Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2017, 05:35 PM

10,269 posts, read 13,789,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Short-term, yes if they are going through life changes or improving themselves to be a better person. Long-term, no. I've met people who say they're happy being single but their words and actions tells me differently. Meaning, they either complain about how lonely they are or drink as an escape to avoid dealing with their feelings.
I'm almost 36 and haven't been in a relationship in years. Any time I feel lonely I listen to my coworkers whining about their spouses, people dealing with screaming kids in the store, and all those people saying how much work relationships are and then I realize I'm kind of lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 05:39 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,276,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I'm almost 36 and haven't been in a relationship in years. Any time I feel lonely I listen to my coworkers whining about their spouses, people dealing with screaming kids in the store, and all those people saying how much work relationships are and then I realize I'm kind of lucky.
Listening to a kid scream and throw a tantrum makes my ears bleed. I have no patience for it which is why I don't want kids.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:50 PM

838 posts, read 1,348,428 times
I was single for about 4 years taking care of my father before he died. I was content being single or at least I thought. Almost exactly a year later I met someone and didn't realize how lonely I actually was.

Am I ok being single? Yea I can entertain myself. Do I want to be single? No, not anymore.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:08 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,836,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
I was single for about 4 years taking care of my father before he died. I was content being single or at least I thought. Almost exactly a year later I met someone and didn't realize how lonely I actually was.

Am I ok being single? Yea I can entertain myself. Do I want to be single? No, not anymore.
This is my fourth year being single, after breaking up with my last girlfriend in 2013. While there were good moments, by and large, it wasn't a pleasant relationship. Heck, I had to read books on verbal self-defense in my local library. After breaking up, I felt more relieved than upset. But the final nail in the coffin was seeing people in my main social circle settle down. Instead of becoming "the more, the merrier", my group of friends took on a heavy vibe of elitism from being in relationships.

Am I OK being single? Hell, yeah! Would I ever agree to have another relationship? Absolutely not! Not even to win people's respect.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:14 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,020,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I personally am not in a hurry to start dating again because I am quite content with my life. Unless the woman really knocks my socks off I don't see myself trying to date for awhile. My dogs will keep me company
Yeah yeah. just wait for a long haired, tight wearing jeaned thin lady sporting a Vintage 49er jacket comes strolling by you.
You'll be gone in two seconds....

Old 03-05-2017, 07:32 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,276,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
Yeah yeah. just wait for a long haired, tight wearing jeaned thin lady sporting a Vintage 49er jacket comes strolling by you.
You'll be gone in two seconds....
LMFAO!! True true.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:54 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,188,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
But the final nail in the coffin was seeing people in my main social circle settle down. Instead of becoming "the more, the merrier", my group of friends took on a heavy vibe of elitism from being in relationships.
Can you explain what you mean by that your friends took a heavy vibe of elitism?

Old 03-05-2017, 10:15 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,836,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Can you explain what you mean by that your friends took a heavy vibe of elitism?
It wasn't my friends personally; as individuals, they still treat me with the same respect they did before settling down. But the collective conscious of the group has changed. The group as a unit---all couples plus me---seems to look down on single men (but not so much single women) over 30. No one says anything, but when everyone hangs out together, I can feel it. Very much.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:22 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,831,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
It wasn't my friends personally; as individuals, they still treat me with the same respect they did before settling down. But the collective conscious of the group has changed. The group as a unit---all couples plus me---seems to look down on single men (but not so much single women) over 30. No one says anything, but when everyone hangs out together, I can feel it. Very much.
Are you sure it's because you're single? I don't get that vibe.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:24 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,655,655 times
I don't buy it either. Sure being single is better than a destructive relationship, but a fulfilling relationshop beats being single, especially in the long run.

It's just the way we are biologically wired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships