Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 06:39 PM

24,510 posts, read 18,006,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What I noticed is that the servers will automatically provide separate checks if the woman ordered on her own, and communicated with the server independently, generally. If the woman defers to the guy, and he orders for both of them, the server puts everything on one check. This seems to be the rule pretty much everywhere, where the servers have any training: NW, CA, SW, IME.

This sends an interesting message; if you're in a relationship, you're not supposed to do your own ordering, ask questions about items on the menu, and so forth, if you're a woman. Which IMO is half the fun in going out to dinner. I'm not going to surrender my fun, so I guess it's separate checks for the rest of my life. Whatever.
I never encounter that. One check. It's invariably handed to me. Since proper restaurant etiquette is that the waiter always takes the woman's order first and serves her first, I'm certainly not ordering for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 08:41 PM

2,702 posts, read 1,820,538 times
If I told a man that I just wanted to be friends "for now", it would be a nice way of saying that I just wanted to be friends, period. I suppose that it could also mean that she wanted to take things slowly, but I personally would never dare use the phrase "let's just be friends" in any way, shape, or form, if I was the least bit interested in a man romantically. Those words are a romance killer.

Therefore, I would assume that your relationship with her will be platonic. My platonic friends and I alternate extending invitations to each other. So if I were you, I would not be the only one calling and asking to see each other. Sit back and let her call you up and take you out, as friends do.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:48 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,600,253 times
with friends, people pay for themselves. Unless I'm buying someone a drink or something. pretty standard.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:45 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,338,733 times
Separate checks

But if its just friends she wants to be
Not a good sign

Old 02-03-2017, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
It isnt stated so obviously, rather something along the lines of "i'd like to be friends first and see where that leads" implying that she wants to be open to a romantic possibility later.. but do you continue paying in the interim? Looks like the answer is quite fuzzy here. A lot of women will think its a continuation of the dating process.
The only people I ever pay for in my life is my girlfriend and family ( brothers, niece etc)

If she doesn't have the title "Cosmostars Girlfriend"

She is not touching my money one bit

Old 02-03-2017, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Yeah, he should stay away from women who start dating and then want to "downgrade" only to stick him with the bill. There's a lot of that going on among the posters here. Women are way more devious than I realized.
Whenever I hear stories about some girls wanting to immediately start off as friends with guys I generally see it as
You have been officially friend zoned

Just the way I see it.

No guy wants to waste their time making friends on a dating site
Almost all of them want a partner

Old 02-03-2017, 07:03 AM

353 posts, read 456,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Say a woman you met online tells you that she just wants to be friends "for now", still wants to hang out with you, but expects you to pickup the entire tab when you go out... is that a valid expectation? I guess I am asking what the expectation is of splitting the cost of dating these days when it's really "dating limbo" i.e. hanging in there to see if it becomes more than just friends?

My thinking was that when she mentions "just friends" it's automatically dutch whenever you hang out? Seems right?
No. I wouldn't treat her any differently from my male friends in the scenario you describe. I don't know what "automatically Dutch" means but occasionally I'll pick up the check as a favor, if I just got my tax return, on a birthday or something like that. 99% of the time you pay for what you order though.

It sounds like this girl identified you as someone she can string along and get free stuff from in the meantime. It's what some people call "Tinder Food Stamps" basically messaging a guy and showing interest in hopes of getting taken out on his dime with no intention of ever reciprocating. If you cut off the free meals, I wonder if she would stick around

Old 02-03-2017, 09:01 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,829,350 times
I have a friend who's a girl, so I can speak from experience. When me and her go eat somewhere, each person pays for themselves. Excluding special occasions, where I'd treat her to an appetizer or a cocktail---or pitch in with her other friends to get her a real present---but that's about it. Not unlike how I'd act with my guy friends. (Me and her became friends only recently, so treating each other to a full dinner isn't warranted just yet; it's something I'd do for a family member or a long-time friend.)

The only thing I do differently with her than with my guy friends is walk her to her car when we're hanging out at night somewhere. It's got nothing to do with acting like a boyfriend. It's about making sure she's safe.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:44 PM

4,828 posts, read 4,262,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Whenever I hear stories about some girls wanting to immediately start off as friends with guys I generally see it as
You have been officially friend zoned

Just the way I see it.

No guy wants to waste their time making friends on a dating site
Almost all of them want a partner

Friendzone is harsh, but I think it's mostly the right choice of word for this particular situation. Anytime I meet someone and it starts off as friends and doesn't really move from that, I tend to lose interest. At the same time, I'm not stupid either. Generally, there's someone getting more of her time than myself and other guys. The shoe fits vice versa too, when I'm telling a woman I just want to be friends. I'm just not interested in her romantically and I don't want to feel guilty going out on dates with other women. Friendzone absolves people from guilt when doing what they want to do. If that person was really interested in you, I highly doubt they'd lead with a term like "friendzone". Most people know that term as not going to lead to romance.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:50 PM

9,342 posts, read 6,884,607 times
that's why meeting for lunch and/or coffee works out... the guys pays but its < $20/per person so nothing of significance is expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships