Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 02:38 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,144 times

Advertisements

He may resonate with the ancestral and cultural aspects of being Jewish (understandably) and not the religious aspects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 02:43 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,738,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
He may resonate with the ancestral and cultural aspects of being Jewish (understandably) and not the religious aspects.
This I understand. I am Middle-Eastern, but that's about it. I don't really resonate with my heritage. It doesn't change the fact that when I asked me about it, I replied and didn't get upset or defensive.

Is it this ludicrous to want to get to know him better by asking about his cultural heritage?

Old 12-14-2016, 02:44 PM

102,177 posts, read 107,735,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
This is quite common. I don't think that's the focus of the OP's issue, though. If I understood correctly, HE's the one who's turning it into a religion issue, and is being evasive on that basis. She's merely inquiring about his ancestry and culture, mainly, but he's taking it the wrong way, and shuts down.

Old 12-14-2016, 02:49 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,975,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
This I understand. I am Middle-Eastern, but that's about it. I don't really resonate with my heritage. It doesn't change the fact that when I asked me about it, I replied and didn't get upset or defensive.

Is it this ludicrous to want to get to know him better by asking about his cultural heritage?
So anyway.

You've told us so many, many negatives. What is it you like about this guy? IOW, what is it that stops you from simply cutting this off and looking for someone better suited to you? What's worth this degree of power struggle over one specific issue (from both your sides)?

Old 12-14-2016, 02:52 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,738,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is quite common. I don't think that's the focus of the OP's issue, though. If I understood correctly, HE's the one who's turning it into a religion issue, and is being evasive on that basis. She's merely inquiring about his ancestry and culture, mainly, but he's taking it the wrong way, and shuts down.
That's exactly it!

His religious practices or lack thereof do not affect my opinion of him. He claims we have similar views (though I would never claim to be an 'atheist' since I have no proof of anything), so why is he making such an issue of my questions pertaining to his ancestry? After all, religion should be the issue, not his ancestry.

I cannot possibly foresee a solid relationship with someone who cannot even open up about his ancestry. It makes me wonder about the things he could be hiding somewhere down the line. I have to look at the bigger picture here. If he can't communicate on such matter, there are many things he could be concealing. It gives me the feeling that I cannot fully trust him which therefore triggers my walls to come up. I cannot be myself around someone who is clearly not able to fully embrace himself around me.

I'm seeing the following reasons here:

1. Given my background, he does not want to tell me about his out of fear this will turn me off completely
2. He does not see any long-term potential, so he is not opening up
3. He is in denial about his own ancestry/heritage (which is odd because otherwise, he wouldn't be so obvious about it on Facebook or with his friends who gave him a Jewish nickname)

When I asked him about why he always brings up my background, he said: 'Because I know you don't really have strong ties with your background, so I like to tease you about it'.

This is strange.

Last edited by LostinPhilly; 12-14-2016 at 03:08 PM..

Old 12-14-2016, 03:39 PM

29,732 posts, read 34,340,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post

His religious practices or lack thereof do not affect my opinion of him. He claims we have similar views (though I would never claim to be an 'atheist' since I have no proof of anything), so why is he making such an issue of my questions pertaining to his ancestry? After all, religion should be the issue, not his ancestry.
The only thing I can think of is that even if he's a secular Jew, he might have grown up or associated with people who were very pro-Israel. With you being from Muslim background, it might have brought up controversial stereotypes within him, like he thinks you're going to get into your own Palestinian/Israeli conflict.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:08 AM

52,160 posts, read 52,609,244 times
Things you resist talking about Religion and Politics as the old saying goes.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:43 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,336,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Things you resist talking about Religion and Politics as the old saying goes.
Yes, but it's not so simple with relationships.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:51 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,122,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Well, since the cornerstone of all lasting relationships is mutual respect, then people have to be mature enough to listen to a different viewpoint without trashing it.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:56 AM

52,160 posts, read 52,609,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Taking the OP on face value the guy is weird. Got to lot of baggage and negative energy tied to that subject.

People make things so much harder than they should be, a normal well balance response would be a simple I prefer to not get into discussion about this subject, but whatever, part of the human condition is a complete lack of logic at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships