Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 10:37 PM

288 posts, read 352,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I don't date coworkers, no exceptions.
Lol, I just got a weird flashback. These are exactly the words, this girl from work that I really liked, had said to me. She may have added later on that she crashed and burned dating a co-worker in the past, but the first phrase was identical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 11:54 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,039 times
I've seen it turn bad. Usually spreading personal information including sexual things that suposedly went on in the bed room to that they are secretly gay or they have a small one. One of the girls would hold her pinky up when the guy would pass by and told the whole department he was small. I've seen it happen a couple of times.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:39 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayMoe10 View Post
It depends on the situation. If you are both cashiers at Target, it's probably not that big a deal. If you are both in professional careers and either of you could one day be the other's boss, don't do it. It could jeopardize your career.

Also, could you handle seeing this person daily if it doesn't work out?

Speaking from personal experience, I would never do it again. It's too difficult for me to see the person five days a week after things go sour. On the other hand, quite a few people in my organization have met and married each other on the job. Company rules dictate that they work in separate departments or at least not in potential superior/subordinate roles. You may also want to check your employee handbook, because some companies have policies about interoffice dating.

But really, in the end, the heart is a dum-dum and it wants what it wants, so do whatever you think is best.
I would definitely agree with this. If you're working at Target or fast food, grocery store, etc, I wouldn't think it was a big deal at all. Not knocking those employed at those types of places, it's just that most people don't stay there forever.

If you're in a more professional setting, it could be a problem.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:47 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,305,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QweffL View Post
Lol, I just got a weird flashback. These are exactly the words, this girl from work that I really liked, had said to me. She may have added later on that she crashed and burned dating a co-worker in the past, but the first phrase was identical.
I don't believe in s**tting where I eat because to me work is for work and the occasional social interaction. But not for dating way too awkward.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:19 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
It can work, but proceed with caution. The rules?

1) Make the overture subtle. As in lunch. Two co-workers having lunch? No big deal. See if the chemistry is there.
2) See if she wants to grab a glass of wine or beer after work. Again, no big deal.

If it seems to be going somewhere after that, it's time to really be cautious.

3) There's dating and there's work, and the two do not ever meet. Easier said than done.
4) Keep it completely utterly out of view of the co-workers for as long as humanly possible. Otherwise, every interaction between the two of you will go under the proverbial microscope.
5) If you two absolutely, positively adore one another and want the relationship to get deeper, you need to really think about how to manage things. Typically in large corporations, it means someone has to transfer out of the department or leave the company altogether. Think this through before letting anyone know. And if one is higher than the other on the organizational chart, it's best to go ahead and have someone leave the company, rather than both getting shown the door.
6) If you get serious, then it's time to let someone in management know. Not to get their approval, but it's better to be proactive about such things than let them discover it on their own.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:35 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Never date coworkers. NEVER date coworkers. NEVER date coworkers.
Keep business and pleasure separate.

Last edited by The Dissenter; 12-09-2016 at 08:57 AM..

Old 12-09-2016, 10:33 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Never date coworkers. NEVER date coworkers. NEVER date coworkers.
Keep business and pleasure separate.
I agree! I'm married to a former coworker - with the emphasis on former - but we had never as much as shared a meal, seen one another outside of the office and been more than appropriate if casual work friends. Once she promoted and went to work at an allied but different agency I finally asked her out after five years of knowing one another. I would not have had we still worked in the same place or would she have accepted if I did.

Dating a current coworker is very bad form and a potential recipe for disaster.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:42 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
No! No! No!

Old 12-09-2016, 01:10 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
I've seen it turn bad. Usually spreading personal information including sexual things that suposedly went on in the bed room to that they are secretly gay or they have a small one. One of the girls would hold her pinky up when the guy would pass by and told the whole department he was small. I've seen it happen a couple of times.
How did that make you feel? You know the whole pinky thing? Did that make you feel less of a man?

Old 12-09-2016, 01:40 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
I did, we're still together. I can see how it can go wrong, but sometimes the "rules" just go out the window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships