Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2017, 05:39 PM

112 posts, read 66,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
You are incorrect. I'm not calling any one person any names, "jokers" is a generic term for anyone. I did NOT single you out.

Thanks though for proving my point about wanting to fight.
No mate. It's about having a discussion. A coming together of ideas.

You don't seem willing to do that.

Merely calling people "haters", when they have crystal clear logic, and all you have is feels, doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
"I see reading comprehension isn't your strong suit"

I stated in my post, for the record, that I do NOT have children of my own...I also made it clear that I am NOT going to sit in judgment of those who DO, especially since BOTH my parents were single parents when they met
That makes no sense.

Anybody navigating the dating scene must judge these things.

Seriously, what are you on about. Do you actually have a point?

Quote:
I'm sorry that I interrupted your ongoing authorship of 'The Swingin' Bachelor's Guide To Life'...but 'mate', you ain't god almighty, nor either of my late parents, who are the ONLY ones who can judge me in any way shape or form
Your parents were probably born when Adolf Hitler was trying to conquer the free world. You don't think the game has changed since then?

The game has changed drastically since I've been in it. And I only just turned 30.

Once again, you aren't making any sort of relevant, practical point.

Quote:
Therefore, I will CONTINUE, if I so choose, to comment on single parenthood, marriage, bringing back the Twist, or anything else I want, IF I feel like it...if that chaps your hind-end, tough, there's nothing you can do about it except bellow-on about what you don't like and other folks business, which you can do even LESS about

I tell ya, some folk here are getting a little too bossy-mouthed for my taste
You can say that the earth is flat too. Just expect someone to question it.

And then come back with something decent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 05:57 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,432 times
Lightbulb A Word, If I May...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1end View Post
No mate. It's about having a discussion. A coming together of ideas.

You don't seem willing to do that.

Merely calling people "haters", when they have crystal clear logic, and all you have is feels, doesn't make any sense.

That makes no sense.

Anybody navigating the dating scene must judge these things.

Seriously, what are you on about. Do you actually have a point?

Your parents were probably born when Adolf Hitler was trying to conquer the free world. You don't think the game has changed since then?

The game has changed drastically since I've been in it. And I only just turned 30.

Once again, you aren't making any sort of relevant, practical point.

You can say that the earth is flat too. Just expect someone to question it.

And then come back with something decent.
I see what the deal is here...you just turned 30, therefore, the sun rises and sets out of your southward rear-facing extremity, and anyone who dares to open their mouth and 'question' your alleged superior swingin' bachelorhood is just askin' for it...whooo, I'm sooo frightened

And about my parents---you got beef with ME, fine and dandy, step to ME with that...but leave my parents out of it...my father was a Tuskegee Airman, which meant he was ALREADY AROUND when Hitler was making his move...he, like me, wore the uniform of his country (US Army Air Force), which meant he was out FIGHTING Hitler and his ilk to keep the world safe so that you could someday sit on City Data and pop off endlessly about 'game'

Which, last time I looked, was something all the hunters here on CD went after to put meat on their tables, and not some silly term co-opted by those whose milk-mustaches ain't even dry yet to convince the rest of us that they are, by god, something SPECIAL

You're gonna have to go a little harder than this...I apologize to all if it appears as though this 'side argument' is hijacking a pretty good thread, but I have no patience with youthful nonsense and braggadocio

Old 01-20-2017, 06:59 PM

630 posts, read 1,048,914 times
Ugh this conversation was going so well until it got derailed per usual

Old 01-20-2017, 07:41 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
It's not that glamorous as a childfree female. I feel like I am in an endless cycle of work, paying bills, cooking and cleaning, and miscellaneous errands. I am determined to carve out some me time. Having children would just drive me insane.
Having children--if someone wants them--doesn't change the endless cycle of work, bills, errands, etc. But it does add an aspect to the situation that is not only, hopefully, rewarding in itself, but actually reaches a definite goal and end: having adult children. You cook and clean every day until you die, more or less, and it still has to be done again the next day. The bills and errands never go away. Raising children isn't like that. They grow, they change, they take over some of these tasks.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:02 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Men have a longer "range" than women, but these days it just takes people longer to get started in life.
This is actually not true. The quality of men's sperm begins to decline after 35 just as a women's eggs do. In fact, recent research has shown that the rise in autism and Asperger's is due to men reproducing later in life.

Men wanting to have kids later are also risking making children with health issues.

But back to the OP, I find your experience surprising, as it seems men typically aren't into having children like women are.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:52 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,589,229 times
I think that the best sequence of things, is to first find someone with whom you want to share your life, who feels the same about you. Then, you could decide if you both want children or not. To decide on your own, that you want children and then go and find someone for the purpose of doing that, places more value on having children and less on the relationship, itself. I think that latter example could lead more often to single parenthood.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
In fact, recent research has shown that the rise in autism and Asperger's is due to men reproducing later in life.
A small point, but "research" has not "shown" this. There has been one major correlation study (published in Molecular Psychiatry in 2015, highlighting potential risk factors, and as the author of the study acknowledges, "risk factors are not the same thing as causes."

That same study actually also illustrates a stronger correlation/higher risk factor between teen pregnancy and autism than it does 40+ mothers and autism, a finding that hadn't been difinitively shown prior to the study.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:39 AM

21 posts, read 5,209 times
I think the OP needs to stop being around conservative people.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:27 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Having children--if someone wants them--doesn't change the endless cycle of work, bills, errands, etc. But it does add an aspect to the situation that is not only, hopefully, rewarding in itself, but actually reaches a definite goal and end: having adult children. You cook and clean every day until you die, more or less, and it still has to be done again the next day. The bills and errands never go away. Raising children isn't like that. They grow, they change, they take over some of these tasks.
Or they become drug addicts and ruin their life as well as yours......... There are plenty of threads on here from parents who aren't speaking to their kids or who don't know if their kids will be around to help them in any way, shape or form when they are elderly. They make take over some of these tasks (I know it was meant tongue in cheek) but they can also suck you dry.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:57 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
A small point, but "research" has not "shown" this. There has been one major correlation study (published in Molecular Psychiatry in 2015, highlighting potential risk factors, and as the author of the study acknowledges, "risk factors are not the same thing as causes."

That same study actually also illustrates a stronger correlation/higher risk factor between teen pregnancy and autism than it does 40+ mothers and autism, a finding that hadn't been difinitively shown prior to the study.
Let's say I agree with you that a risk factor doesn't mean it's an actual cause. Do you think age effects the quality of women's eggs but it doesn't effect the quality of men's sperm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships