Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 05:52 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
How old are you and how many children have you raised?
She has ziltch, zero, nada.

She wants to find a guy who will follow her passive approach to parenting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 07:51 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Yeah, well not all kids are the same and if you keep to a parental style such as you mentioned in your OP you will fail miserably. Children look to there parents for direction and discipline not suggestions.

"If I were you I wouldn't play by the road."

Or "DO NOT GO NEAR THE ROAD!"

It's your choice.
I am talking about parenting teens, not what happens in the earlier years. I did not say there is no childhood, I said adolescence is an artificial extension. Of course parents have to tell kids what to do in the earlier years.

I will politely request that you answer my original question. I understand that you are in a disagreement with me about the presumptions and a likely misunderstanding , but that is not what I asked.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
She has ziltch, zero, nada.

She wants to find a guy who will follow her passive approach to parenting.
I am not a "she".

Old 02-01-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Funny thing is, parenthood has a strange way of unraveling even your most staunchly held theories about parenting.

Do you really think you will find a woman to date on a website for underaged kids?
What website are you talking about? NYRA is for all advocates of young people's rights, not just young people. I have been to one of their actual meetings before, there are plenty in my age bracket there.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:18 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I am talking about parenting teens, not what happens in the earlier years. I did not say there is no childhood, I said adolescence is an artificial extension. Of course parents have to tell kids what to do in the earlier years.

I will politely request that you answer my original question. I understand that you are in a disagreement with me about the presumptions and a likely misunderstanding , but that is not what I asked.
The problem is that your premise has many faults.

But you are calling any and all rules and guidelines "irrrational" and "artificial."

Adolescence is not artificial. It happens, whether or not we want it to. It's merely a stage of development.

Teenagers receive grounding or other punishment when they've broken rules because that is a consequence of doing so, just like in life.

Civil rights and freedoms of young people cannot be "irrationally denied and undervalued in a discriminatory fashion" because their lack of maturity and life experience is NOT "purported." It's proven.

Like it or not, teenagers do not have the same freedoms as adults because they are NOT adults. They have the right to equal protection, which means they are entitled to the same treatment at the hands of authority regardless of race, gender, disability, or religion. Children are also entitled to due process. Other rights are obtained as they grow older.

Parenting takes place over a child's lifetime. So theoretically you will be working from Day 1 to grow an independent child. You can't just have a baby and let it go as it wants. Likewise, you can't raise a child according to certain rules and then just stop parenting them when they become 13 or 15 or whatever random age you choose.

So yes, your ability to find a mate with these unorthodox parenting theories will be a challenge, but mainly because YOU also will go through a growing process as you test your theories and find that they don't actually work.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:28 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
I strongly suggest 6 months of pre-marital counseling for you and your prospective mate before tying the knot. I suspect in your case that the range of issues that could cause an eventual divorce will not be limited to parenting style.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The problem is that your premise has many faults.

But you are calling any and all rules and guidelines "irrrational" and "artificial."

Adolescence is not artificial. It happens, whether or not we want it to. It's merely a stage of development.

Teenagers receive grounding or other punishment when they've broken rules because that is a consequence of doing so, just like in life.

Civil rights and freedoms of young people cannot be "irrationally denied and undervalued in a discriminatory fashion" because their lack of maturity and life experience is NOT "purported." It's proven.

Like it or not, teenagers do not have the same freedoms as adults because they are NOT adults. They have the right to equal protection, which means they are entitled to the same treatment at the hands of authority regardless of race, gender, disability, or religion. Children are also entitled to due process. Other rights are obtained as they grow older.

Parenting takes place over a child's lifetime. So theoretically you will be working from Day 1 to grow an independent child. You can't just have a baby and let it go as it wants. Likewise, you can't raise a child according to certain rules and then just stop parenting them when they become 13 or 15 or whatever random age you choose.

So yes, your ability to find a mate with these unorthodox parenting theories will be a challenge, but mainly because YOU also will go through a growing process as you test your theories and find that they don't actually work.
I expected there to be backlash against the youth-rights view here based on the commonly held belief that someone has supposedly "proven" that teens cannot competently make adult decisions, but again this is not the question.

And your last paragraph makes no sense. My ability to find a mate is something that would happen before I "test" any parenting style, not after. (It's find mate and then have kids, not the other way.) Maybe I misunderstood.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:51 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I expected there to be backlash against the youth-rights view here based on the commonly held belief that someone has supposedly "proven" that teens cannot competently make adult decisions, but again this is not the question.

And your last paragraph makes no sense. My ability to find a mate is something that would happen before I "test" any parenting style, not after. (It's find mate and then have kids, not the other way.) Maybe I misunderstood.
It definitely was not my best effort at sentence construction.

I suspect you also have rigid, untested theories about how other things should be done, not just parenting. As you grow and gain more life experience yourself and test THOSE, your relationships will be challenged. Besides that, the youth rights concept is an outsider theory at best, which means your pool of potential mates WILL be automatically smaller than if you had a more mainstream approach.

At any rate, doctors HAVE proven, many times, that teen brains and adult brains are different, as is their decision-making ability. Not "supposedly." That's why your premise is flawed.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:59 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
What I find interesting is the OP does not agree with laws yet the OP would turn in their own child to save themselves from legal liability, you know, that financially costly repercussion when one breaks the law.......

OP: I sincerely suggest you do not have children for a very long time.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It definitely was not my best effort at sentence construction.

I suspect you also have rigid, untested theories about how other things should be done, not just parenting. As you grow and gain more life experience yourself and test THOSE, your relationships will be challenged. Besides that, the youth rights concept is an outsider theory at best, which means your pool of potential mates WILL be automatically smaller than if you had a more mainstream approach.

At any rate, doctors HAVE proven, many times, that teen brains and adult brains are different, as is their decision-making ability. Not "supposedly." That's why your premise is flawed.
Ok that's what I had suspected. Having uncommon views of a kind that could result in household conflict means I must be very careful about mate selection.

And for the record, yes brains change with age. The point of contention is only about whether the changes are of a degree and kind that warrant a deprivation of ordinary liberties. Women's brains are also different from men's but that doesn't mean they should have any less autonomy (or any more). Decision making can be affected by a multitude of factors - age, income, education level, gender, etc. but again the question is what warrants a denial of liberty.

I am strongly leaning towards the idea of the youth rights movement as a place to look for a potential mate.

Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships