Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 11:54 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A few years ago, a friend was in pretty tough financial shape so I stepped in and helped out financially. I never slept with her. It's what you do for friends in need. It was chump change for me but life changing when your kids are going hungry, the utilities are about to be shut off, and you're about to be homeless because you can't pay the rent. If I were dating someone who happened to drop into that kind of black hole for a few months, I'd feel the need to help out.
Fair enough, but I would hope people like this that are so close to homelessness are not putting their energy into dating. And sure, loaning a friend money when in need is something people sometimes do. I say loan because most people will insist on paying it back even if you don't need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It's not how I make my relationship decisions but I can certainly respect it.
I don't. It's not my life, so not my business, but it isn't worthy of respect, IMO.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:55 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
As long as both understand it is a sugar daddy relationship, both are happy, and he can afford it I say have at it. Enjoy it.

I am 74 and while not a sugar daddy, my FWB is 24, and a single mother raising two young boys. Yes I pay some of her bills but it works just fine for the both of us. We see each other once week or every 10 days. She spends a night or two a month at my place. I have even given her a dresser draw.

To add another dimension, I am white and she is black. Add this to the age difference and wow, we do get some stares when in public. Mainly envious ones from men and hateful ones from women.

I opted to go this route rather than a steady lady friend as I do not want to get involved. I enjoy my single (widower) life but I have needs and they are being very well met.......LOL

To each his own.
If it helps, I can almost guarantee most people who see you aren't envious or hateful. Most people are so busy with their own lives and/or self absorbed they really don't care about the relationships of random strangers they see walking around. Most likely you are projecting your fears that people are judging you. Think about it, do you really care about a random couple you might see and speculate about their relationship or are you reflecting on your last golf game or planning your next date with your FWB?

Old 01-10-2017, 12:10 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,599,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Fair enough, but I would hope people like this that are so close to homelessness are not putting their energy into dating. And sure, loaning a friend money when in need is something people sometimes do. I say loan because most people will insist on paying it back even if you don't need it.

I don't. It's not my life, so not my business, but it isn't worthy of respect, IMO.
People who are doing horribly financially have relationships all the time.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:16 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
People who are doing horribly financially have relationships all the time.
Well, I guess they get what you sign up for then.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:27 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Another of the previously banned trolls brigade.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.