Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 07:03 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I'm focusing on being the "home support" so to speak (although we don't live together so it's not really at home support).
Why not offer to be waiting for him at his home so you can have some time together, even if you're both sleeping? Have dinner or a snack or a hot bath ready for him, give him a massage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 08:12 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,301 times
Quote:
My boyfriend owns his own business and because of it often works long hours and weekends. I think his work contributed to the failure of his marriage or, at least, he thinks that. Lately his company got a big contract and he's literally working 12-16 hour days 7 days a week. This is going to go on for the next three months. There isn't a lot of time for us and lately, he also seems to be stressing himself out worrying about "us."

Really, he works 12-16 hours every day 7 days a week? For three months without break? Everyone is different, but I could not work that much without serious impact to my heath and sanity...

If I were you, I would encourage him to take at least one day off. I understand that he needs to work hard but after all, his health and sanity is more important that a job. And ruined health is extremely expensive to fix...

Old 01-12-2017, 08:32 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I understand that he needs to work hard...
Clearly... he needs to work less hard (as most do).

Solving the deeper Q of why he gravitates to the martyrdom of these excessive hours
is what will determine whether the OP will have a relationship she wants to be a part of.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:59 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,479,957 times
He works so hard because he owns the company and has an obligation to his employees. He's not the type to go home when his employees are still there trying to get work done and get home to their loved ones too. They are a contractor and sometimes work comes and it's a lot to do under a tight deadline. Sometimes they have no work and he has plenty of free time. It's just the nature of the beast.

Why does he do it? Well, he does enjoy his work, but like I said he feels obligated to his employees, and frankly, it also makes him a lot of money. He hopes to be able to retire early and travel (which would be an even bigger problem for us since I'm 9 years younger than him and there is no way I'll also be able to retire when he does). That will be a bigger issue when the day comes. Of course, that's a long ways off anyway.

Edit: I will say that his overworking does concern me (health wise). But he was like this when I met him and he knows. The lack of sleep is bad. It's part of the package that makes him, him. And it's not my business to change him unless he wants it. For example, I've been working with him on eating healthy and exercising though since he's interested in changing that.

Last edited by BellaLind; 01-12-2017 at 09:38 AM..

Old 01-12-2017, 09:38 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,695,373 times
Is the contract he signed lucrative? Does it provide enough for him to hire help, even if it is just temporary help?

Old 01-12-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
Is the contract he signed lucrative? Does it provide enough for him to hire help, even if it is just temporary help?
It is very lucrative, their biggest yet. He's working on filling 20 positions. Which is actually part of his long hours. It takes time to hire people.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:11 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
It is very lucrative, their biggest yet. He's working on filling 20 positions. Which is actually part of his long hours. It takes time to hire people.
Nobody should work that much. Even Sundays people shut down.

I have never heard of someone working that much.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Nobody should work that much. Even Sundays people shut down.

I have never heard of someone working that much.
Military does it a lot and let's just say his job is along those lines (he's not military thought). I've done it short term when I worked at trade shows. But that was just two weeks at a time, tops. It's exhausting and I don't know how people can work such long hours so much.

I want to stress this is temporary. He doesn't usually work these kinds of hours. But this will last until March.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:28 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
Text him sexy pics during the day, so he knows you're thinking of him and what he has to look forward to when he does come home.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:33 PM

29,738 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
It's exhausting and I don't know how people can work such long hours so much.

I want to stress this is temporary. He doesn't usually work these kinds of hours. But this will last until March.
He and his whole team are going to burn out by March. I don't know that any amount of sending loving/sexy texts to let him know you're thinking of him will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships