Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2017, 01:35 PM

52,006 posts, read 52,451,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I've heard it many times, the people who stay rich don't display that they are rich. If I was super rich, I'd probably still be reluctant to spend much on initial dates. That way I know a woman wants me for me and not what I can provide for her. I just think when you first meet someone, keeping the expenses to a minimum is a good idea to make sure money does not bring an unhealthy dynamic to the relationship and you make sure someone is interested in you if you can't give them the world.
There are a lot of people out there that have significantly higher net worth than the average person and those types don't flaunt it or look showy. Mrs. Chow and I are doing much better than the average for our age group. We're not rich, but again, doing ok. That's because we drive a paid off car and pay attention to where our money is going. I dress pretty causally and looking at me you wouldn't think we were doing as well as we are money wise.

I agree, dating doesn't have to be super expensive, a coffee meetup or a happy hour here and there doesn't have to break the bank. I haven't been out there for a while but I'm getting a sense that even in my age group people are open to a "coffee meetup" or like I said a happy hour just to get a sense if there's chemistry and after that you can decide how you wanna proceed forward.

Learning to be financially prudent took me a long time, I wasn't this way til I was around 29 or 30 or so, I used to be bad with money, hardly saved at all.

Having a nice financial buffer feels better than driving a high end expensive car or buying every single latest and greatest gadget or whatever your poison may be.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:37 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,834,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Having a nice financial buffer feels better than driving a high end expensive car or buying every single latest and greatest gadget or whatever your poison may be.

Ain't that the truth. Having an emergency fund just takes a bit of stress off of everyday life.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:38 PM

251 posts, read 187,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Count me as one of the "paranoid" men who think a woman will use me. A lot of people are crappy and selfish and will use someone for their own personal gain. Now the woman could be the nicest woman in the world but I don't know that. I refuse to let the opposite sex get over on me.
Why even bother dating if you just assume every woman is a gold digger? Are you a billionaire? Are there so many women after your money? On behalf of all women everywhere, sorry you've been burned but you're not that special, no one is out to get you.

Maybe you can meet your next date for a glass of water in the parking lot of the restaurant and see how that goes.

Last edited by geminigirl7; 01-10-2017 at 02:42 PM..

Old 01-10-2017, 01:41 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,834,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminigirl7 View Post
Why even bother dating if you just assume every woman is a gold digger? Are you a billionaire? Are there so many women after your money? On behalf of all women everywhere, sorry you've been burned but your not that special, no one is out to get you.
It's funny, but lots of the pre nup and gold digger threads seem to come from 20 somethings with no or few assets.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:47 PM

52,006 posts, read 52,451,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's funny, but lots of the pre nup and gold digger threads seem to come from 20 somethings with no or few assets.
I've noticed that over the years here on CD, 23 yr old guy driving some rust bucket living with 3 roommates making 15 bucks an hour all worried about some "ho" stealing his crap. LOL.

It would be laughable if it weren't so sad.......

Old 01-10-2017, 01:49 PM

26,691 posts, read 41,625,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I'm not saying this to be mean or gold-diggery, but if you know that women generally like men who can provide and you become a man who can provide, why wouldn't you want to show her that? It doesn't mean that she can't also like you for you, but why do you think she would pick you over someone else who she likes who shows her that he can also provide for her? That doesn't mean you need to spend a ton of money on dates but why be cheap just to see if someone "likes you for you?" You (and other men) don't just like women for who they are either, so why do women need to just like you for you?
I don't think I need to show that I can provide until I can read the woman and feel her intentions are pure. I don't think I need to show it on the first date. If all she is concerned is finding a provider she needs to find a sugar daddy that just cares about her appearance not me who cares about her personality, character, and attitude on life.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:52 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,285,041 times
Quote:
Why even bother dating if you just assume every woman is a gold digger? Are you a billionaire? Are there so many women after your money? On behalf of all women everywhere, sorry you've been burned but your not that special, no one is out to get you.

Maybe you can meet your next date for a glass of water in the parking lot of the restaurant and see how that goes.
First of all it's spelled *you're* learn to spell before you try to insult me. I have been burned before and will take measures to ensure it doesn't happen again even if it means I never meet another woman which is fine it's not like I need a woman to complete me. It works out in the end.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:53 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,285,041 times
Quote:
I don't think I need to show that I can provide until I can read the woman and feel her intentions are pure. I don't think I need to show it on the first date. If all she is concerned is finding a provider she needs to find a sugar daddy that just cares about her appearance not me who cares about her personality, character, and attitude on life.
Agreed.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:54 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,565,980 times
Quote:
It's not about finding a provider but if financial stability didn't matter at all, a lot more of us would date really nice people with no jobs and no money.

Old 01-10-2017, 01:58 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,156,505 times
Quote:

*you're

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've noticed that over the years here on CD, 23 yr old guy driving some rust bucket living with 3 roommates making 15 bucks an hour all worried about some "ho" stealing his crap. LOL.

It would be laughable if it weren't so sad.......
Not sure why this response is necessary. And it's a response I see frequently.

Did I miss the announcement that you have to have a 9,7 or even a 6 figure income to be concerned about potentially being conned out of your cash? Sure, some guys may take it too far, but to think someone can't be used for their income, because they aren't wealthy is pretty foolish.

People are robbed in some way every day. Not all of them have a lot of wealth and/or possessions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships