Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 01:34 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times

Advertisements

If it's "light enough" that it's not a worry people are not going to care regardless.
That issue is totally moot

if you "suffer" seriously in ways that can be debilitating or concerning...as you have said people will notice and question or remove themselves entirely

The issue here is how to tell someone your concerns and how to do it in a way that doesn't immediately turn someone away.

They answer is, you can't.

Express your concerns to them, but don't expect it to change anyone who hasn't already decided they want nothing to do with it (and by extension, you)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 01:51 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
From other threads/posts from this op, he seems to be more easily subject to being more trusting than others might be.
Rather than being as much concerned about how a new lady friend might view him, it may be more important that he needs to evaluate them.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:13 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,479 times
I don't think that you really need to tell them when you first meet them. Why? Because it's really none of their business, especially when they barely know you.

There's certain things that I don't really discuss early on, myself.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:20 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Thanks. I actually read that before. I have had four girlfriends in my life over the last few years. But only told the last one, were as the rest found out that something was wrong the hard way, I think. But one thing that site does not go into, is when to tell her. There is actually a girl I really like right now, that I started seeing, but don't want to tell her too early, but at the same time, do not want to wait till it's too late.

We have a date to watch a movie, and she picked Rain Man to watch since it's one of her favs... Now if there is any time that autism is going to come up in a conversation or debate, it's going to be after watching this movie, so I was wondering.... But I only just met her a couple of weeks ago. So maybe I shouldn't...?
NOTHING IS "WRONG".

You are you, that's all. Most autistic people go through life never knowing that they are autistic, and in truth, it doesn't matter.
You are obviously high functioning autistic, so I would not "bring it up" at all. Why should you? It's not a communicable disease. Knowing that you have been diagnosed changes nothing but your understanding of yourself.

My family laughs at my attention span antics, but it has never slowed me down. Your autism should not slow you down.
I am a 71 year old retired salesman.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:25 PM

866 posts, read 629,832 times
Quote:
What do you think?
Be HONEST!

Old 12-28-2016, 10:21 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
"Her panties are definitely on the floor..definitely! Gota go to K-Mart!"

Do that to make her laugh and then tell her you have a condition that is similar but not the same.

Tell her you may not be able to tell her how many match sticks she drops but you are a bit awkward in some situations.

I'm sure she will ask more questions but it is a door slowly opening. You could even omit 'Autism' for the time being so to don't hit her in the face with the door.

Like if you were vegan. You could begin with saying you eat mostly salads and it may lead into... Are you a vegan. It's much better then, "Oh my gosh this place serves only meat. Gross!
Okay thanks. Am I suppose to say this after taking off her panties though?

Old 12-29-2016, 02:39 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,070,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminigirl7 View Post
I wouldn't wait until after you've slept with someone. I think that's being deceitful. I would tell someone you're dating very early on and let her decide if it's something she's okay with. If she's not okay with it than she's not the right woman for you anyway.

I don't think there's an easy way to say it so you just have to say it and see how she responds. I'd do it by the second or third date before either one of you gets too attached. Just be honest, it's part of who you are and you don't have to be ashamed of it. We're all different, that's what makes us interesting.
Okay thanks. I am actually very uncomfortable telling a woman this until after I have slept with her. The reason being is that in past experiences, I find that women are more responding after, the courtship has been sexually consummated.

After sleeping with a woman, she just wants me more I find. They text me more often, and talk more, can't wait for the next date, where as prior to sex, they were less emotionally available, etc.

That is why I think a woman will likely be more open to it, after sleeping with her.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:30 AM

1,418 posts, read 1,268,604 times
What type of Autism do you have?

Old 12-29-2016, 05:17 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Okay thanks. Am I suppose to say this after taking off her panties though?
Ha ha ha!! I don't think you will have a problem in the humor department.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:21 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
NOTHING IS "WRONG".

You are you, that's all. Most autistic people go through life never knowing that they are autistic, and in truth, it doesn't matter.
You are obviously high functioning autistic, so I would not "bring it up" at all. Why should you? It's not a communicable disease. Knowing that you have been diagnosed changes nothing but your understanding of yourself.

My family laughs at my attention span antics, but it has never slowed me down. Your autism should not slow you down.
I am a 71 year old retired salesman.
Nice post!

It's true! It's not like herpes. It's not contagious.

I think a person with OCD would be worse. I told a person when visiting their home that it was very neat and clean and their response was, "It's a disease!"

I think the OP should follow your advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships