Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:48 AM

159 posts, read 806,494 times

Advertisements

right HOWEVER.. they talk down to me like a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 09:58 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmywho View Post
You can't demand respect. You earn it.
I disagree with this frame of mind echoed by this and similar posts.

Everyone is to start out with a minimum baseline/threshold of respect. If someone doesn't give it, it reflects poorly on them.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:59 AM

51 posts, read 191,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
So, in one meeting there was a problem with production brought up by a partner. I brought up how we can do things differently, making everyone's life easier, if we did x, y, and z (which is the modern way of doing things). The older people in the group said no, that doesn't work, we've tried it before, so on.

Sometimes the reason something won't work has more to do with the culture of the workplace and the end users than it does with the technology itself. You are highly skilled with the application, but not as experienced in what works and doesn't work in how people use it.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:02 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,831,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowtree22 View Post
... they talk down to me like a child.
The only way to get respect is to demand it like a woman.
This should work:

When everyone is eating lunch, jump up on the table, let your hair loose, unbutton the top two buttons of your blouse, and belt out in your best voice:

R-e-s-p-e-c-t
Find out what it means to me
R-e-s-p-e-c-t
Take care of tcb

Noo, a little respect
Noo, a little respect
I’mma say it one more time

R-e-s-p-e-c-t
Find out what it means to me
R-e-s-p-e-c-t
Take care of tcb

Noo, yeah
A little respect

Old 02-28-2008, 10:02 AM

51 posts, read 191,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I disagree with this frame of mind echoed by this and similar posts.

Everyone is to start out with a minimum baseline/threshold of respect. If someone doesn't give it, it reflects poorly on them.
She's got the minimum baseline of respect - they talk to her, include her in the conversations, and presumably they don't beat her or insult her. What she doesn't have - and what she is really asking for - is a feeling that she is equal to them in experience and wisdom.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:08 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,341,443 times
Quote:
right HOWEVER.. they talk down to me like a child.
I'm in the age group you're referring to and have worked with people of all ages.
It's not right for them to talk down to you but they may not realize they're doing it because you're younger, therefore, in there minds, you need some kind of extra guidance from them to help get you through life. If that's the case, they're trying to be helpful and you need to let them know in a nice way of course that you can handle things just fine.
You sound like you go to work and you do your job. They probably do respect you for that but won't admit to it because you're the young one of the group.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:23 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,957,930 times
Quote:
She's got the minimum baseline of respect - they talk to her, include her in the conversations, and presumably they don't beat her or insult her. What she doesn't have - and what she is really asking for - is a feeling that she is equal to them in experience and wisdom.

Sounds like these women are tying to boss her around because she's younger - which is BS I've been in those shoes and it stinks. Those are the kind of women that feel they are so much better then you just because they are older, or because they have been there longer. Does your boss see this happening? What does she say?

I was in a similar situation - I started making sure I was busy on something my boss needed all the time....so when others "told" me to do something I had to go to boss and say " so n so just told me to do this - which do you want me to do first?" That way - I wasn't "telling" on them - but I was making my boss aware of them taking advantage of me - it stopped. It took a while, but it did.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:27 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,093 times
Quote:
I am 21 yrs old and all the older women at my work (ages 45-55) do NOT repect me they tell me what to do and how to live.... what do i need to do to get respected????
First off, if they're co-workers, it's none of their damned business what you do as long as you perform well within your job. If it was me, I'd ignore it, or tell them to buzz off (depending on whether or not it would make problems at work).

If you really want their "respect" then you're going to have to fit yourself into whatever mold they deem as respectable. And really now, would you be true to yourself if you did that?

My advice, forget about them. Be the best person you can, on YOUR terms, not theirs. If they insist on being nosy biatches and telling you what to do, ignore it or tell 'em to get a life that isn't yours.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:55 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,649 times
It's not easy being in your 20s in your first or second job. I was so highly sensitive at that age and not very happy until I moved into a job (advertising) where there were lots of young ones just like me! That was a fun job! Laid back people - parties.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:18 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,303 times
Quote:
Sometimes the reason something won't work has more to do with the culture of the workplace and the end users than it does with the technology itself. You are highly skilled with the application, but not as experienced in what works and doesn't work in how people use it.
Right, and in that case those people hold back the company. I know its going OT a bit, but I've found it common that ideas are dismissed by "experienced" personnel, even when they are inexperienced in that area. For example, I'm a project manager. One of the youngest. A management consultant was making recommendation in a public meeting, and brought up PM skills. He asked who had training for this.

I was the only one who did. At the time, I wasn't even a PM, and my ideas and recommendations (made through appropriate channels) were dismissed. When I was made a PM by two of the partners, I instituted these changes, and I have yet to run into a project that will lose money - mine are incredibly profitable.

Were my ideas entirely original? No, I got them through learning from some of the best managers out there today, learning and talking with them. I brought it into my office, and because it came from me, these ideas "wouldn't work" because I was "too young and inexperienced". Except, these ideas and recommendations came from people who were incredibly experienced. So it wasn't the message, but the messenger.

Those who replied with flat out "no"s without having any real understanding have since lost any respect I held for them. Those who listened, but weren't comfortable with it, still have my respect. They weren't sure how to implement it, and didn't feel comfortable - thats ok. But dismissing ideas without reason or understanding is absolutely a disrespectful action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships