Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 06:59 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound17 View Post
Hello,
I'm sorry to post this on the website area for marriage but just wanted some advice.

My wife is bipolar and also suffers from intense depression. This is killing our relationship and I want to move on.

Currently we live in PA but I am considering moving to my brother's house in Maryland so I can save on rent. I am also fearful that she will come after me in some way if I tell her I'm leaving or that she won't leave our house. I've told the landlord about us and he has ok'd us leaving our rental house. I'm not sure how to do all of this or what to do with all our stuff (much of it she can have) just know I need a change before something bad happens.
Tough love here. Been there with a mentally wife.

If there are no children involved, get as far away from [Mod cut: inappropriate] (her)as you can and if necessary, pull a restraining order on her.

Do not let her mental illness pull you down.

Last edited by RedZin; 01-03-2017 at 12:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 07:09 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,810,145 times
Mental illness is grounds for divorce in some states. You may want to discuss with a divorce attorney before you leave.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:25 PM

10,342 posts, read 5,863,407 times
If she hasn't been declared a Vulnerable Adult who can't function on her own, and doesn't have a diagnosed and recognized disability making her unable to be employable, don't worry about different things that likely wont happen just because she's on medication for a mental illness. Who has a caseworker and appointed guardian for depression and bipolar, there aren't enough caseworkers to go around for all the mental illnesses out there.

Does anyone realize how common this is? I would imagine a significant percent of people separating, divorcing, or in a rotten marriage are contemplating whether or not they're mentally ill, and in need of meds. Sheesh, don't go running out the door like your pants are on fire.

If there is never a time when she isn't in the home, call for police assistance if she becomes violent or threatening. Have your titles handy to show what is yours.That's what they're there for, people don't get to just act how ever they want, there are laws to protect you from harm if you're scared.

Or, just pack up what's most important to you while she's out of the house and leave. Call, leave a note, whatever, let her know you've talked to the landlord and she's free to leave as well. File for a divorce. You cant let the "what will she do" consume you, be happy to be free! No joint accounts, take her off of your insurance, take the cars in your name, a judge will decide if you need to divide anything else. Yay, no kids are involved. Make arrangements for the pets, please.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:16 PM

622 posts, read 395,888 times
You need legal counsel. FYI however....I knew someone with bipolar disorder and she was able to get SSI (disability). Not at first. She did have to get a lawyer and appeal it before getting it approved. You might want to recommend she try that. It could make a lot of difference in how much you would have to pay towards her support following a divorce. Only thing is, you probably don't want to wait that long. Good luck to both of you.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:02 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
OP.. She gunna kill you!!

You never saw the movie, 'My super Ex girlfriend' have you? Lol!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6xuEBsnjTw

Old 01-03-2017, 01:06 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,540,297 times
Imagine somebody saying this about a wife who has cancer. It is the same rotten attitude.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:09 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
Imagine somebody saying this about a wife who has cancer. It is the same rotten attitude.
Oooh oh oh nooo no no it isn't!!!

That isn't even close!!

Totally different in a completely different galaxy!

Old 01-03-2017, 01:09 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
For sure.

smh

Old 01-03-2017, 01:10 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Oooh oh oh nooo no no it isn't!!!

That isn't even close!!

Totally different in a completely different galaxy!
How so funnymann?

Old 01-03-2017, 01:10 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound17 View Post
Hello,
I'm sorry to post this on the website area for marriage but just wanted some advice.

My wife is bipolar and also suffers from intense depression. This is killing our relationship and I want to move on.

Currently we live in PA but I am considering moving to my brother's house in Maryland so I can save on rent. I am also fearful that she will come after me in some way if I tell her I'm leaving or that she won't leave our house. I've told the landlord about us and he has ok'd us leaving our rental house. I'm not sure how to do all of this or what to do with all our stuff (much of it she can have) just know I need a change before something bad happens.
Consult a real attorney who can guide you through the entire legal process properly.
Do not count on internet attorneys who do not know the specfic laws in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships