Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 04:42 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,292 times

Advertisements

If I had to have a partner, I would rather they were non-emotional. I have enough difficulty being honest about my own feelings, let alone navigating the minefield of someone else's.

You might say that's all part and parcel of being in a relationship. I'd tell you it's one of myriad reasons why I'm not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 05:54 AM

540 posts, read 362,472 times
Emotional.

I don't want to date Mr. Spock or a robot.
Show me you care. I'll take the good with the bad.

All of the non-emotional people I've met tend to be very distant.
And single for exceedingly long periods of time.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:29 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,106,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Nightsong View Post
And single for exceedingly long periods of time.
That depends how you define 'exceedingly long', Captain. Round about a lifetime would just about do me .

Old 03-19-2017, 06:32 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Ideally neither... somewhere in the middle.

If I was "forced" to choose? Emotional. I don't connect with people who are distant.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:15 AM

1,265 posts, read 970,683 times
Ill take emotional, I'd rather talk things out than left to fester. Friends and lovers, I bring you in and let you know I care about you. Im man enough that I don't have to pretend to be stoic so people don't think I'm weak.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:57 AM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
I would choose non-emotional. Emotional people tend to be too much like roller coasters. I prefer people who can take all of life's crap and handle it in stride.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:45 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachoLatin90 View Post
If you had to choose 1 or the other. Emotional types can cause alot of drama..Colder types can make you feel uncared about. Which would you prefer if your SO had to be mostly 1 of these traits?
Ah yes. The old Kirk vs. Spock debate, except for dating. I'm a big believer in being with someone who's very similar. Opposites attract, but they rarely last. In my case, that means I'm probably better off with another introvert. But I know from past partners, they found my introversion frustrating. We don't express our feelings very often which makes it hard for the other person to feel like they're connecting with us or that we can relate to what they're feeling. But having been with people who are the emotional types, I can tell you that it tends to be exhausting at times. The last thing you want is to deal with someone whose emotions are up and down, who gets worked up over everything, and relies on you a little too much for emotional support. Too often, the people who are emotional types are actually just emotionally immature. I've definitely dated people like that, where you sometimes feel like you're the only adult in the relationship. The ideal person is in the middle of these two extremes, but if I had to choose, I'd probably go with the cool Spock-like person over the Kirk hothead.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:56 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,255,476 times
Neither.

I prefer balance rather than extremes in an intimate relationship. It makes for happier times for both of us.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:17 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen963 View Post
Neither.

I prefer balance rather than extremes in an intimate relationship. It makes for happier times for both of us.
Same, I'd prefer a more balanced approach

But if I had to pick one, I'd say emotional (more in terms of talking about our feelings and how we feel about each other). I couldn't be with someone that's completely distant on a consistent basis.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:01 PM

140 posts, read 142,462 times
EXACTLY what he said!!

Reddog53
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Ah yes. The old Kirk vs. Spock debate, except for dating. I'm a big believer in being with someone who's very similar. Opposites attract, but they rarely last. In my case, that means I'm probably better off with another introvert. But I know from past partners, they found my introversion frustrating. We don't express our feelings very often which makes it hard for the other person to feel like they're connecting with us or that we can relate to what they're feeling. But having been with people who are the emotional types, I can tell you that it tends to be exhausting at times. The last thing you want is to deal with someone whose emotions are up and down, who gets worked up over everything, and relies on you a little too much for emotional support. Too often, the people who are emotional types are actually just emotionally immature. I've definitely dated people like that, where you sometimes feel like you're the only adult in the relationship. The ideal person is in the middle of these two extremes, but if I had to choose, I'd probably go with the cool Spock-like person over the Kirk hothead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships