Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2016, 01:12 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've lived here my whole and NEVER once have I ever heard of a someone duck hunting in California

The Bay area is hyper-liberal to the point of idiocy at times, I can't imagine it being a hot bed for duck hunting activity, if it is it's most likely people coming in from other parts of the country, most certainly not the locals up there. They won't even send illegal immigrants that are known dangerous felons to ICE, can't imagine them hunting and killing cute little ducks
The Bay Area has always had huge conservative pockets. Even Berkeley! Yes, Berkeley (parts of it) helped get Nixon and Reagan elected.
I accompanied my uncle and my cousin duck hunting in the Bay Area as a kid. The Suisun Delta has property owned by a duck club, with duck blinds for members' use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 01:19 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
I've lived here my whole and NEVER once have I ever heard of a someone duck hunting in California

Oh man, duck hunting in California has a long long, and at times, sordid history, especially in regards to the old commercial hunting industry. I lived in SF a bit and knew plenty of duck hunters.

If you're into a bit of tale telling, there is this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Wildlife-Wars...1746682&sr=1-2

He was a game warden in Northern California, and some of the stories about catching poachers (including for ducks) make for an interesting read. I think he's definitely stretching some truths though. Though, he has the bio:

"Terry Grosz earned his bachelor's degree in 1964 and his master's in Wildlife Management in 1966 from Humboldt State College in California. He was a California State Fish and Game Warden, based first in Eureka and then in Colusa, from 1966 to 1970. He then joined the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and served in California as a U.S. Game Management Agent/Special Agent until 1974. He then was promoted to Senior Resident Agent and placed in charge of the States of North and South Dakota for two years, followed by three years as a Senior Special Agent in Washington D.C., with the Division of Law Enforcement. In 1979 he became the Assistant Special Agent in Charge in Minneapolis, and then transferred to Denver, where he remained until his retirement in 1998."

Old 12-14-2016, 01:36 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The Bay Area has always had huge conservative pockets. Even Berkeley! Yes, Berkeley (parts of it) helped get Nixon and Reagan elected.
I accompanied my uncle and my cousin duck hunting in the Bay Area as a kid. The Suisun Delta has property owned by a duck club, with duck blinds for members' use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Oh man, duck hunting in California has a long long, and at times, sordid history, especially in regards to the old commercial hunting industry. I lived in SF a bit and knew plenty of duck hunters.

If you're into a bit of tale telling, there is this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Wildlife-Wars...1746682&sr=1-2

He was a game warden in Northern California, and some of the stories about catching poachers (including for ducks) make for an interesting read. I think he's definitely stretching some truths though. Though, he has the bio:

"Terry Grosz earned his bachelor's degree in 1964 and his master's in Wildlife Management in 1966 from Humboldt State College in California. He was a California State Fish and Game Warden, based first in Eureka and then in Colusa, from 1966 to 1970. He then joined the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and served in California as a U.S. Game Management Agent/Special Agent until 1974. He then was promoted to Senior Resident Agent and placed in charge of the States of North and South Dakota for two years, followed by three years as a Senior Special Agent in Washington D.C., with the Division of Law Enforcement. In 1979 he became the Assistant Special Agent in Charge in Minneapolis, and then transferred to Denver, where he remained until his retirement in 1998."
Never said it didn't exist, just never heard of it. Usually when things are popular enough they find their way into local mainstream "consciousness" is all.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:52 PM

468 posts, read 553,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
In our situation, that he doesn't have "his own physical space to retreat to" doesn't mean, by any stretch, that we spend every moment together, or do everything together.
From the responses I've read so far it seems people think if a man doesn't have a designated 'man space', then by default he must be spending time with the woman, is stifled by her and doesn't have any space for his own things or activities.

I find this strange. Functional couples I know don't operate like that. When they're at home their activities naturally occur depending on previous plans or spur of the moment events and the like. Couples I know just naturally adapt to the other's space, too. As in, the man/woman will help the other find space to accommodate the other's belongings when the need arises.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:55 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Never said it didn't exist, just never heard of it. Usually when things are popular enough they find their way into local mainstream "consciousness" is all.
I'll admit I'm at a loss too. I've lived in CA for a good few years now and I can say with 100% confidence that I have never once heard anyone, including anyone who hunts, mention duck hunting, much less "sea" duck hunting specifically.

Ah well.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:15 PM

468 posts, read 553,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragnox View Post
Oh please, that's hardly the case.

When my fiance gets back from work it's quite common for her to spend lots of time watching Netflix or doing other things with the living room TV/setup, so am I just supposed to sit around waiting for her to get done? She also spends a lot of time on the computer, so should I just sit around waiting for her to get done? Both of us having our own space allows us both to do whatever it is we want to do without bothering the other, though we still do lots of things together.

You imply man spaces are needed because women are greedy with belongings. It sounds like 2 siblings fighting rather than a couple. Doesn't sound like a mature relationship to me. I'm not sure why you insist this is about men doing things with the women; it's about him not feeling welcome and a part of their home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragnox View Post
Yeah, I have to disagree. Until I met my woman most of the women I dated beforehand would mock and get upset if I spent any time doing anything I usually do, unlike my fiance. Now granted, being 42 her being older could have some to do with her being more accepting, but as a 30 year old man I can say most women my age or younger would not be happy.
It seems like you've only dated immature females and had childish relationships, then. As if you dated your sister or a disapproving mother. I cannot say this represents most or even many women.

But anyway, good that you found someone compatible. I'm sure she appreciates your qualities as well.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:21 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
This thread just gave me an idea to turn my bedroom into my personal man cave. Granted, I'm single so this works out perfectly for sporting events

Old 12-14-2016, 03:27 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,060 times
I prefer the dojo, or an abandoned warehouse to work on old cars and welding projects
instead of a room with yet another TV or XBOX

but to each their own.

If I really, really wanted a place that was private and not casually accessable, I would buy a sailboat.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:40 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
This thread has taken on far more stupid turns than it should have. LOL, I mean it's not that big of a deal. A man cave or a woman cave or whatever label is just a separate area that someone can sorta call their own and do their own thing in it. There's no nefarious intentions or evil plotting and planning going on and how a person hates their spouse etc etc, judging by some of the stupid posts here you'd think that there's some guy a la the unibomber sitting in his man cave twirling his mustache. It's just simply a separate space where a guy can layout all his hobby crap and the same for a woman and not have it laying all over the main living areas.

I don't know why this needs to be sooooooooooo complicated. LOL, I mean really.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:59 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
The man most likely pays the mortgage payment so I don't understand why the whole house has to be based on the wife's taste and colors. Wonder why your man isn't comfortable at home? Keep the pink to a minimum and share in the furnishing of the home. Most men don't need a whole room to be comfortable. How about letting your man at least pick his favorite chair?

You must be like 85 years old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships