Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 11:23 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A big-screen TV? So, this is assuming the couple has agreed to splurge on two TVs: one for them both to share, and one for him exclusively? Is this a thing? Or does this presume the wife doesn't watch TV, so he keeps it in his cave?
This is getting funny.

We have *gasp* FOUR big-screen TVs. One in the living room, one in his mancave, and one in each of our bedrooms (yes, we each have our own bedroom and bathroom).

And we aren't even rich (except in love)!

Our house is a 1980s 3br/2ba 1500sqft ranch with 500sqft walk-out basement (aka mancave), and we got all of our furniture and electronics on craigslist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 11:25 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Only on CD can the concept of a man cave cause major confusion. Jesus. It's not that difficult.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:28 AM

195 posts, read 161,423 times
Quote:
Yes, this. I'm not getting the concept of separate stuff for him that she wouldn't share, or a house with two of everything. If the house had gym equipment, nice sound equipment and maybe even recording equipment (a personal fave), a nice TV, firearms and/or fishing equipment, and so forth, I would use that just as much or more than the man of the house. Why would it be designated as his? What about ski equipment, would that be allocated to the man cave for some reason, or kept in a common area?

I think this man-cave idea has only a limited application to couples who have only gender-polarized interests, tastes and activities. I've never run into that, among the people I know. OK, in one case, an uncle was into hunting, wife wasn't, but his daughter went with him, and learned to clean and skin the ducks and animals, so it wasn't just a guy thing. Another uncle would go on fishing vacations alone. But he and his wife shared everything else, other hobbies. He had a home office which was work-related only.
Here's a good article about it:

Why Men Really Do Need a Cave

Quote:
Calm down, ladies. When a man wants his own space in the house — be it a cave, garage, bar, media room, billiards hall, woodshop or bowling alley — it’s not a red flag indicating that he's rebelling in your relationship, trying to avoid you or shirking social commitments. In fact, having one’s own personalized space is actually necessary and important psychologically for everyone.

“Space is very important for regulating emotions,” says Sam Gosling, a University of Texas at Austin psychology professor and author of Snoop: What Your Stuff Says About You. Gosling studies how space is a powerful mechanism for evoking our emotions, and he’s seen firsthand how having your own space, decorated by you alone, can positively affect emotional well-being. “It’s incredibly important to be in one’s own space and resonate with who one is,” he says.
Quote:
Enter man caves. Whether we're building a boat, playing computer games, reading car magazines, listening to loud music, working on a motorcycle, or watching action movies or five sports games at once, man caves serve a basic psychological function, even if the guy is aware of it or not. And it's especially vital if the guy's emotional needs aren’t being met in other spaces. (Sorry, honey, but that fake moss inside a cloche is doing nothing for me.)

“It’s a way of saying, ‘I love my family and flowers, but that’s not what I need to regulate my emotions,’” Gosling says. “Man caves are the architectural equivalent to hanging out with your mates."

Also a good article about men and videogames.

What Women Should Now About Men & Video Games

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
I built my 'man cave' from the ground up by myself! Actually, it's about 160 square feet mounted on posts 100 feet from the house overlooking a creek.

I have a 4k tv, surround sound, air, heat and ceiling fan. All black leather furniture with the plushest carpeting and best pad you can get!

Interesting my guy friends were skeptical about when I told them my plans. Now they all want one. A lot of the ladies want to have movie nights in it. I require food or beverage upon entrance thou.

My next move is electric shades and complete control of all functions such as lights from a smart phone.
We have Amazon Echo/Alexa that controls lights in our main rooms. "She" also controls our smart thermostat that we just installed this morning. The light bulbs/stations can get pricey, but it's worth it. We just tell her to turn off/on lights in X room. It's awesome. Our room, the kids' room, and one lamp in the living room has the multi-color changing light bulbs.

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Why would you have to build a separate building for that? Why is that a "man" thing?
Because typically, men are the beer-drinking football-game-watching kind with like-minded friends, and they have a place to go where they can be loud.

That frees up the other TV for the old lady and her reruns of Pretty Woman.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:29 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
Only on CD can the concept of a man cave cause major confusion. Jesus. It's not that difficult.
OK, so this is just about the guy having his own private space, not that men need electronics, or a stereo and TV, while women don't? Because throughout the thread, the cave concept has been justified or explained as men requiring certain things that are somehow (wrongly) assumed to be outside of women's realms. That's where the confusion arose.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:30 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,472 times
I kind of want a man cave of my own, lol. Big screen tv and surround sound, beer fridge, pool table, juke box. Although I'd be watching the Science Channel, not football.

Okay in all seriousness it doesn't bug me one bit if my guy had a room for his hobbies and interests. Why would it? Although my boyfriend does restoration as a hobby and uses a barn/garage for that. He needs a man building, not just a room.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:31 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Because typically, men are the beer-drinking football-game-watching kind with like-minded friends, and they have a place to go where they can be loud.

That frees up the other TV for the old lady and her reruns of Pretty Woman.

Yeah.....because we know women fantasize about being prostitutes?
This is only getting worse, 'vex. But ok, I get it in the case of men who are into watching sports. They need a place to do their male bonding.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:34 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think it's just an area that a man can have that is laid out as he likes it. Decorated in a way that is "man-ish" with sports team paraphernalia , stereo system, gaming systems, large screen TV, whatever other stereotypical things that men are into.

I can see this because anecdotally speaking we all know that women tend to be a bit more into house decorating and furniture and all of those types of things. Heck, we watch a lot of HGTV shows such as Fixer Upper and Property Bothers and a good chunk of the time the woman of the husband wife couple is pretty much calling most of the shots, generally speaking. So I think that's where the idea of a "man cave" came from.
The gender stereotypes perpetuated by shows like that never cease to amaze me. But, since that's what people want to believe, it's what sells, I guess.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:34 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
Here's a good article about it:

Why Men Really Do Need a Cave

Also a good article about men and videogames.

What Women Should Now About Men & Video Games

What's all this "calm down, ladies" stuff (as stated in the quoted part of the article)? I don't know any "lady" who objects to a man having his own room in the house provided they do have the extra room.

"What? Your man wants a room for his stuff? And you don't mind? YES YOU DO! So stop it!" Uh...

What silliness. Actually, it's all kind of been silliness. This pearl-clutching is being put onto women when we're not even doing it in the first place, and then the thread has gone from that assumption to extremes. Duh. People who have extra rooms in their homes use those rooms in various ways. Alert the presses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships