Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2016, 06:07 PM

8 posts, read 10,695 times

Advertisements

not in a relationship with but i remember friends with someone whos parents couldnt stand me and i remember them saying once "dont stand on that wall, just because that idiot told you to"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 06:47 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,890,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dreams Expert View Post
i remember friends with someone whos parents couldnt stand me...
I usually had the opposite problem.

Most of the Mom's liked me just fine...
which actually made it harder to get in with the daughters.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:05 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,004,951 times
For me it was the other way around: her parent (mom) didn't like me and I really don't like the mom as well.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:51 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,580,324 times
I've only rarely had a woman friend whose mother liked me. And just as rarely, had one whose father didn't like me. And it was obvious, that these daughters cared more about what their fathers thought of me, than they valued their mothers' opinions.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,523,977 times
My family generally likes who I like, with the exception of my brother, who is cynical about most people (he unequivocally loves my husband, though). My ex pulled the wool over my family's eyes (again, with the exception of my brother, whow never warmed to or trusted him), but, then, he did mine, as well.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 12-30-2016 at 11:24 PM..

Old 12-30-2016, 11:21 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,619,187 times
I didn't care if they liked her or not. Was not around to please my parents who didn't care about pleasing me. We got little from our parents who were busy with their own lives. This is a good example of two people who shouldn't have had children.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:18 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,910,553 times
Never once had the problem, but if I was dating someone they were against there would probably be a very good reason

Old 12-31-2016, 07:23 AM

15,066 posts, read 10,083,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dreams Expert View Post
not in a relationship with but i remember friends with someone whos parents couldnt stand me and i remember them saying once "dont stand on that wall, just because that idiot told you to"
My first GF early in high school was the daughter of parents who didn't like that I was Asian. They were very passive aggressive towards me. For example, they refused to serve me water in glass (only plastic solo cups). For a week, I didn't see much of her and I was told they had "company" visiting. It turned out they had invited a boy from their previous home town (they had just moved to the area) to spend time with the family. He was her previous BF before they moved.

After a few months they "tolerated" my presence because they thought I was polite and nice. I never felt "welcome" in their house though. .

I had a similar problem with my wife's father... but he was an jerk so I didn't care. He hated that I stood up to his crap while everyone around him always backed down to him (big guy). He ended up loosing practically everything; estranged from ex-wife, daughter, career/job, and his health (smoker, cancer). Years later, he came around and gave us his "blessing" belated and tried to reconnect. He was terminally ill at that point. Fortunately, I am rather close to my wife's mother... she liked me from day one.

I grew to not care about what people thought about me, my relationships, or the people I dated.

Last edited by usayit; 12-31-2016 at 07:32 AM..

Old 12-31-2016, 07:25 AM

676 posts, read 724,923 times
I'm the one my inlaws hate simply because they told my wife if she didn't like there rules then to get out and I gave her the way out. Her parents would always do that, make false threats. No longer could they control my wifes every actions and it drove them nuts. Of course when my wife finally told her family how she really felt it was just me putting words in her mouth and making her say it. In reality she no longer had to worry about being kicked out for thinking for her self.

Oh and im not religious so I'm worthless for that reason too. 16 years later and they still can't accept me. Just last week my sons great grandma told my 12 year old son "with out god you are worthless".(I raised him to believe what ever he chooses, its not my choice to make for him) then they wonder why my son doesn't want to come around.

If you want to be with a person, don't worry about what family thinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships