U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 01:01 PM

14 posts, read 6,961 times

Advertisements

The guy I'm dating tends to talk about girls he's dated or his 'gal' friends. I don't know why he does this because I NEVER once brought up my exes or differentiate my girl/guy friends.

Examples:
"Oh, I don't mind. I've dated taller girls than you."
"I don't have problems getting dates, it's whether we have chemistry or not."
"You're usually not the type of girl I date." - we met at a bar and were just talking about our first impressions.
He's going on vacation with his friends this weekend. I asked how many of them and he said: "about 10 of us.. not sure if any of my girlfriends are going, though." I don't get this? Why does he have to differentiate his guy/girl friends?
"I have more girlfriends than guy friends. They're just less stressful to hang out with"
"My best girlfriend, blah blah blah.."
"One of my girlfriends told me this joke, blah blah"
There's more. I just can't remember all of them......

Also, on our 6th date, he said, "I would really appreciate if you OFFERED to pay for small things even though I would not have you pay. Then I would take you on better dates. I don't want to feel like a provider."

Mind you, yes, I haven't paid for **** or offered but c'mon, we've only been out 6 times and I'm still trying to figure out this guy. I totally get why he said this. Maybe he's setting his standards. I'll start paying, no problem BUT what he said after pissed me off.

"For example, I once dated this girl who was a student, and she offered to pay even though she was on a low budget." I was like ok.

Is this a form of open communication and him telling me how he feels? I have never had my date tell me to offer to pay and I rarely pay on first few dates lol..

I kind of sense he's a jealous type or maybe he's insecure? He comes off as a VERY confident guy, though.
BTW, I'm 23 and he's 31.
Is this behavior normal?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 01:02 PM

35,103 posts, read 45,909,050 times
Apparantly normal for him and he is the only one who can answer your question so ask him.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:21 PM

15,671 posts, read 9,916,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBeeee View Post
The guy I'm dating tends to talk about girls he's dated or his 'gal' friends. I don't know why he does this because I NEVER once brought up my exes or differentiate my girl/guy friends.

Examples:
"Oh, I don't mind. I've dated taller girls than you."
"I don't have problems getting dates, it's whether we have chemistry or not."
"You're usually not the type of girl I date." - we met at a bar and were just talking about our first impressions.
He's going on vacation with his friends this weekend. I asked how many of them and he said: "about 10 of us.. not sure if any of my girlfriends are going, though." I don't get this? Why does he have to differentiate his guy/girl friends?
"I have more girlfriends than guy friends. They're just less stressful to hang out with"
"My best girlfriend, blah blah blah.."
"One of my girlfriends told me this joke, blah blah"
There's more. I just can't remember all of them......

Also, on our 6th date, he said, "I would really appreciate if you OFFERED to pay for small things even though I would not have you pay. Then I would take you on better dates. I don't want to feel like a provider."

Mind you, yes, I haven't paid for **** or offered but c'mon, we've only been out 6 times and I'm still trying to figure out this guy. I totally get why he said this. Maybe he's setting his standards. I'll start paying, no problem BUT what he said after pissed me off.

"For example, I once dated this girl who was a student, and she offered to pay even though she was on a low budget." I was like ok.

Is this a form of open communication and him telling me how he feels? I have never had my date tell me to offer to pay and I rarely pay on first few dates lol..

I kind of sense he's a jealous type or maybe he's insecure? He comes off as a VERY confident guy, though.
BTW, I'm 23 and he's 31.
Is this behavior normal?
The first part he's sounds a prince , it just sounds in some stupid way he's trying to enforce what a great and popular bloke he is for whatever reason and sounds like he's talking down to you a bit so no he's NOT a particularly confident bloke as confident blokes don't have to try and convince you that they're this and that

And yes by the 6th date!!! You should be a bit more affluent or and least offer something but he should have left it at that when he raised his concerns and said his piece so agreed the last bit was a tad strong

Well it's not " normal " behaviour for me or most blokes i know

Personally I'd pay him a bus fair home ..... Alone and not see him again.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:21 PM

16,294 posts, read 16,156,255 times
I wouldn't continue dating this guy.. He openly stated you are not his type and will just continue to make you feel "less than" any and every other girl.

Sounds like he's just building himself up in order to manipulate you, for whatever reason...( sex, adoration, control, money etc... )

Old 02-16-2017, 01:22 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,441,907 times
The way you describe him, I'm surprised he gets second dates.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:23 PM

90,446 posts, read 86,522,929 times
I think 6 dates is more than "the first few". I suppose we could create a thread about it, which inevitably would run to 30 pages, about how many is more than "the first few", and when a woman should start offering to pay, but.....let's not.

The behavior isn't entirely normal, and it seems that he's sending you a message that he can get another girl to date anytime. In which case, I think you should let him do exactly that. He sounds like he already has one foot out the door, anyway. Not a great loss to you. Consider checking out guys a little closer to your age, maybe.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:28 PM

16,719 posts, read 17,092,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBeeee View Post

BTW, I'm 23 and he's 31.
So here's a 31yo adult being honest about his budget, and the 23yo girl gets pissed.

As a woman, I always assume I am going to pay for my own outing. To not do so seems gold-diggerish.

As far as the rest, I get the feeling he means he's never dated someone so much younger than he.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:30 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,610,523 times
Honestly- he sounds like a tool to me. Like he's trying to talk himself with all the lady friends. Plus to tell you you're not his type........ nice.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:00 PM

14 posts, read 6,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I wouldn't continue dating this guy.. He openly stated you are not his type and will just continue to make you feel "less than" any and every other girl.

Sounds like he's just building himself up in order to manipulate you, for whatever reason...( sex, adoration, control, money etc... )
You're right. Hmm.. this thread really made me realize he's not the one for me. I honestly have no idea what his intentions are and that's a bad feeling. Thanks

Old 02-16-2017, 02:16 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,347,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
Honestly- he sounds like a tool to me.
agree. to mention other girls is just slimy and rude, and not surprising that he's still single. no girl wants to hear about other girls, especially not repeatedly, whether they're exes or current.

next time he mentions "this other girl" or something, get up and say, well why don't you call one of them! then leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships