacted by guys in their 60's...rarely 40's...and the majority in their 50's. So just add 10 years to all those figures!

In real life where a guy has to approach a woman in person, I'd say the men would look at women somewhat closer to their age - it's not quite the "kid in a candy store" syndrome you see with online date - they have to be a bit more down to earth.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:11 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
My own age most definitely. My lady is actually 54 and I'm 52. I can't even fathom being with woman who is much more than maybe 5 years younger than me. I do se guys in their 50s pursuing 20 something women but it doesn't work for me. I'm glad, very, that I'm with someone who went through the same times I did, chewing the same dirt the same way.

Times without computers and cell phones,( especially smart ones) enjoys the same kind of music from the same period, it's just more comfortable. I don't think I'm alone that way. There's some one out there for you.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:12 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,791,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post

You sound so . . . old. And I'm older than you. I wasn't sociable either but I was starting to go really stir crazy at home so I went out and found a social hobby and found out that I'm a pretty good dancer. I do a type of dancing where you don't need to take a partner b/c you dance with everyone. I didn't get a boyfriend that way but I met a lot of people and got more social and now I don't look or feel so old. That's the biggest thing that will keep the opposite sex away is acting older than your age and not having much going for you in your personal life.

I'd say that I my average date is about 5 years older than me and I've noticed that men my age don't answer my messages on POF but I don't have any problems attracting men my age IRL.

So you may not want to dance but you need to get out and meet people--friends have friends you know.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:20 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
"I'm not sociable, I don't drink, I don't go out"

and you wonder what the problem is......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships