Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2017, 01:26 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,437 times

Advertisements

I do not, as a general rule, date. A total lack of aptitude for 'the game' and a similar absence of the desire either to win or lose compelled to opt out many years ago in pursuit of an uncomplicated, solitary life. So far, so good.

Once upon a time, however, I wanted to write something that involved dating websites, so I thought I'd better do some research to see how they worked. The number of single parents and spelling mistakes appalled me, but not enough to stop me putting up the most pompous, long winded and verbose profile I could cobble together. This, I thought, would guarantee me no replies and let me browse and learn in peace. I was right, for the most part, besides the woman who twisted my arm into a lunchtime meet and turned out to be neither as clever nor quirky as I thought. Fortunately the amount of onions on my satay chicken prevented our encounter from growing any closer, and I've had no contact with her since.

I have also seen very little in the world of online dating that might encourage me to change my thinking. If I happened across any of the following, I might be convinced to renounce my bachelor's ways.

'My ideal first date would be a Rush concert.'

'I genuinely enjoy heavy metal and I love guys who wear band shirts all through the summer.'

'I actively dislike children, don't want any and have never taken a long walk on the beach in my life.'

'Correct spelling and good grammar are the best ways to get me wet.'

'My ideal man knows more about Italian horror movies than anyone who doesn't write books about them for a living.'

I'll cop to any charges of expecting too much so I don't have to deal with the consequences of getting anything . What are some of the more eccentric profile points you'd like to see on a dating profile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 06:15 AM

217 posts, read 237,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
I'll cop to any charges of expecting too much so I don't have to deal with the consequences of getting anything . What are some of the more eccentric profile points you'd like to see on a dating profile?
I would like to see "I'm a huge bluegrass music fan, and it's pretty much all I ever listen to. I drive at least 20,000 miles a year just to attend as many festivals as I do. But I am tired of going to these alone. I would really like to find a man who is as passionate about bluegrass as I am, and who will travel with me to all these festivals every spring and summer, including SPBGMA and IBMA."

Old 02-05-2017, 12:57 PM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassGuy View Post
I would like to see "I'm a huge bluegrass music fan, and it's pretty much all I ever listen to."
This is the closest you'll get out of me, boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL5-v_-YyAA

Old 02-05-2017, 02:10 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post

[...]

What are some of the more eccentric profile points you'd like to see on a dating profile?
The obscure shared interests, clever and witty diction, creativity. Fortunately, I came across a lot of really amusing, engaging and intriguing profiles. I have a knack for verbosity, but my husband had me beat by 100 words. His profile had 2200 words. I preferred long, well-written profiles.

My profile was pretty damn awesome. Like, really awesome. It hooked my target audience, and even others who weren't exactly my type, but appreciated my writing and creativity. I included easter eggs (usually comics, sci-fi and fantasy related) in my OKC profile, and it was multimedia-enhanced, because why not? I shared memes, music, clips from my favorite TV shows, etc. The "headline" was a reference to an independent film that readers had to guess. I also included a short creative writing excerpt to go with it. My husband guessed correctly.

He appreciated my other references and music, music he was familiar with, but hadn't delved into much.

Various mentions that drew my attention: appreciation for the arts, philosophy, humanities, epic orchestral music and film/video game scores (Clint Mansell, Two Steps From Hell, Max Richter, Zack Hemsey, Hans Zimmer), Carl Sagan, Joseph Campbell, video games, cos play, music festivals/gigs, secular humanism, film studies, literature, sci-fi, fantasy, astronomy, etc.

My husband's profile hooked me from the beginning, and seeing his list of favorite filmmakers, Sergio Leone, David Fincher, Darren Aronofsky, Coen brothers, Nolan, Danny Boyle, et al., was clear to me that he appreciates film and knows his movies.

According to my husband, my profile really resonated with him, so much so that he was so sure I was fake or someone messing with him. My profile seemed so well-tailored, down to how we answered over 1200 questions, that I couldn't possibly be legit.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:39 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassGuy View Post
I would like to see "I'm a huge bluegrass music fan, and it's pretty much all I ever listen to. I drive at least 20,000 miles a year just to attend as many festivals as I do. But I am tired of going to these alone. I would really like to find a man who is as passionate about bluegrass as I am, and who will travel with me to all these festivals every spring and summer, including SPBGMA and IBMA."
You're wasting your time if you think you'll ever find that with OLD. I'm in northern Appalachia and I don't really know anyone that likes bluegrass. You need to use social networking and find people that are in enthusiast clubs and so on. OLD is a waste of time. I emailed someone the other day that has the exact same interests as me, similar age, similar body style, no kids like me... no response. I do this a couple times a week just as a test I already know what the result will be.

I don't have the time to go through a 100 profiles a day and then spend the time to write personal letters and then never get a response. It only works for women because in some areas they have a 4:1 M:F ratio. If I walk into a bar with 1000 single women and only 300 single men you'd have to be some kind of a moron to not walk out of there with at least 20 phone numbers and dates.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 02-06-2017 at 11:56 AM..

Old 02-08-2017, 07:53 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Default things-you-never-see-dating-sites.

Phone numbers.

What?

It's true.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:11 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
My wife has a friend who, for the last 20 years I have known her, has constantly been looking for a long-term relationship on a popular Danish dating site. She is lovely, but her personality is less so. Her profile includes a lot of weird (to me) stuff, but is basically honest about her likes and dislikes, although it doesn't really touch on the main points of how she behaves, which I am not going into.

She attracts men on the site like flies and generally rejects them, due to any number of "defects". Then she goes into town, hooks up with a few guys in a local score bar, and goes right back on the dating site to find and a reject the new men of her dreams.

How does a guy on a dating site deal with something like this? It looks like a mine field to me.

I can't answer your question, if you have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships