Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 05:38 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,919 times

Advertisements

While I could care less what other people call each other, I have to admit I don't like the word 'partner' for straight couples. To me, that is a word the Gay/Lesbian community uses. I totally associate that word with the LBGT community.

So I would not use the term 'partner'. I would rather use boy/girlfriend than partner, even if I was 70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 05:40 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,919 times
Or I would say ' the guy I am seeing..or dating' if I were speaking ABOUT the person. Introductions..well just introduce by name. If I just HAD to use a title though, id use boyfriend before partner.

Old 12-25-2016, 09:49 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Depends on the length of the relationship.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:01 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
"Companion" conjures up images of much much older people in a sexless relationship of convenience. At least to me, not trying to be mean here.
You wouldn't really think that if you met me, but that's beside the point.

I use the term "companion" when speaking about my private life at work. They don't know if I'm referring to a woman or a man, a friend or a lover. And it's none of their business unless we become work friends.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
Or I would say ' the guy I am seeing..or dating' if I were speaking ABOUT the person. Introductions..well just introduce by name. If I just HAD to use a title though, id use boyfriend before partner.
I'd skip the title altogether, too. Just use the name, like you suggested. Mr. Davis, this is SummerFall...

Old 12-25-2016, 10:12 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
On the internet board I frequent most, people usually use "significant other" (so). I tend to think of same-sex couples when people IRL say "partner," but I have one friend who frequently says "partner" and she means her boyfriend (now her husband). I assumed she had a female partner. My mistake. My husband's old boss used to talk about his "partner" all the time. I assumed he meant his boyfriend. Turned out he meant his former business partner oops. I have to let go of this same-sex assumption!!

I don't mind "partner," per se, but I wouldn't use that term myself, and I'm not really a fan of it.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:17 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
On the internet board I frequent most, people usually use "significant other" (so). I tend to think of same-sex couples when people IRL say "partner," but I have one friend who frequently says "partner" and she means her boyfriend (now her husband). I assumed she had a female partner. My mistake. My husband's old boss used to talk about his "partner" all the time. I assumed he meant his boyfriend. Turned out he meant his former business partner oops. I have to let go of this same-sex assumption!!

I don't mind "partner," per se, but I wouldn't use that term myself, and I'm not really a fan of it.
That's a good point as it goes

I don't know any gay/lesbian couples at present but over the years people I've encountered ( friends of friends, ex girlfriends friends/siblings etc ) I've never heard a gay bloke say " my boyfriend " or a lesbian say " my girlfriend " .....Always pretty much partner

Old 12-25-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
That's a good point as it goes

I don't know any gay/lesbian couples at present but over the years people I've encountered ( friends of friends, ex girlfriends friends/siblings etc ) I've never heard a gay bloke say " my boyfriend " or a lesbian say " my girlfriend " .....Always pretty much partner
Since gay marriage became legal, I hear people referring to their "spouse" at work. Until they get to know you, and then it's "Yeah, Ron has a husband. I knew his clothes were too nice, dang it"

Old 12-25-2016, 10:28 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,523,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Since gay marriage became legal, I hear people referring to their "spouse" at work. Until they get to know you, and then it's "Yeah, Ron has a husband. I knew his clothes were too nice, dang it"
Hahahaha yeah that's one way to tell

Also spouse ( it's so often used and I always forget about it )

Old 12-25-2016, 10:31 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Dang those people who have the nerve to consider themselves engaged without a ring.
Yeah.....I didn't get an engagement ring until I had been married for 30 years. I guess I was never engaged? He was in the service and I was a poor college student. We were lucky enough to scrape together enough money for plain gold wedding rings. Funny thing, somehow we managed to hang in there for 37 years until he died.

Last edited by jamary1; 12-25-2016 at 10:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships