Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 08:14 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

"All his electronics"? What does that mean? How much electronics would he have and how much space would they require? And why wouldn't a spare bedroom do? Most people have their own space within a home, but it's usually characterized as an office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 08:24 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"All his electronics"? What does that mean? How much electronics would he have and how much space would they require?
There are a few examples here:

Creating the Ultimate Basement Man Cave - The Six Key Elements - Unfinished Man

Most women I know have very strong opinions on how and whether electronics like flat screens, musical equipment and video game components "fit" into the decor of a home's common areas.

The man cave gives a guy a place free from female influence. He can set stuff up without worrying if "it goes" or if the wires are showing, etc.

OP, if your woman objects to the concept of a man cave, then it's a problem. However, if you NEED to retreat to a man cave, it could also be a problem.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:27 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
My wife objects to a lot of my "stuff" in the house so I really don't have a choice but to have it in the garage.

Examples

Weight bench
Reloading equipment
Deer heads
fire arm cabinets
spin bike
fishing gear
etc

Old 12-13-2016, 08:37 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
He has his "hobby room" where he works on his models. '

Honestly though, I think I'd have an issue if he felt he needed a place where he could retreat and have just "his stuff", so I'm glad I'm with someone who doesn't feel the need to have a separate "man space".

Old 12-13-2016, 08:38 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
The man most likely pays the mortgage payment so I don't understand why the whole house has to be based on the wife's taste and colors. Wonder why your man isn't comfortable at home? Keep the pink to a minimum and share in the furnishing of the home. Most men don't need a whole room to be comfortable. How about letting your man at least pick his favorite chair?
WTH? My husband has had a (strong) say in every so gle aspect of our house, LOL. The last two times we got new bedding he picked it out alone. He found our kitchen and living room furniture style as I was at a loss and from those styles we went to the showroom and picked. I think the last thing I chose alone was a set of throw pillows in a maroon pattern to offset the chocolate couch. We have no pink furnishings. We have earth tones.

He does not have a man cave here as we do not have a room but in our old place, he had his "computer room".

And ahem. Psst. WE pay for our house.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
There are a few examples here:

Creating the Ultimate Basement Man Cave - The Six Key Elements - Unfinished Man

Most women I know have very strong opinions on how and whether electronics like flat screens, musical equipment and video game components "fit" into the decor of a home's common areas.

The man cave gives a guy a place free from female influence. He can set stuff up without worrying if "it goes" or if the wires are showing, etc.

OP, if your woman objects to the concept of a man cave, then it's a problem. However, if you NEED to retreat to a man cave, it could also be a problem.
Most couples I know agree on where they want the TV; it's either in the den or in the bedroom. I'm the one with the music equipment, in my "woman cave"--my library/music room. Video games are for kids. I don't know any adult men who play video games. I think the whole "man cave" thing wouldn't even come up as a need for most couples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer;
My wife objects to a lot of my "stuff" in the house so I really don't have a choice but to have it in the garage.

Examples

Weight bench
Reloading equipment
Deer heads
fire arm cabinets
spin bike
fishing gear
etc
I would welcome a weight bench and workout room incl. spin bike, deer heads are cool, fishing gear, etc. I don't see why that would require a cave, nor why it would be exclusive to men. Women have weight benches and stationary bikes and weights, too, and enjoy fishing and shooting or archery. Sports equipment is usually kept in the garage, or in a sports equipment closet (with the tennis racquets, etc.), or wherever there's spare storage space.

I had music equipment and instruments, and archery equipment, as a teen, and didn't require a cave for it, lol.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:51 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"All his electronics"? What does that mean? How much electronics would he have and how much space would they require? And why wouldn't a spare bedroom do? Most people have their own space within a home, but it's usually characterized as an office.
"Most people" don't have that much space where each has their own dedicated space, or office, or hobby room in their apartments or houses. Its a bit of a luxury.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:51 AM

409 posts, read 293,087 times
Is there a second part to this question? I don't understand why having a place for either wives' or husbands' hobbies or pastimes is an issue. I have a needlework and beading room and he has a basement workshop and a barn. He likes to tinker with old radio, stereos, and electronics, which evidently requires lots of meters, wires, and associated small and not so small parts. Obviously he's not going to be doing this in the dining room. Though he might if he was a bachelor! When we were dating he was constructing a solar reflector in the living room of his apartment.

As for the women's taste dominating the entire house, what an antiquated notion. We've been married since 1981 and my husband has always had an equal interest and say in these matters (fortunately, we have nearly identical tastes). And we paid for our houses with wages from BOTH of our jobs. It's true that my mother did the decorating in our family home but that was a different generation--they were born around 1920. And having her taste predominate was a blessing since my father had a predilection for garish furnishings.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
"Most people" don't have that much space where each has their own dedicated space, or office, or hobby room in their apartments or houses. Its a bit of a luxury.
Then why are we discussing man caves at all? Who has the space for that? The thread topic assumes the home has enough space for one.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:56 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
Yeah, I was going to say: the real estate person who created the term "man cave" wasn't pitching it to the average urban dweller in a high cost of living city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships