Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 11:30 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times

Advertisements

I am primarily asking women if they try to change an SO's type of clothing, but men can chime in also.

A male friend told me his girlfriend was trying to get him to buy some new, different (probably upscale) clothing. He put his foot down about it, which I can just visualize.

It made me realize that such a thought had never even occurred to me, ever. And then it dawned on me that maybe *I* am unusual in not wanting to change the dress habits of an adult. So here it is: How many women have tried to "improve" their SO's choice of attire?

Closest I got to that was telling my husband it was time to replace an old, yellowed, ragged-neck T-shirt that he wore in public. BTW, I have to tell myself to relegate similar items of my own to the oil-wipe stash, and none of this is a sore point between us. Lessee, what else...I once asked the same male friend above how many days since he had last shaved. It had been 4 days, and the stubble was a-wavin' high. (He was not trying to grow a beard.) But that was only once, because normally he doesn't let it go like that.

Do a lot of people try to tell someone else how to dress, other than parents of kids or bosses enforcing a dress code?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 11:35 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
I tried to change a lot in the past, but never his clothes.

Some men are happy if you help them dress better because they are clueless.
Some men are just comfortable in their (ugly) clothes and don't want to try a completely different style.

I used to buy clothes for an ex because he didn't like going into stores and we had the same pant size . He liked it and I stayed within the kind of clothes he is used to.
I don't really care what my partners wear as long as it isn't totally hiddeous.

When it comes to hair or beards - I'll let him know if he grows a style I hate. Hasn't happened ever so far.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:36 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,000 times
No, because that's rude.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:41 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
Since he has issues with color-blindness and I generally have a far better fashion sense, he's smart enough to defer to my judgment when it comes to his wardrobe choices.

I definitely have not tried to change his personal style, just improve it.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:42 AM

636 posts, read 392,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Do you try to change your SO's choice of attire?
No

But, it is certainly fun to go to a store and choose outfits for your partner and then spend the day wearing them around.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:44 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,531,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I am primarily asking women if they try to change an SO's type of clothing, but men can chime in also.

A male friend told me his girlfriend was trying to get him to buy some new, different (probably upscale) clothing. He put his foot down about it, which I can just visualize.

It made me realize that such a thought had never even occurred to me, ever. And then it dawned on me that maybe *I* am unusual in not wanting to change the dress habits of an adult. So here it is: How many women have tried to "improve" their SO's choice of attire?

Closest I got to that was telling my husband it was time to replace an old, yellowed, ragged-neck T-shirt that he wore in public. BTW, I have to tell myself to relegate similar items of my own to the oil-wipe stash, and none of this is a sore point between us. Lessee, what else...I once asked the same male friend above how many days since he had last shaved. It had been 4 days, and the stubble was a-wavin' high. (He was not trying to grow a beard.) But that was only once, because normally he doesn't let it go like that.

Do a lot of people try to tell someone else how to dress, other than parents of kids or bosses enforcing a dress code?
I'm more than open to suggestions and actually encourage them, An ex for example was your stereotypical Italian lady, looked immaculate and a had great sense of style so naturally I'd ask her opinion when out shopping and thankfully she would be honest and more often than not picked out a better number

As for an SO trying to change a blokes appearance.....I'm not particularly flamboyant/daring or the worlds most stylish dresser ( although my wardrobe has cost a nation debt! ) but dress well enough not to cause her any any embarrassment or anguish and can look the part.

Again I'm more than open to suggestions and an opinion but draw the line at rudeness or insulting

Old 01-13-2017, 11:44 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Why the heck would I ever do that?

Of course not.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:51 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Since he has issues with color-blindness and I generally have a far better fashion sense, he's smart enough to defer to my judgment when it comes to his wardrobe choices.

I definitely have not tried to change his personal style, just improve it.
Color blindness that is bad enough to result in color clashes is something that I would try to help with. Same for things such as plaid-on-plaid or perpetually dirty clothes, but outside of that kind of stuff, I keep mum.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:55 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
Lived with mechanic for a while who tended to wear grease-stained (but washed/clean) jeans with holes everywhere he went. I didn't have a problem with it, but I did buy him some cheap but neat-looking clothes that were suitable for things like weddings and nicer restaurants. Wouldn't occur to me otherwise and it was less about me being embarrassed and more about not wanting him to be judged. He was a smart guy, and people tended to discount his intelligence because he often looked like he'd just crawled out from under a car.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:56 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,730,962 times
My wife has tried and in some cases succeeded. Before I met her, I hadn't changed my casual attire since the 60s. She loves my old Shetland Wool jackets, but recently bought me a sort of military style tweed sport coat and a 2 pairs of tight jeans that I dearly love. She loves bow ties, because I am the only person she knows who can tie one and also my Fair Isles sweaters. She also loves conservative oxford style shoes, but recently persuaded me to buy some somewhat pointy-toed. derby shoes. She does try to color me up a lot, but I mainly cater to more subtle colorations of green, yellow and grey.

She has her own style of dressing and I don't interfere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships