Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 11:17 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I kind of started that already, through Meetup. But since I've known them for about a year, rather than 10 years, true friendship is yet to develop. I'll give them credit for their cool hangouts, which have become a distant memory among my original friends.

In a nutshell, "fun" becomes a Cantonese noodle dish, rather than a weekend activity. I see only one upside to settling down: your bosses and your colleagues respect you more at work when you're married or at least in a long-term relationship.

LOL. Do you work for an insurance company in the 1950s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 12:22 PM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
I kind of started that already, through Meetup. But since I've known them for about a year, rather than 10 years, true friendship is yet to develop. I'll give them credit for their cool hangouts, which have become a distant memory among my original friends.

In a nutshell, "fun" becomes a Cantonese noodle dish, rather than a weekend activity. I see only one upside to settling down: your bosses and your colleagues respect you more at work when you're married or at least in a long-term relationship.
I don't know what you mean by that at all. You think couples don't have fun? Why can't you still have fun? My bf still goes hunting with his buddies for the weekend, plays pool in a bar league once a week, I still do things with my friends...but when we're together little things like just sitting around playing Trivial Pursuit or binge-watching Stranger Things snuggled under a blanket on the couch becomes fun, too.

If what you mean by "fun" is going to clubs, both of us had more than enough of that and disliked it even before we started dating. I can't think of anything either of us had to stop doing. We do both like concerts and do that together.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 01-18-2017 at 01:13 PM..

Old 01-18-2017, 12:55 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
Maybe your friends don't like hanging out with you given your negative attitude about relationships. Everyone is free to find the kind of partner that wants the same relationship they do. Some people spend every second together and other people like their freedom. There's no right or wrong way to be. If you are in a relationship with someone where there is mutual love and respect and you're working towards the same goals in life, then being in a relationship can be amazing. There is really no feeling like having a bad day and coming home to hugs and comfort from someone who loves you or being sick and having someone to take care of you and thinks you're wonderful even when you're snotty and gross. Knowing there is a person who has your back no matter what is an amazing feeling. I've never had a problem making time for my single friends since I met my boyfriend, but my friends are supportive of my relationship and they don't make comments about how awful it is to settle down. It sounds like the problem is you and not your friends.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:57 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't know what you mean by that at all. You think couples don't have fun? Why can't you still have fun? My bf still goes hunting with his buddies for the weekend, plays pool in a bar league once a week, I still do things with my friends...but when we're together little things like just sitting around playing Trivial Pursuit or binge-watching Stranger Things snuggled under a blanket i=on the couch becomes fun, too.
Well, the couples I know aren't like you and your boyfriend. Not even close. Instead, they stay together 24/7 (except for work), in and out of their respective homes. Which effectively eliminates things like hunting with friends or---perish the thought!---pool leagues in a bar. That would be like prison for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
There is really no feeling like having a bad day and coming home to hugs and comfort from someone who loves you or being sick and having someone to take care of you and thinks you're wonderful even when you're snotty and gross.
Hmm, I always imagined it differently. Coming home from a hard day at work, and getting berated over socks on the floor, dishes in the sink, not appreciating her, etc, before I even take my shoes off. I'd rather come home to a nice, quiet house. Or maybe my dog's wagging tail.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:06 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
Good lord, OP. Do you think every couple is miserably attached at the hip? Do you only encounter single people when you are out in the world?

Old 01-18-2017, 01:11 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
Quote:
Hmm, I always imagined it differently. Coming home from a hard day at work, and getting berated over socks on the floor, dishes in the sink, not appreciating her, etc, before I even take my shoes off. I'd rather come home to a nice, quiet house. Or maybe my dog's wagging tail.
Wow. If I believed that this is what my future relationship looked like, I'd be leery of settling down as well.

#notevenclosetoallrelationships

Old 01-18-2017, 01:12 PM

50,807 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Well, the couples I know aren't like you and your boyfriend. Not even close. Instead, they stay together 24/7 (except for work), in and out of their respective homes. Which effectively eliminates things like hunting with friends or---perish the thought!---pool leagues in a bar. That would be like prison for me.

Again, this comes down to partner selection. My nephew has the kind of marriage you describe, and I feel bad for both of them, but they got married as teens and they were too young, and started having kids too young. My niece and her husband have kids too but they have a good relationship and there's no nagging or arguing. You just have to know what you want and make good decisions.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:12 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Good lord, OP. Do you think every couple is miserably attached at the hip? Do you only encounter single people when you are out in the world?
And why would you think that a couple wouldn't be together because they enjoy each other's company and like spending time together? If your relationship feels like a punishment, it's time to break up.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:13 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
Quote:

I honestly think it's sad you view all relationships like that. There are some that are that way, but it doesn't have to be like that. My boyfriend had a tough day yesterday and I was at home, so I went grocery shopping and when he got home I made him dinner, we watched a favorite show, and I gave him a massage to help him destress. And he does the same for me when I've had a rough day. Coming home alone is better than coming home to a nagging partner you don't get along with, but coming home to a loving partner is much better.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
LOL @ settling into a life one enjoys and thrives in being seen as a bad thing. Also humorous that is seen as only being something people in relationships do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships