Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2017, 12:44 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I had an entree and one drink which came to $20.10. He also had one entree and one drink. When we were done with the meal, he flagged down our server and asked her if she would bring separate checks. I was a little surprised by this because no one I've gone out with has ever done this.
Why would this bother you? Why is it that after the initial date, you are already making issues out of money? Mod cut.I ran your scenario by my wife Mod cut. said she wouldnt have a problem with it. She said would have expected the guy to pick up the tab, but if he didnt, she wouldnt think that there were any issues with him or her. She said that its actually a pretty smart thing for a guy to do on the first date.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-17-2017 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Racist and off-topic remarks.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:52 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
There is a difference between asking for a separate check and splitting a check.

And I doubt skin color has anything to do with it. I'm quite sure that if I asked a server for a separate check very few of the second dates I had would ever have occurred, it's tacky as all get out.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:54 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
There is a difference between asking for a separate check and splitting a check.
Right. Splitting the check is absolutely no big deal. Making a point of asking for a separate check, to me, is sending a clear "we're not together" signal, especially on a date.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:56 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

There is a difference between asking for a separate check (to start with) and having to split a check as a surprise
Which was the premise for this thread.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
There is a difference between asking for a separate check (to start with) and having to split a check as a surprise
Which was the premise for this thread.
They're both tacky, just in slightly different ways.

And no, it doesn't seem like that was the premise of the thread.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:05 PM

636 posts, read 392,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Right. Splitting the check is absolutely no big deal. Making a point of asking for a separate check, to me, is sending a clear "we're not together" signal, especially on a date.
The thing with signals is that they can be misinterpreted.
Communicate.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:07 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Why would this bother you? Why is it that after the initial date, you are already making issues out of money? [snip] I ran your scenario by my wife [snip] said she wouldnt have a problem with it. She said would have expected the guy to pick up the tab, but if he didnt, she wouldnt think that there were any issues with him or her. She said that its actually a pretty smart thing for a guy to do on the first date.
Mod cut. Having a guy ask for separate checks isn't something that I've ever personally experienced before, so I thought it was worth discussing. As I've already said, if his wealth (or lack thereof) was a major concern for me, I wouldn't have gone out with him in the first place.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-17-2017 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: Orphaned (reply to remarks which have been deleted).

Old 01-11-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOfMs View Post
The thing with signals is that they can be misinterpreted.
Communicate.
I don't think there is anything that needs to be communicated about if someone does that. There is no GOOD reason.

Either they're cheap.
They're classless/tacky.
They're signalling they want out of there.
They are flat broke.
Multiples of the above.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:16 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
When sitting in a restaurant we discuss food. /shrug

"Have you eaten here before? What do you like? Have you ever tried tako? How is the haumachi? I'll order the beef tips and share so I can try your scallops." Stuff like that.

My comment wasn't really for your scenario, it was to someone who said she wouldn't know what you were going to order because women order first.

It is odd that you went to a sushi place to get a burger, but I would still have tried to match my order price to equal or lesser value.
Maybe they went here. The Cowfish Sushi Burger Bar
Cowfish Sushi Burger Bar . It's a very popular restaurant in several cities.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:17 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Mod cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
..................... if his wealth (or lack thereof) was a major concern for me, I wouldn't have gone out with him in the first place.
Sure. But it WAS enough concern for you to start a thread about him asking for separate checks.

Its always a good idea to have separate checks (or even split the bill) on first dates. This isnt the 1950s anymore where men were the money makers and women were homemakers. Everyone is equal. Separate checks not only prevents the women from feeling obligated (for anything), but it also prevents the guy from thinking or expecting a return on his investment of picking up the tab (hug, kiss, second date or more). Everyone walks away on equal footing/standing. If there are additional dates scheduled, then other things can be discussed. But first date, 50/50.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-17-2017 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: Orphaned; off-topic; baiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships