Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:13 AM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times

Advertisements

i agree that the proposal in the opening post is appealing, it does speak of commitment, and also "acceptance" into his side of the family, which is lovely

the flip side of that my then-inlaws insisted i be buried in the family plot without giving me a choice. Not only that, but they insisted that all our children (then unborn, it was years before we even had kids) also be buried there, even marked out the spots in the cemetery. That was gruesome and not to my liking, they just handed me one christmas a piece of paper that was a map of the cemetery, with my "plot" marked out with my name on it. And spots for future children "their grandchildren" like they owned them already and were bossing them around already and they WEREN"T EVEN BORN YET!!!!

When I objected, they got all mad and said i was ungrateful and did i know how expensive cemetery plots were, what they cost blah blah blah. It totally creeped me out, all about control and power with them. I never was welcomed into the family and divorced after many years. When their son got wifey #2 I suspect they handed her the same piece of paper and crossed out my name and wrote in hers. I am sooooooo happy to be out of that family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 04:58 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
I think the guy is very unique to have come up with a proposal like that.

My late husband proposed to me with a monogrammed spoon.
I guess I like unique people.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:28 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,088 times
My Dh took me to a jewlery store and said well pick one out, I looked at him like pick what out he said an engagment ring, so I picked one out and a week later whne it was sized he put it on my finger and then said oh wait maybe I should ask you to marry me. For me with all of the broken promises i had in the past this was the best way anyone could have asked me to marry him.(of course I said yes)

Old 03-05-2008, 11:50 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
We'd been dating a couple weeks and we were driving back home (we moved in together after about a week - for the sake of the kitten, long story). He very casually mentions that his stepdad is a jeweler and asks what kind of ring I'd like when we get married. I "casually" told him that I KNEW he was NOT proposing, because when he did, he'd be on his knees and he'd have a diamond in his hand. Honestly, I didn't really think he was proposing, I thought it was an offhand comment and I was trying to be funny.

10 months later, we had moved. He sold his car that day, walked back in the house and asked if I wanted to go out to this really fancy place for dinner. I told him I didn't have anything to wear. He handed me half the cash for the car and suggested I go shopping. I knew right then!

Sure enough, 4 hours later, he was on his knees, diamond in hand... I have no idea what exactly he said, but everyone in the restaurant was clapping and cheering. The waitress congratulated me and with tears in her eyes told him it was the SWEETEST proposal she'd ever seen - then he told her he was just following orders and reminded me of that day in the car.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:44 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,324 times
We were hanging out on the beach after a long day of work, poor as heck, and just relaxing. I was nagging and picking on him and generally being a brat, when he told me "Ok ok, can you be serious for a sec?" I totally knew what was up, so I just gave him "that" look.

Then he took my hand, put it down on the wet sand, and fashioned a ring around my ring finger. He said "I don't have enough money to get a ring yet, but I just can't wait to ask...will you marry me?"

I cried LIKE A BABY through the rest of his speech about how much he loved me. He eventually did afford the ring, and proposed again at the park across from work after he picked me up one night.

He's a total sap, but the proposal was perfect for us. Married a year and a half now!

Old 08-30-2009, 01:50 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,776,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
In 1969 we were living together and both going to school when we heard about Food Stamps and that college students could qualify.

As we sat in the Food Stamp office filing out the forms, my girlfriend noticed that a married couple got more stamps than two individuals.

"Check box A instead of box B", she said. "Then we will be a married couple and get so many Food Stamps that we will have some to trade for weed."

"Far out", I said.

And we have been married ever since.
OK, I LOVE this story!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships