Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 12:43 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,633,481 times

Advertisements

Unless there's a criminal record, what do you expect to find? Age, siblings, etc?

Seriously what else is there that is interesting at all that is there to find?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 02:41 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,787,713 times
When my wife was in anatomy class at a community college she told me her professor was an emergency room MD who lost his license.

I Googled his name and found complaint after complaint....from different states...

I am in healthcare so I understood most of the details....horrific basic mistakes made over and over again....

Old 12-11-2016, 03:15 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,101 times
My high school sweetheart and I reconnected a few months back. I'd always carried a small flame for him, and after talking to him on the phone, I wondered why he was still single and never married. (He's well educated, VP of a global marketing company, good guy.) Turns out he's been arrested several times for DWI (3 times, felony) and for some minor violations like disorderly conduct and public intoxication. It became pretty clear to me that the golden boy had problems with alcohol, which is probably why he was still single. Very sad.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:15 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,297,804 times
A few years ago I was invited to play on a softball team with some guys that know my best friend from work, and my friend is a lawyer. I agreed, and I got the feeling the first time I met them that they were not attorneys or legal assistants at my friend's firm. The team captain was a giant guy, easily 6'7 and over 260 lbs with ripped arms and tattoos. The game went well and I played solidly so they invited me to come and play the next week. I was a bit curious so I googled some of the names on the email chain and it turns out that they are mostly prison guards, but several of them are ex-cops who got fired for misconduct. One of the guys was fired because he would offer to tear up tickets for female motorists in exchange for sexual favors.

I played softball with those guys several times more that season, and then when the team broke up I played on a coed team with several other former members. They were a lot of fun to play with, except it was kinda scary because they all seemed to be teenagers at heart. I would have expected prison guards and cops to have seen a lot of the world and be somewhat experienced beyond their years. Instead, these guys lived and breathed fart and penis jokes and showed plenty of immaturity in many ways. I was 32 at the time and I was like the team dad. They even called me "pops" or "grandpa" when I didn't want to celebrate a home run or a win by dumping beers on my head.

In a completely unrelated event I googled an old co-worker who worked in food service with me as a teenager and I found out he was serving life in prison for aggravated murder.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:50 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,186,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
Pervert. Inappropriate sexual behavior with some legal consequences.
same here. He was convicted of having sex with animals. Did a little digging, it was dogs.

Yea. Glad I found that out. I had no idea that was a real thing.

This is an example of why I find it odd when people criticize me for doing a quick google search when I'm online dating a stranger. It isn't like I hire PIs to follow them.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:54 AM

1,089 posts, read 579,019 times
I'm mildly acquainted with a young woman who in person seems very sweet and caring. A while back, I found her Twitter feed which included a few posts commenting on one of those "trashy" reality TV shows, and which used some extremely vulgar language to describe the people. It was a bit jarring.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:37 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiehere View Post
same here. He was convicted of having sex with animals. Did a little digging, it was dogs.

Yea. Glad I found that out. I had no idea that was a real thing.

This is an example of why I find it odd when people criticize me for doing a quick google search when I'm online dating a stranger. It isn't like I hire PIs to follow them
Agreed. Those that are quick to criticize someone for googling them usually have something to hide. It takes minutes to find out from Google vs. years of lies and deceit with someone. I google all romantic interests now. Unless the finding is really bad, then I'd still give that person the benefit of the doubt by talking to that person, and possibly hearing their side of the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I'm mildly acquainted with a young woman who in person seems very sweet and caring. A while back, I found her Twitter feed which included a few posts commenting on one of those "trashy" reality TV shows, and which used some extremely vulgar language to describe the people. It was a bit jarring.
Yep, it's amazing how some people's online personas are so different compared to their real life one. I usually count the one when they think nobody's watching.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:16 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhRainess View Post
Agreed. Those that are quick to criticize someone for googling them usually have something to hide. It takes minutes to find out from Google vs. years of lies and deceit with someone. I google all romantic interests now. Unless the finding is really bad, then I'd still give that person the benefit of the doubt by talking to that person, and possibly hearing their side of the story.

Yep, it's amazing how some people's online personas are so different compared to their real life one. I usually count the one when they think nobody's watching.
If it's on social media then they definitely don't think no one is watching. It's the opposite, actually.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:46 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,416 times
You know, in another thread I spoke of Googling a potential date. I saw on a site (in which she used her actual name, which was not smart) that she posted she'd slept with some guy and contracted herpes. I didn't want to ghost on her - I said before that ghosting is very childish and stupid - but let her know we're not compatible.

She saved me the trouble. She texted me and said she'd got back with an ex. Good riddance!

Old 12-12-2016, 11:03 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,927,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
You know, in another thread I spoke of Googling a potential date. I saw on a site (in which she used her actual name, which was not smart) that she posted she'd slept with some guy and contracted herpes. I didn't want to ghost on her - I said before that ghosting is very childish and stupid - but let her know we're not compatible.

She saved me the trouble. She texted me and said she'd got back with an ex. Good riddance!
I probably should have posted this in that thread you made, but I have a similar story, which I know I've told on here before. It annoyed the hell out of me when it happened. I met this girl and went on a date with her a few years back, I was so stoked because it was like my first date in an eternity. Everything was going good until she told me point blank ''I have herpes down there''. I was annoyed and thought it was a BS lie and I've heard some strange one's before. I told her that she didn't need to make up something so ridiculous to reject me. She claimed she wasn't rejecting me and said she just wanted to tell me before things got serious and that it was a courtesy to me.

About a month later, maybe even weeks later, I was browsing a dating site and saw her on there. She wrote in her profile that she had ''Herpes down there'' and it was almost word for word what she had told me in person. I felt terrible for calling her out on it, but it did seem made up. If she's saying it online publicly though, it probably wasn't, unless she just wanted attention.

I appreciate that she would be honest about something like that up front, but I also thought she was opening herself up to some rotten people sending hateful messages to her. Especially when she lived in a fairly small town and people she knew may have recognized her on the site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships