Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 05:56 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,152,589 times

Advertisements

So me and the wife have hit a bit of a lull in our 28 year relationship. I would like to provide some kind of grand gesture to show her what she means to me after all these years.

The problem is, I don't know what to do exactly. I'm afraid I don't know what a grand gesture is but I do know what it isn't. It's not gifts, flowers, trips or a new Lexus. It's not something that comes up in a Google search either (try as I might ). I call on the ladies of C-D to help me out here and tell me what your spouse could do to show his love.

My only thoughts thus far are getting a tattoo with a heart and her name or maybe learn to play guitar and play one of our songs for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 06:12 PM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
So me and the wife have hit a bit of a lull in our 28 year relationship. I would like to provide some kind of grand gesture to show her what she means to me after all these years.

The problem is, I don't know what to do exactly. I'm afraid I don't know what a grand gesture is but I do know what it isn't. It's not gifts, flowers, trips or a new Lexus. It's not something that comes up in a Google search either (try as I might ). I call on the ladies of C-D to help me out here and tell me what your spouse could do to show his love.
If you don't know what a Grand Gesture is - then why you want to try/give it?

BTW: Grand Gestures are those extravagant, seemingly self-sacrificial acts intended to prove the depth of your love.

Quote:
My only thoughts thus far are getting a tattoo with a heart and her name or maybe learn to play guitar and play one of our songs for her.
Lol... I don't think you're serious!

I think, you should forget the ONE TIME Grand Gesture, and concentrate on everyday little, loving gestures that keep a marriage alive.
Here is a nice list:
http://timmilesandco.com/30-ways-to-...-for-30-years/
or this
https://marriagemissions.com/175-rom...uld-easily-do/

Last edited by elnina; 01-17-2017 at 06:33 PM..

Old 01-17-2017, 06:14 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Ooooh fun! Good for you for trying

Ok, let's brainstorm.

Is there something that she has mentioned before that she wants to get done but just can't get to it? Something fixed or repaired or redone, or a project that you could "take care of" so it would no longer be hanging out there on her mind?

Does she have any interests/hobbies that she hasn't really been pursuing because "life is getting in the way"?

I'll keep thinking. I like this idea.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:57 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,531,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post

Congratulations paul on the lucky 28 mate

Personally I'd think a ULTRA romantic weekend/week away would be very grand, Just the two of you in an intimate setting etc

Or an odd one but how about a very personal " love journal " of your time together?, Basically like a diary made up with old pictures, memories, moments of the two of you together ( like moments that YOU remember fondly and she might have even forgotten.... Even remembering the little things are quite magical and she'll be shocked and touched by it I'm sure ).

It would be time consuming and incredibly thoughtful on your part, pouring your heart and soul into it but I'm positive that is why it would be the most personal gift you could ever give her..... Which would of course make it the grandest

Again congrats paul on the 28 it couldn't happen to a nicer bloke

Old 01-17-2017, 07:27 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Here's the hard part: a grand gesture is effective when it reflects how well you know, and care, about receiver.

What is a dream of hers? Travel? School? A hobby? Anything you always poo-poo'd and now can take back? Scuba diving?

Is there something you can take over to show how much you appreciate her? Cooking? Classes together?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-17-2017, 07:43 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Wow, this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Or an odd one but how about a very personal " love journal " of your time together?, Basically like a diary made up with old pictures, memories, moments of the two of you together ( like moments that YOU remember fondly and she might have even forgotten.... Even remembering the little things are quite magical and she'll be shocked and touched by it I'm sure ).
... is an amazing idea

It reminds me of something my dad did for my mom one Valentine's Day long ago. Instead of just getting her a card and candy, he made one of those shoebox valentine holders that kids used to use during school Valentine parties so their classmates could pass out little Valentines. He then filled it with a bunch of little personal valentines he had written for her.

Sort of like this:

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 01-17-2017 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: add photo

Old 01-17-2017, 07:48 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Does she do the majority of the housework? If so, arrange for some professionals to clean the house top to bottom and treat her to a spa day. Coming home to a spotless house after a relaxing day away will be a grand gesture ANYONE can appreciate and will take a ton of stress away for a bit.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:09 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,152,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If you don't know what a Grand Gesture is - then why you want to try/give it?

BTW: Grand Gestures are those extravagant, seemingly self-sacrificial acts intended to prove the depth of your love.

Lol... I don't think you're serious!

I think, you should forget the ONE TIME Grand Gesture, and concentrate on everyday little, loving gestures that keep a marriage alive.
Here is a nice list:
30 Ways to Stay Married for 30 Years • Tim Miles & Co.
or this
https://marriagemissions.com/175-rom...uld-easily-do/
Let me rephrase that; I know what a grand gesture is, I just need ideas to make sure I'm on the right track.

I am serious about the tattoo, it would have deeper meaning than just a heart with her name. Last October I went into cardiac arrest in my sleep due to a rare genetic heart disorder that I didn't even know that I had. She performed CPR without even knowing how for 13 minutes until paramedics arrived and saved my life in the process. So, my heart beats for (and because of) her. Plus, it's permanent, till death do us part indeed.

I already do a lot of the little things on a daily basis to show her I care. I bring her coffee in the morning, always make sure her car is full so she doesn't have to pump gas and kiss her head while she's sleeping if I come to bed after she does. I started a thing that I called "Saturday gifts of appreciation" where I would leave her a small gift at the coffee pot every Saturday morning. A mug, gym shoes, an iPod shuffle, etc. She told me to stop because she didn't want me to spend the money on her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
That is a great idea, thanks pal. I actually said a long time ago that I wish I was keeping a journal all these years so we could look back on our life together someday. Just the mundane, everyday stuff that slips from your memory, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Does she do the majority of the housework? If so, arrange for some professionals to clean the house top to bottom and treat her to a spa day. Coming home to a spotless house after a relaxing day away will be a grand gesture ANYONE can appreciate and will take a ton of stress away for a bit.
That's a good idea too, thanks! We both work so it's not always easy to find time to keep the house as she likes it. The problem is we've hired cleaning services in the past and they never clean to her standards. Or the house smells funny or they use some weird cleaner on the wood floors that makes us slip.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:11 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,407,210 times
Are you handy? Can you make her something? That could mean more than anything that you could possibly buy.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:26 AM

308 posts, read 446,235 times
Speaking from my own experience, women are very happy with a simple gift that shows something very important to them... that you listen to them.

Examples:
  • My wife had mentioned she wanted to try kickboxing. Christmas 2014 I got her a voucher for 10 classes.
  • Our wedding video was on VHS. She mentioned on our anniversary that she wished we could watch it, but we don't have a VCR anymore. Christmas 2015 I had the photographer transfer it to DVD.
  • She mentioned while we were out one night that she wanted some free weights so she could excercise at home. I got her some this past Christmas. And she wasn't happy just because I got the weights. She actually smiled and said to me, "You do listen to me!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships