Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 11:44 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If you are going to choose ONE person to represent a gender why not pick a good role model instead of a bad one?

I think you know intellectually that one person cannot and does not represent an entire gender (race, religion, etc.) but you are having trouble translating that fact to yourself emotionally.

Without that, I do not think you have a very good chance at a healthy relationship.
Read the source. It will help you to stay on topic. Dissenter was not talking about measuring a gender. He was talking about vulnerability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 05:56 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
To go all in, you have to believe in yourself as a fundamentally "real" person, surrender your fears of the results if you lose and be perceptive enough to know that the odds are greater than 50% that the person in front of you will not harm you. All of these are related.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:20 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,117 times
I think this is a really worthwhile discussion. As it happens, unrelated to this thread I was up til 3 the morning it started trying to figure out what was so hard about dating stuff when I was young. Young was a long time ago for me, but those struggles influenced some choices that shaped my life. What I concluded, and what let me finally get some sleep once concluded, was that I had given away my power. Not the capital P type of power, but the everyday power well adjusted people exercise when they say "no" to a request, or an informed "yes" for that matter. When they set a boundary, or even more so when they enforce one. When they ask for something they want or need. When they hear "no". When they hear "yes".

I'm sure it's telling that I described those acts as "powerful". Of course they are in a sense, but they're also vulnerable acts, but that word, that thought, never entered my mind. If I'm honest though, so much of what made it so tough for me to connect with anyone when I was young was the fear of being vulnerable and the lengths I went to to hide my fear, and myself in the process.

Like so many of the young people here who bristle at the suggestion that they "be themselves" I wanted to kill people who suggested that to my younger self. Being "me" was getting me nowhere, but then I had myself fooled that the distorted, repressed caricature of myself I showed people was the real me. The caricature wasn't much worthy of people's time and attention, but I was. I am. I'm 59 years old and that's still hard to write.

So reading and thinking about this thread has been kind of cathartic for me. It's helped me make more sense out of the start I made early the other morning. I'm glad I saw it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships