Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 09:21 PM

728 posts, read 472,096 times

Advertisements

No!!! I've done this twice, and it was terrible both times. Dating your peers at work adds an extra layer of stress on top of work stress. Don't do it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2017, 09:30 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Seems so but that term gets bandied about way to much and the stigma can be devastating.
Yes that's true and I'm not one to pass it off so easily or any other label myself mate but with his ex I'm quite sure it's relevant

Old 02-04-2017, 09:31 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuason77 View Post
We're hooking up and having fun, she already wants commitment and I told her I'm very into her but we should take things slow because I just got out of a relationship and she understood me.
From my view, it is too late to keep it casual. You should have had that talk before you both hooked up. From her end, you are committed to her... she's just telling you what you want to hear to avoid the awkwardness.

You want to test it out?

Tell her you have a date with another coworker and see if she really truly believes this is a casual relationship.

I've been in all sorts of relationships;Monogamous, FWB, casual, open. What all those relationships had in common was that we never were intimate without making sure we both understood where we stood as a couple/individuals relationship wise. Anything less could just be misinterpreted, misunderstood, and perceived as deception. Someone is going to get hurt.

Now back to the original question. Rarely is it a good idea to get involved with a coworker. Relationships start and end all the time.. sometimes amicably and sometimes badly. The best way to move on is distance.. kinda hard if you have a working relationship. Other coworkers may feel favoritism because of the relationship. It can make for some really awkward situations. Some companies also have rules/regulations for their employees around relationships among coworkers.. in particular to between a manager and subordinates.

No matter what... people will do what they want and date who they want... despite advice from strangers. Nothing wrong with that. Certainly your choice. I just recommend considering your career and job options if things go south.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:22 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCollie View Post
You both sound young and not very smart (no offense....). I actually disagree with people on never dating a coworker. Most people who break up don't have bad break ups. If you are thinking about dating a coworker, you better be prepared that it could be awkward. Again I think people over hype not having workplace romances. Unless you are someone with some huge social network or are always on the go, the odds are you will become friends with coworkers or date them.
Agree with this. Most of these threads about dating co-workers are usually filled with robotic replies like ''Don't date co-workers'' all throughout the thread. I don't think I've read one in this thread yet, probably because it's already too late for the OP to not do it.

I already know a few people who dated in my workplace and even some of them who broke up and are still working together. I have one co-worker who was interested, but I'm happily engaged. Would have went out with her if I were single. Why? Because I don't really care. I don't blame someone for not wanting to date co-workers though, and I know it could very well be a bad idea, especially in a very professional setting. Though I think back to a thread about a person who worked at a grocery store and wanted to ask the girl out that he worked with, then the post was followed by these cult-like replies of ''Don't date co-workers''. If you're working at a place like that, there's a good chance at least one of you won't even be there in a year from now, and people date co-workers all the time in places like that. Some of our parents and grandparents may have even met from working at some ice cream shoppe or grocery store, fast food joint, what have you.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:20 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,144 times
I am not going to automatically say not to date a coworker, because I have done it myself. Sometimes the workplace is the biggest social thing that people have got going on in their lives. The thing that sucks is that if you break up, you have to see that person every day. It could work a lot better if you work in different departments to mitigate the chance of that happening.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:26 AM

113 posts, read 85,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
Agree with this. Most of these threads about dating co-workers are usually filled with robotic replies like ''Don't date co-workers'' all throughout the thread. I don't think I've read one in this thread yet, probably because it's already too late for the OP to not do it.

I already know a few people who dated in my workplace and even some of them who broke up and are still working together. I have one co-worker who was interested, but I'm happily engaged. Would have went out with her if I were single. Why? Because I don't really care. I don't blame someone for not wanting to date co-workers though, and I know it could very well be a bad idea, especially in a very professional setting. Though I think back to a thread about a person who worked at a grocery store and wanted to ask the girl out that he worked with, then the post was followed by these cult-like replies of ''Don't date co-workers''. If you're working at a place like that, there's a good chance at least one of you won't even be there in a year from now, and people date co-workers all the time in places like that. Some of our parents and grandparents may have even met from working at some ice cream shoppe or grocery store, fast food joint, what have you.
I've been on long time lurker on this forum and yeah a lot of responses are so one sided. I've dated coworkers maybe 2-3 times in my life. While we would see each other around daily it wasn't weird. I was still able to do my job fine. There was none of this "Oh gee I now have to avoid going in that hall because XXXXX will be there". Honestly if that's going to be how you are, then yah don't date coworkers. It's a very immature and childish outlook to me.

SWGirl said something true about work places becoming social which is true in some places (it is at mine). My boss is a really nice guy (and yeah I have to remember he is my boss) and is friends with some of us outside of work. Some may say people like him are overstepping boundaries and I could see that to him, it probably is more important to be well liked as an overall person than as a professional (I know that sounds bad). My boss isn't the most professional boss that I've had and sometimes has made extra work for me that he hasn't wanted to do, but he is easy to work with, I'm not afraid of going to him for something, and I actually like him. He's someone some of us can get drinks with, see a movie with, and would let us stay over if we had to (I have a funny story about that lol). That may be his upbringing though. He was raised by hippie parents, went to a well known liberal school, and has very, very left views.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:09 AM

340 posts, read 272,273 times
Just for the record, we work in different departments!

Old 02-05-2017, 04:16 PM

249 posts, read 188,856 times
Quote:
Hello friends, it's been a three months since I broke up with my ex and thank God I've moved on and I'm feeling better. Last week I began to hang out with this cute coworker, we already had sex LOL, she's six years younger than me, she's christian, she even confessed me she lost her virginity recently, she's very religious.
Anyways, guys you know my past threads here, I want to thank you for all the help you gave me here, I really appreciate my friends. I just want to share with you guys about this girl, I'm still thinking about...We're hooking up and having fun, she already wants commitment and I told her I'm very into her but we should take things slow because I just got out of a relationship and she understood me.
I know it's early to engage in another relationship but it happened, maybe keep things casual and get to know her first to see if we are good for each other. I just hope this doesn't affect my job, but I have ethics in my workplace. Let's see what happens guys

Lol, you should have thought about your job before you hooked up with this floozy who uses her religion as a crutch. You come across like a typical young dude who thinks with his glands instead of his brain.
I repeat----
It’s unprofessional and unethical to date co-workers. You go to your job to work, not fish in the company pond.
Some companies have rules against dating co-workers. Know your company’s policies before you do something you might regret later!

Old 02-05-2017, 04:18 PM

249 posts, read 188,856 times
Quote:
I know it doesn't matter but my ex girlfriend deleted me from facebook instagram and everything! We broke up three months ago and now she found out I'm seeing other girl and she deleted me from every social media, whatsapp, etc! Why she did this?

You’re right, it doesn’t matter so get over it and move on.
You hooked up with a co-worker and had sex with her not even a week after you met. Not only are you flipping ignorant but you have no morals or ethics whatsoever.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:49 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCollie View Post
I've been on long time lurker on this forum and yeah a lot of responses are so one sided.
A very good example of this would be
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindance maggie View Post
It’s unprofessional and unethical to date co-workers. You go to your job to work, not fish in the company pond.[/font]
[font="Verdana"]Some companies have rules against dating co-workers. Know your company’s policies before you do something you might regret later
And why is it ''Unethical''? Because YOU say it is? And you're gonna tell me if you two young people working at Taco Bell date each other it's unprofessional and unethical? Get off your high horse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships