Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 12:20 PM

221 posts, read 183,953 times

Advertisements

I seldom see bickering and tearing of each other down in long term married couples. I very rarely see those types of relationships make it to even the 10 year mark.

Personally, I wouldn't tolerate a partner trying to tear me down and starting fights for no good reason for more than 10 minutes. That's probably the fastest way to get me drop-kick someone out of my life for good with both my middle fingers held high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 03:22 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
I don't see bickering between long term couples. This is mainly because I try to avoid socializing with bickering couples--no matter how long they've been together. Fwiw, I've been married 25 years. We don't bicker.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:55 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
The real issue isn't that this sort of thing exists, but rather how a couple can recognize it early enough to stop doing it.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:42 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
Typical, maybe. Desirable, no.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:24 PM

12 posts, read 35,826 times
It exists, it happens. I know couples who don't and couples who do; maybe more of the former than the latter but my experience there is probably atypical.

I do think the answer is to know when to leave petty things and when to talk about things that really matter, and to be honest with each other. That, and to, ultimately, recognise that people are flawed and conflict brings out hte worst in each other so it's easy to get stuck in an escalating cycle of being upset with each other.

Myself, it's a whole bunch of constantly imploding disaster , so I guess by all means do take my advice with a grain of salt when I can't even keep things with my own wife good :/

Old 12-22-2016, 11:39 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,358,514 times
Thanks y'all for your perspective and advice on the subject. I have listened to my mom belittle and nitpick my father for as long as I've been alive, even in front of others. It's sad my father is too passive to do anything about it.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:41 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Thanks y'all for your perspective and advice on the subject. I have listened to my mom belittle and nitpick my father for as long as I've been alive, even in front of others. It's sad my father is too passive to do anything about it.
Don't be fearful of that, it doesn't have to repeat.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:42 PM

12 posts, read 35,826 times
I know that feeling. I often feel like it's a stereotype perpetuated by a lot of media that married couples are inherently unhappy and pick at each other all the time, and I do wish I could say it isn't true but for many people it is. Ultimately, it's one of those things that I hope will change but is so deeply embedded into the subconscious of so many people that such behaviour is acceptable that I really don't know if/when

Old 12-22-2016, 11:59 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Bad news: this is apparently the behavior your parents modeled for you.

Good news: it appears you realized that this is no way to live, and you can make a conscientious decision to not replicate this in your own relationship(s).

Old 12-23-2016, 02:46 AM

866 posts, read 629,728 times
Is it typical for long-term married couples to frequently bicker and bring each other down?
LOL, only if they are too lazy or stupid to learn how to do it right!
Quote:
I think that is the one of the roots of my fear to commit to another person in a relationship. Seeing long-term married couples who have been married 30, 40, 50+ years bickering and belittle their spouse make me not want to get married ever. Maybe it's a toxic relationship and I don't realize it.

How do most long-term married couples act?
Any long term (or any-term) couple that has bothered to LEARN HOW to make their relationship work well can and will have a wonderful, loving, respectful and HAPPY union ALL THE WAY THROUGH.
Most of us were not taught, at home, how to have such a wonderful union and fewer still take the time to LEARN HOW so you have all these unhappy couples, plodding through life, like drunken sailors, simply due to IGNORANCE!
And what is sad is that learning and USING good relationship skills (google it) and methods is SO EASY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships