Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2017, 08:25 AM

255 posts, read 200,080 times

Advertisements

It sounds like you had a nice time with one another. I would not let the small things clutter an otherwise pleasant evening. Hopefully it continues to go well for you. Good luck and keep us updated!

Old 01-13-2017, 08:29 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
For me it is not about right and wrong or how even other people view me. I would choose to pay the full bill if that had been my intention all along because *I* care how *I* view me. AND I cannot IMAGINE a mindset in which I placed a monetary value on someone's dating worth. Dating is not a fee for service activity.
I full agree. How I feel about myself is critical, so doing the right thing even when I will probably never see a person again is still important.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:35 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
For me it is not about right and wrong or how even other people view me. I would choose to pay the full bill if that had been my intention all along because *I* care how *I* view me. AND I cannot IMAGINE a mindset in which I placed a monetary value on someone's dating worth. Dating is not a fee for service activity.
Dating is also not a free meal.

I think people are forgetting one thing I've said in the past about his issue. I'd never take a first date to a dinner in the first place. I'd do something for a first date as cheap as possible. I'd do coffee or a walk in the park as a first date. I can swallow paying $3-5 for a date's coffee or ice cream far easier than wasting $20 on someone I know damn well I'm not interested in seeing again and don't give two about their opinion of me.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:53 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Dating is also not a free meal.

I think people are forgetting one thing I've said in the past about his issue. I'd never take a first date to a dinner in the first place. I'd do something for a first date as cheap as possible. I'd do coffee or a walk in the park as a first date. I can swallow paying $3-5 for a date's coffee or ice cream far easier than wasting $20 on someone I know damn well I'm not interested in seeing again and don't give two about their opinion of me.

I get what you're saying and I agree 100% that dating isn't a free meal, but when you make plans to meet with someone, do you convey this to them? Obviously in a less aggressive way lol...I mean, do you tell them "hey, let's just meet up for a bit and get to know each other a little...nothing stressful, just something low key like meeting up for coffee or something and see if there's any chemistry?"

Honestly, if I felt that kind of attitude come from a potential date, I'd probably pass and no, I'm not a gold digger, I make a very good salary but it comes off a little abrasive and be a turn off.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I get what you're saying and I agree 100% that dating isn't a free meal, but when you make plans to meet with someone, do you convey this to them? Obviously in a less aggressive way lol...I mean, do you tell them "hey, let's just meet up for a bit and get to know each other a little...nothing stressful, just something low key like meeting up for coffee or something and see if there's any chemistry?"

Honestly, if I felt that kind of attitude come from a potential date, I'd probably pass and no, I'm not a gold digger, I make a very good salary but it comes off a little abrasive and be a turn off.
Believe it or not, outside of CD I'm far less aggressive in real life than I am here. I typically say something to the tune of, "we should meet up, there is ______ in DC who makes good coffee" or "Saturday is nice let's meet at the Monument for ice cream." Typically women are fine with it.

I, honest to God, view spending a $5 on a coffee or ice cream differently than spending $20-40 on a dinner with someone who I have no interest in seeing again. Being with a limited budget, that $20-40 is not money I want to waste on someone who isn't going to appreciate me, when it could help me survive. I would truthfully not think twice about the money if a woman really seemed to like me and I liked her enough to want to see her again.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:21 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Believe it or not, outside of CD I'm far less aggressive in real life than I am here. I typically say something to the tune of, "we should meet up, there is ______ in DC who makes good coffee" or "Saturday is nice let's meet at the Monument for ice cream." Typically women are fine with it.

I, honest to God, view spending a $5 on a coffee or ice cream differently than spending $20-40 on a dinner with someone who I have no interest in seeing again. Being with a limited budget, that $20-40 is not money I want to waste on someone who isn't going to appreciate me, when it could help me survive. I would truthfully not think twice about the money if a woman really seemed to like me and I liked her enough to want to see her again.

Gotcha and I totally agree with you. For me, it's not so much about what is said but how it's said. I wouldn't even think twice if a guy suggested those as dates to me because for me, it's not about the "where".

I knew you were a softie at heart

Old 01-13-2017, 09:21 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post

I agree. Really who thinks of a diner date as a free meal, a homeless person, a broke person, a starving person? But the attitude that the one inviting you to dinner sees the date as an investment. Investment is what? As a potential client, nookie, companionship, matrimony? If you cant stomach spending 20$ on someone dont ask them to dinner. I agree with the coffee or something free or cheap. I mean I have paid for dinner for friends or family members and given strangers $20 for food and not feel I need something in return or that Im wasting my money.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:48 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
This thread is approaching 70 pages, can we wrap this trainwreck up this with a conclusion already.. (Please)

Old 01-13-2017, 09:50 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
This thread is approaching 70 pages, can we wrap this trainwreck up this with a conclusion already.. (Please)
LOL, I'm fine with it being closed. I think it has definitely run its course!

Old 01-13-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I agree. Really who thinks of a diner date as a free meal, a homeless person, a broke person, a starving person? But the attitude that the one inviting you to dinner sees the date as an investment. Investment is what? As a potential client, nookie, companionship, matrimony? If you cant stomach spending 20$ on someone dont ask them to dinner. I agree with the coffee or something free or cheap. I mean I have paid for dinner for friends or family members and given strangers $20 for food and not feel I need something in return or that Im wasting my money.
I've paid for dinner for friends and my mother too. The difference is when I pay for them I know I would help them with anything and they'd help me with anything. The money I spend on them is a gift in my eyes and letting them know my highest appreciation for their friendship.

When I pay for a date, it would be to let them know I'm serious about my desire to get to know them and be in their future and I really appreciate their consideration. I don't look at it as a prostitute to pimp relationship. If I don't pay for a date's share, it is my way of saying, I'm not interested and you probably aren't interested in me. I don't want to waste any of your time or my money on what was a fruitless endeavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships