Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 06:48 AM

280 posts, read 1,222,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Let us know how it turns out.
sure, just wish me luck, I think I'm going to need it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 08:15 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,922,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue64 View Post
sure, just wish me luck, I think I'm going to need it
Good luck!

Old 03-29-2008, 08:51 AM

13 posts, read 38,774 times
A Yankee is a person from outside the South. So, yes, a Californian is a yankee.

If you move to Atlanta and constantly tell us how you used to do things back in New York, you are a yankee.

If you move to Atlanta and brag how you love cold weather, you just might be a yankee.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:42 PM

213 posts, read 784,222 times
you might be a yankee if....

....you own three (or more) seasons worth of clothing.

...when you hear okra you think television personality.

...you purchase your beer, clothing and food from 3 separate stores.

..."long time,no see" is something you will never hear from your dentist.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:06 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,662 times
Quote:
I think RI are Yankee fans for the most part, so they shouldn't mind being called Yankees. Good luck w/ the move.
Most people in Rhode Island and Massachusetts are certainly NOT New York Yankees fans. The Boston-Providence area is hard-core Red Sox Nation.

In this part of the country (Southern New England) a "Yankee" is a player for, or supporter of, the American League baseball team owned by George Steinbrenner that plays in the Bronx. Most people in Boston despise "Yankees."

Beyond that, the term "Yankee" is used mostly by southerners who, for inexplicable reasons, have fond feelings for racist losers who were traitors to the United States of America in the 19th century.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:29 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,922,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Most people in Rhode Island and Massachusetts are certainly NOT New York Yankees fans. The Boston-Providence area is hard-core Red Sox Nation.

In this part of the country (Southern New England) a "Yankee" is a player for, or supporter of, the American League baseball team owned by George Steinbrenner that plays in the Bronx. Most people in Boston despise "Yankees."

Beyond that, the term "Yankee" is used mostly by southerners who, for inexplicable reasons, have fond feelings for racist losers who were traitors to the United States of America in the 19th century.
I'd think that RI would be split between Yankees and Red Sox fans, like the way CT is (west of Hartford = Yankee fans; east of Hartford = Red Sox fans). I would've thought north half of RI being Red Sox fans and south half being Yankee fans. Yes, I realize RI is east of CT and therefore closer in proximity to MA. But over the past few decades, many NY'ers have moved to RI.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:48 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,662 times
Quote:
I'd think that RI would be split between Yankees and Red Sox fans, like the way CT is (west of Hartford = Yankee fans; east of Hartford = Red Sox fans). I would've thought north half of RI being Red Sox fans and south half being Yankee fans. Yes, I realize RI is east of CT and therefore closer in proximity to MA. But over the past few decades, many NY'ers have moved to RI.
You are incorrect. I have lived in both RI and MA, and I can assure you that all of Rhode Island is solid Red Sox country. The Red Sox/Yankee dividing line is actually a bit east of New Haven, CT. Indeed, The New York Times did a story on this very issue in 2006. See: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/18/sp...ll/18fans.html

Old 03-30-2008, 12:00 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
I know this has been posted before, but try it anyway just for kicks.

I took this test a bajillion years ago but can't remember my score...just that it was predominantly Yankee. I'm going to go take it again right now...

Old 03-30-2008, 12:02 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
LOL. Okay. It said:

30% Dixie. You are a dandy Yankee Doodle.

And I am!

Old 03-30-2008, 08:08 AM

19 posts, read 56,634 times
I guess I've only ever considered a Yankee to be from the Northeast...not California, Wyoming, Michigan, etc. This is interesting, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships