Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2017, 02:14 PM

345 posts, read 276,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That is such a narrow minded view to me.

I have friends of all ages and who do different things, different marital status, different financial status..... everything.

I wouldn't rule out whole decades and pigeon hole them into "nothing in common".

Definitely seeing a pattern here.
I do understand what he is saying to an extent.

I am 43 years old, never married, no kids. A lot of the men that I meet in my age group tend to act older than me, be a little fuddy-duddyish. They aren't listening to the same music as I am or interested in going to see live bands or comedy shows with comedians other Jeff Dunham or Larry the Cable Guy. They think they can change my "crazy liberal feminist" ways and try to lecture me as if they know so much more about life than little ol' me. I know not every guy my age is like this but the ones that aren't...the ones that I would have stuff in common with... are apparently not interested in me because I never meet them. I've heard rumors that they exist, though!

I also look and act younger than I am, and as a result tend to date younger.

The difference between me and the OP, however, is that I would love to meet someone in my own age group with whom I can connect… Where as he seems to have written off women in his own age range
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 02:29 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayMoe10 View Post
I am 43 years old, never married, no kids. A lot of the men that I meet in my age group tend to act older than me, be a little fuddy-duddyish. They aren't listening to the same music as I am or interested in going to see live bands or comedy shows with comedians other Jeff Dunham or Larry the Cable Guy. They think they can change my "crazy liberal feminist" ways and try to lecture me as if they know so much more about life than little ol' me. I know not every guy my age is like this but the ones that aren't...the ones that I would have stuff in common with... are apparently not interested in me because I never meet them. I've heard rumors that they exist, though!
Repped!

Story of my life! The only difference is that I'm 33. All men in my primary social circle settled down into very serious LTR's almost simultaneously in a 6-month time period. As a result, when it comes to their lifestyle, the word "fun" is now a Cantonese noodle dish, rather than a weekend activity (pun intended). Don't get me wrong, they're great guys, but man oh man, I could never live my life like that.

I turned to Meetup as my main social outlet. It's working well enough so far. I've gotten good at the board games my groups like to play. That and Cards Against Humanity.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:31 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,025,773 times
Along with lousy self-esteem, the OP's dealbreakers also include must like bluegrass music, must not smoke, drink or have ever had a drink. Combine all that with his 44 year old virginity and how many prospects is he going to have?

And isn't it great that everyone thinks they look younger than their actual age. So how would the OP even know what women his age look like? We don't walk around with our age stamped on our foreheads. Maybe those women in his age group are actually in their 50s and look 40s, and women his age are actually younger looking than he thinks.

Regardless, the OP has many dating challenges which have nothing to do with anyone but him.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:32 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayMoe10 View Post
I do understand what he is saying to an extent.

I also look and act younger than I am, and as a result tend to date younger.

The difference between me and the OP, however, is that I would love to meet someone in my own age group with whom I can connect… Where as he seems to have written off women in his own age range
Where do you live, Moe? Guys in their 40's wanting to change someone's feminist ways? They sound like they're 80, not 40. Acting older than you? The guys in their 40's I run into, more often than not are into Star Trek, Jedi movies (I don't even know what that's a reference to), some are into hipster clothes and skateboarding still, and behave and talk like teenagers.

OTOH, guys being pompous and trying to come across as authorities and so forth, that I've run into in a professional context. That's just good old-fashioned male ego. It's especially bad, and sad--or laughable but also aggravating--when 20-somethings try to pull it off. That's were I run into it, is guys in the early stage of their career, trying to make themselves out to be more important than they are.

Are you in a more conservative part of the country?

Old 01-17-2017, 02:35 PM

217 posts, read 237,304 times
Keep in mind that 30, or even 29, is NOT out of my age range. In case you're not aware, there is a formula. Did you (men) ever hear about dividing your age by two, then adding 7, to tell you the youngest age woman you should be looking for? Let's see.. 44 divided by 2 is 22. Add 7, you get 29. So, I could reasonably expect SOME 29-year old women to be interested in me. Especially since I don't look anywhere near 44, nor have I experienced most of the things that most men my age have by now.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassGuy View Post
I don't really have any friends that I talk to on a regular basis, so there is no one available to even set me up with anyone in the first place. And I'm not attracted to 40+ women now any more than I was when I was in college.
Well, no wonder women your age, along with the younger women you want, aren't interested in you!

Your fate is sealed, OP. By you. Not just sealed, but permanently glued shut.

So, why were you announcing this to the interweb, again? What's your purpose in starting this thread?

Old 01-17-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind that 30, or even 29, is NOT out of my age range. In case you're not aware, there is a formula. Did you (men) ever hear about dividing your age by two, then adding 7, to tell you the youngest age woman you should be looking for? Let's see.. 44 divided by 2 is 22. Add 7, you get 29. So, I could reasonably expect SOME 29-year old women to be interested in me. Especially since I don't look anywhere near 44, nor have I experienced most of the things that most men my age have by now.
OK, you're good with numbers. Would you be on the autism spectrum at all? Just a smidge? No?

Yeah, 29 isn't out of a 44-year-old's age range. Sure. The moon is made of green cheese, too.

345 posts, read 276,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where do you live, Moe? Guys in their 40's wanting to change someone's feminist ways? They sound like they're 80, not 40. Acting older than you? The guys in their 40's I run into, more often than not are into Star Trek, Jedi movies (I don't even know what that's a reference to), some are into hipster clothes and skateboarding still, and behave and talk like teenagers.

OTOH, guys being pompous and trying to come across as authorities and so forth, that I've run into in a professional context. That's just good old-fashioned male ego. It's especially bad, and sad--or laughable but also aggravating--when 20-somethings try to pull it off. That's were I run into it, is guys in the early stage of their career, trying to make themselves out to be more important than they are.

Are you in a more conservative part of the country?
I'm on the East Coast, in Philly. So there are plenty of the hip guys you describe but they tend to be younger. The ones my age act like jabronis. I'm sure there are guys out there like you describe and I would like to date; but I'm bad at finding them. (I'm also not really in a place emotionally right now to look, but historically they had been scarce to find.)

6,304 posts, read 9,009,891 times
Quote:
You do realize that this "formula" is not even close to being scientific, right?

Old 01-17-2017, 02:39 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Along with lousy self-esteem, the OP's dealbreakers also include must like bluegrass music, must not smoke, drink or have ever had a drink. Combine all that with his 44 year old virginity and how many prospects is he going to have?

And isn't it great that everyone thinks they look younger than their actual age. So how would the OP even know what women his age look like? We don't walk around with our age stamped on our foreheads. Maybe those women in his age group are actually in their 50s and look 40s, and women his age are actually younger looking than he thinks.

Regardless, the OP has many dating challenges which have nothing to do with anyone but him.
Beggars can't be choosers, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships