Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 12:17 PM

1,199 posts, read 728,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Try using this example when your SO's craft table starts finding its way in front of the television when you're trying to watch tv.

It's not just a one way street like you are assuming it to be

Their are very real reasons for having your own space in a shared home.
It's not all associated with "getting your way"
Like I said, within reason. Having a permanent bicycle workstation stand in the living room would not be appropriate. Needless to say would a permanent craft's table in the middle of the living room be either.

I mean more along the lines of a sound system, or a playstation, or some art that you find tasteful, etc etc etc being banished because it doesn't fit her vision. Before you know it, anything that has anything to do with who you are is banished to the "man cave." Nah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 12:19 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,490,426 times
My " man cave " is in the boozer with the boys

I've never lived in a place big enough to have a separate space just for me when in a relationship plus I really wouldn't particularly want it as there wouldn't be any need for it.... If i need space or whatever I'd just go out

Old 12-16-2016, 12:36 PM

52,011 posts, read 52,464,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
My " man cave " is in the boozer with the boys

I've never lived in a place big enough to have a separate space just for me when in a relationship plus I really wouldn't particularly want it as there wouldn't be any need for it.... If i need space or whatever I'd just go out
From what I know of the UK, the average house there is fairly small, not enough "left over" space. Here in the states especially about 10 plus yrs ago in the suburbs where land is cheap home builder started a trend in homebuilding in what is now called "the McMansions" where homes were up to 5 bedrooms and square footages of 3000 foot plus and they were reasonably priced.

Other parts of the country the real estate is so expensive that the idea of having "extra" space for man caves is a completely foreign concept.

All the big metro areas like DC, NYC, LA, and others, homes are so expensive and land is so expensive that you just can't go around building 3000 square foot homes unless you've got some serious FU money.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
From what I know of the UK, the average house there is fairly small, not enough "left over" space. Here in the states especially about 10 plus yrs ago in the suburbs where land is cheap home builder started a trend in homebuilding in what is now called "the McMansions" where homes were up to 5 bedrooms and square footages of 3000 foot plus and they were reasonably priced.

Other parts of the country the real estate is so expensive that the idea of having "extra" space for man caves is a completely foreign concept.

All the big metro areas like DC, NYC, LA, and others, homes are so expensive and land is so expensive that you just can't go around building 3000 square foot homes unless you've got some serious FU money.
TBH you don't need 3,000 square feet to have the extra space. In my early twenties I owned a four bedroom house with a finished basement. It was 1,500 sqft. Had three roommates at one point and still had a room that was basically my DJ studio.

I don't believe in a "man cave" in principle, but you don't need 3000sqft to carve out the space.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:57 PM

52,011 posts, read 52,464,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings18 View Post
TBH you don't need 3,000 square feet to have the extra space. In my early twenties I owned a four bedroom house with a finished basement. It was 1,500 sqft. Had three roommates at one point and still had a room that was basically my DJ studio.

I don't believe in a "man cave" in principle, but you don't need 3000sqft to carve out the space.
I was just giving an example, I'm sure there are man caves in smaller houses too.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:10 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,428,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings18 View Post
Like I said, within reason. Having a permanent bicycle workstation stand in the living room would not be appropriate. Needless to say would a permanent craft's table in the middle of the living room be either.

I mean more along the lines of a sound system, or a playstation, or some art that you find tasteful, etc etc etc being banished because it doesn't fit her vision. Before you know it, anything that has anything to do with who you are is banished to the "man cave." Nah.
It's effectively the same difference
The only thing differentiating them to you is your own bias towards what you believe is "normal"

It's not about banishing or punishing people, it's a total matter of considerations

It's up to the indivuals involved to decide what their "normal" is and work with what their own circumstances have given them.

Examine what a "man cave" is and not the stereotypical meaning most rush to judgment towards. You will find we all have our "man caves" we retreat to when we desire to utilize them.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:18 PM

409 posts, read 291,055 times
Exactly. He might like to make the dining room table a workspace for rebuilding old radios. I might like to make it into an embroidery and beading table. But we both live here, so....

Quote:
Try using this example when your SO's craft table starts finding its way in front of the television when you're trying to watch tv.

It's not just a one way street like you are assuming it to be

Their are very real reasons for having your own space in a shared home.
It's not all associated with "getting your way"

Old 12-16-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
It's effectively the same difference
The only thing differentiating them to you is your own bias towards what you believe is "normal"

It's not about banishing or punishing people, it's a total matter of considerations

It's up to the indivuals involved to decide what their "normal" is and work with what their own circumstances have given them.

Examine what a "man cave" is and not the stereotypical meaning most rush to judgment towards. You will find we all have our "man caves" we retreat to when we desire to utilize them.
It's not the same difference. I object to what is the stereotypical idea of a "man cave." And I never used the term punished.

I am merely stating the fact that most "man caves" are in reality, the only place that a man can actually express his tastes and enjoyments in a typical western household, and if you allow yourself to be regulated only to that space for your tastes and enjoyments, you're on your way to misery.

Of course it's about compromise and what works for a couple, as they decide together. A personal space, I do not object to. I think you missed my point.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
Exactly. He might like to make the dining room table a workspace for rebuilding old radios. I might like to make it into an embroidery and beading table. But we both live here, so....
Yeah neither of those should fly. I think you're both missing the point.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:06 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,490,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Sorry mate I've just seen this

Yes it's tiny over here compared to over there from what I gather mate and it costs a bomb as well!!!..... Even a right doss house costs a premium here in London anyway.

Luckily the " shoebox " is quite fashionable apparently

But no with housing you are extremely lucky over there from what I can see with the size and the cost overall and if that job in Texas did came through I could have had a few man caves and one with a swimming pool/tub etc !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships