Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 04:45 PM

251 posts, read 188,376 times

Advertisements

Simple, she probably just doesn't like the way she looks in pictures. I hate taking pictures. I think I look decent in person but I'm not photogenic so I avoid getting my picture taken at all costs. If someone asks to take my picture and I say no it really annoys me when they get persistent.

Leave her alone and when the baby is born feel free to take as many pictures of her as you like. It's obvious your heart is in the right place but your wife isn't into it so let it go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 04:51 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
She's not photogenic, she doesn't want to broadcast herself or her pregnancy to the world, knackered......

To many reasons mate.

Congratulations in advanced for your impending first kid

Old 12-26-2016, 05:06 PM

866 posts, read 629,368 times
Default Shame

[quote=Des-Lab;46615812]
So anyway my question is this.
Why is the lady so indifferent-and even avers to taking baby pictures and preps?
She is ASHAMED! She was given toxic shame (google it) in the past and now lives with shame and self contempt so, being photoed triggers her deep and painful or enraging feelings of SHAME and low self worth.

My woman?
Seems like she could absolutely care less about all of this. Perhaps she is even actually against the idea. She hasn't been hostile towards it, but very passive-aggressive in doing everything she can to avoid it.
She is suffering with toxic shame here.

"Babe: I'd like to take some pictures of you"

"Oh well I have to do laundry/make dinner/go to the store/take a nap"
, ad nauseum.

These are all strategies to lower the blistering PAIN that toxic shame produces in her.

And so I don't. It's obvious she's not interested. So I just give up.

When I do bring out the camera anyway, she's quite visibly annoyed.
That's Shame and Self Contempt at work!

She doesn't seem to get this.

She seems to have all the other bases lined up: crib, clothes, rocking chair, baby creams, etc with military precision.

But immortalizing and documenting the event?

Shows absolutely no interest whatsoever.
She's afraid!

Is there a reason for that?
Yes, it's called TOXIC SHAME.

You know anyone else who has no desire to record or remember their lives and the important events?
Yes and she definitely suffers from Shame and bad self worth!

It's obvious she's not interested. I get that.

The purpose of this post is to try and understand WHY she's not interested.

Any ideas?
Google: Toxic Shame and/or Self Esteem to understand what is EATING her - plus how to FIX her problem and get back the self worth and respect that were taken from her during her childhood.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:12 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
RESPECT her wishes.. PERIOD..

Old 12-26-2016, 07:00 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
The purpose of this post is to try and understand WHY she's not interested.
Because she's not? Maternity pictures, while nice, weren't a thing for me, and I am a photographer. There were times I thought about it during my last pregnancy, but it wasn't a must-have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Maybe she's self-conscious about weight gain and appearance?
Not uncommon. I know a lot of women who just weren't into such photos because they weren't comfortable with the physical changes of pregnancy.

I'd drop the issue. She's not interested and that's it.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:08 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
That, sir, means there's a lot more supply than demand for baby bump photos.
Maternity photos is a pretty big component of family portrait businesses (not studios like Olan Mills or Picture People). They often come in "first year" packages that include maternity, birth and another session or two during the first year. And if done by a professional they can be pretty pricey. They have always been an "in" thing in the dozens of pregnancy/parenting/photography forums I've been active in. They are also typically done in the beginning of the third trimester (28-32w), not a few weeks before the due date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships