Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 12:06 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

What were his other options?

"She's not hot" obviously a lie
"Never noticed her" obviously a lie

I suspect this is not the first time for the OP, so "Oh her? She's hot, but nothing compared to you, you are the center of my world" might be a little much at this point. Obviously, I don't know that.

OP: was this the first time you have been insecure with your BF?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 12:16 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

I suspect this is not the first time for the OP, so "Oh her? She's hot, but nothing compared to you, you are the center of my world" might be a little much at this point. Obviously, I don't know that.

His other options? He could have responded like a warm, caring partner, and said something along the lines of, "Aww, honey, you know I'm crazy about you, right? We're solid! You're being silly."

Except the OP never brought it up, because on that particular day, all she was trying to do is wait for him to finish so she could use the same machine or bench. He's the one who brought it up. He could have done it more sympathetically, certainly.

edit: ok, I just saw a later post by the OP where she says this type of thing has been an issue between them before, which is why he was brusque with her this time. So apparently they've discussed her insecurities before.

1,830 posts, read 2,150,157 times
This is why I can't stand relationships. Insecure women like this. This is the type of stuff that makes me lose interest quickly. Get a grip and get some confidence in yourself. If I was him and you were doing this stuff I'd start looking elsewhere. Maybe even gym girl.

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm0905 View Post
Hey guys, sorry for no response. I posted this pretty late last night and then fell asleep quickly because I was exhausted.

I know this is my problem and to pin it on S/O even though he's done nothing wrong is making me feel bad. I just need to learn to relax and let him have his gym time without me constantly coming up to him. If I happen to see her near him, I won't think anything of it. The only time I will start to become concerned is if they start talking, but they've never spoken before.

I know this isn't the first time I have become insecure about another girl, which is why he responded the way he did. He has never really given me a reason to not trust him with other girls, so I need to learn to be secure in my trust with him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

But you, I and probably everyone else already knew that my love ...... However kudos for her at least acknowledging this so hopefully their relationship has a future

Old 12-23-2016, 12:19 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
There's always going to be people more attractive than you.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:27 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
His other options? He could have responded like a warm, caring partner, and said something along the lines of, "Aww, honey, you know I'm crazy about you, right? We're solid! You're being silly."

Except the OP never brought it up, because on that particular day, all she was trying to do is wait for him to finish so she could use the same machine or bench. He's the one who brought it up. He could have done it more sympathetically, certainly.

edit: ok, I just saw a later post by the OP where she says this type of thing has been an issue between them before, which is why he was brusque with her this time. So apparently they've discussed her insecurities before.

I was trying to lead the OP to some insights.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-23-2016, 12:37 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwoman View Post
A person who puts up with that kind of blatant disregard for another's feelings is the most insecure of the bunch. When your boyfriend openly drools over other women right in front of you and then tells you they aren't doing anything wrong so get over it, and that woman agrees with him, I see an extremely insecure and fearful woman.

It is the woman who refuses to put up with this sort of bad behavior who gets the good guy and keeps him. And, of course, that goes for men too. I am aware that when I look at other men it may make my husband a bit jealous or if other men look at me or approach me that he may feel a bit insecure. It's not that he doesn't trust me or that he's overly insecure within the relationship. It's human nature to feel a bit concerned now and then. I counteract that possibility by reassuring him in whatever way I think will work. It's not exhausting, it's not a problem at all, it's a labor of love.
Just because you got in a relationship and married an insecure person, doesn't mean everyone else is like that. You're an exception to the rule.

It IS the OP's problem, not her boyfriend's.

Old 12-23-2016, 12:40 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,169,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwoman View Post
Ditch your BF. He's an ass. There's no way he should have responded the way he did. Both women and men have been socialized to think that their partner should not have to reassure them in any way and that if they are feeling jealous, then that is their problem. But, that's not how it works. Both partners should be making every effort to let their SO know that they are more attracted to them than anyone else.
OP, I hoped you listened to the advice in this thread, with the exception of this foolishness.

Stop being insecure or you're going to drive your bf away, maybe right to Gym Girl.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:01 PM

888 posts, read 555,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
This is why I can't stand relationships. Insecure women like this. This is the type of stuff that makes me lose interest quickly. Get a grip and get some confidence in yourself. If I was him and you were doing this stuff I'd start looking elsewhere. Maybe even gym girl.

Not all women are like this. I am surely not, and have dumped men in the past for acting like this. I am a woman and I agree with you.

To the people commenting the guy was wrong and was drooling over the other women, that was never said. Why can't people acknowledge another person is attractive without it being the end of the world? This guy did nothing wrong, and I would bet my life he is used to catering to her insecurities on a day to day basis.

The good thing is, she knows and will hopefully work on this.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:31 PM

676 posts, read 528,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Just because you got in a relationship and married an insecure person, doesn't mean everyone else is like that. You're an exception to the rule.

It IS the OP's problem, not her boyfriend's.
Of course, Good argument. You've completely swayed me.

Do you seriously think that most people don't feel jealous from time to time? If so then I believe you are being either naive or dense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships