Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:19 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,220,119 times

Advertisements

It never mattered all that much to me as long as the person wasn't as dumb as Beavis and Butthead. If you can't divide 100 by 20, that's a problem, if you don't know how to properly use their, there, and they're, that's a problem too. If you can't find Texas on a US map...well you get the point.

I tend to gravitate more toward women who are college graduates since I seem to have more in common with them. It intimidates some guys, but I also like people who are a lot more educated than I am because there's a lot you can learn from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 03:21 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,428,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
It never mattered all that much to me as long as the person wasn't as dumb as Beavis and Butthead. If you can't divide 100 by 20, that's a problem, if you don't know how to properly use their, there, and they're, that's a problem too. If you can't find Texas on a US map...well you get the point.

I tend to gravitate more toward women who are college graduates since I seem to have more in common with them. It intimidates some guys, but I also like people who are a lot more educated than I am because there's a lot you can learn from them.
i had to Educated my lady friend of the court case in the US Supreme court in 1873 about bounty hunters because of something her friends said when we where watching a old show of dog the bountry hunter ...

both her and her friends are lawyers and they going that not legal and i yes it is and it allows in all 50 states and only in some states do you have to check in with the local pd to make sure you follow the rules when doing a pick up in the state or county or city .

she also bet me a steak dinner that i was wrong about the law ..

i explained to her that a bail enforcement agent or bounty hunter can and do cross state lines to pick up there person who has jumped bail and not show up for there courts

She goes and get her computer and looks it up on a law website she belong to and goes you said it all most word for word on the website ..

it was a nice steak dinner

Old 05-11-2011, 04:44 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,240,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You know, there are elite blue collar jobs out there - nuclear underwater welder, instrument builders, high end machinists, etc. I think of these as mostly "guy" jobs, but not necessarily. Really, if you think about it, airline pilot is more like a blue collar job than not - they get paid by the hour, they have a union. A lot of small business owners work at their business, get their hands dirty, and don't have degrees, but are right up there with the professionals in terms of drive, capability, and income.

I could see a doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc. being quite happy with a "high end" blue collar mate.

If there is an extreme difference in motivation, achievement, etc, I don't think its so likely to work. If an MD is satisfied with a fry cook for a mate, for whatever reason, OK then, but in general "what are you going to talk about"?
That fry cook could be smart as heck....we never know. Any man I am with has to have some level of intelligence and be able to talk on my level at least...I understand but sometimes I guess it's just those two people who really know. I know of a couple with a 20 year age difference and sometimes I wonder what the heck do they have in common....well...what do I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
i had to Educated my lady friend of the court case in the US Supreme court in 1873 about bounty hunters because of something her friends said when we where watching a old show of dog the bountry hunter ...

both her and her friends are lawyers and they going that not legal and i yes it is and it allows in all 50 states and only in some states do you have to check in with the local pd to make sure you follow the rules when doing a pick up in the state or county or city .

she also bet me a steak dinner that i was wrong about the law ..

i explained to her that a bail enforcement agent or bounty hunter can and do cross state lines to pick up there person who has jumped bail and not show up for there courts

She goes and get her computer and looks it up on a law website she belong to and goes you said it all most word for word on the website ..

it was a nice steak dinner
classic!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-11-2011, 06:13 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,264,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower101 View Post
Just imaging your attracted to someone, but decided not to pursue because you felt the person was out of your league.
what if you are a college professional who met the man or women of your dreams. was everything you ever wanted in looks, character, principles and personality, but there's one thing he/she is a high school drop out who works at Burger King. would you feel embarrasses
Is your white bf/gf collar arrogant, and spoiled with a sence of entitlement or a down to earth sweet heart. Do you think blue collar people have a chip on the shoulder?
discuss
It would not work out for me but not necessarily because the person does not have a degree or is flipping burgers. It would be because our goals in life are different. I mean if somebody is really good with technical aspects of machinery it is kind of different from somebody who is really good at flipping burgers. There has to be some sort of intellectual curiosity there.

I suck at sports and pop culture knowledge. I'm sure some people would find me boring because there is no common conversation to be had. Same with how I view people who don't have some sort of special technological or scientific knowledge, or people who don't have the drive for a long-term career. If somebody has a degree in a non-technical background I'd still find it incompatible. I don't think it necessarily means that I am "snobby" for having these preferences.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:02 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,428,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
That fry cook could be smart as heck....we never know. Any man I am with has to have some level of intelligence and be able to talk on my level at least...I understand but sometimes I guess it's just those two people who really know. I know of a couple with a 20 year age difference and sometimes I wonder what the heck do they have in common....well...what do I know!
classic!!!!!!!!!
Both her and the other lady who is her good friend are corp lawyer types and it was funny at times when we have had talks laws and she tells me that i hate when you put up that oh i'm just a dumb a$$ country boy in the big city front that you do and that you are really smarter than you seamed because you sitting there and puting on that act that you do around people .. ..

She goes at times it scares the liveing heck out of me when you sitting there in my office and i can not remember something and you recall line for line that the case i'm looking for or the page number in the book that useing as basis of the case .

Old 05-12-2011, 12:04 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,368,960 times
My cousin, a professor, is married to a man who up until 2007 was a night stocker at a grocery store. She met him during her undergrad years. They have married for 14 years. He currently is a SAHD.

My oldest daughter, a teacher, lives with a former truck driver who currently a school bus and works 10hrs a week for his sister at a gas station. . She worked during thier college and for about 4 years after she graduated and was teaching. His sister introduced them He went to college. His mother became seriously ill and died and he moved home to be with the family.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,704 times
I have never been married but I am an 2nd generation of money in my family from my dad being a rich corporate lawyer. I used to date poor guys - but never again. What I've learned is that poor guys are not really headed anywhere in life. If the relationship works it would be shear luck.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:13 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,411,832 times
I tend to date people who grew up in a more working class than I did. I don't really consider the class I grew up in (white collar) as who I am though, because it has more to do with my parents than me. As for myself I have been a few dollars away from homelessness, so I have no judgment for people are trying to make ends meet.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:19 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,411,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
I have to speak against mixed class marriages, as I am the product of a failed one.

Class is not only a matter of income, but also a host of other factors. Consider values, taste, aspirations, recreation, culture, politics etc etc.

Mom's parents by that point were very white collar. Executive, country club, Cadillac, vacation property, European vacations etc etc. Naturally, she went to college. This was never up for debate. Dad was an alcoholic cop from a family of essentially the same things. He dropped out after a semester. Don't ask me how or why that relationship came to pass. All I can say is that life would have been much easier and different for the better had she married "one of her own."
I can somewhat relate to this. Class is also culture, so if you date up- or down-class, you are having an intercultural relationship. I know that one of the biggest issues for marrying someone who grew up much poorer than me was the fact she wanted to have kids much, much younger. She had been wanting to have kids since 14 and was upset not to have any by 20. For me, kids, if I have any at all, won't even be crossing my mind till I'm at least 25. I noticed that one major difference between many classes is the age at which families are expected to have children. Many poorer families have kids earlier, so your parents and your grandparents are not that much older than you, and knowing your great-grandparents isn't nearly as uncommon, compared to more white-collar families. To give you an idea, my mother is 14 years older than my ex's grandmother. I think the movie Juno, while corny in many ways, does a good way of showing how class differences play out. The show Switched At Birth does a pretty good job of it too, though admittedly they stereotype and exaggerate things, it still gives you an idea of the kinds of issues that come up. That show completely reminded me of marrying into my ex's family.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:56 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,134,256 times
my boyfriend and i are from slightly different socioeconomic classes and it does cause a lot of problems. we see the world differently and make very different financial choices. in fact if we do break up i know it will be money related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships