Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:42 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,639 times

Advertisements

OOO beowulf, thats a good one, especially for the youngens. I have only been in love once, and I as lucky enough to marry my first love. Fell in love with him on our 2nd or 3rd date. Each date went from noon til the next morning of us just talking and laughing-- I just knew (Id add a winky, smiley here but I dont know how!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 12:33 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,606,137 times
I fell for my husband the moment I saw him. I was 13 and he was 20. I said to my girlfriend "I'm gonna marry that man someday". We started dating 6 years later (obviously I was way too young at 13) and 6 years after that we got married. Been together ever since.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:43 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
i don't think it can be "love" at first sight. I've been able to tell three times instantly and immediately that the person is hugely significant for me, but that's not love. I've felt instant sexual chemistry with someone, but that's not love. I've felt an immediate attraction and affinity and ease in someone's presence like I've know them forever, but that's not love.

What I consider love only happens over time after getting to know the person, and after revealing more and more of myself to the person, knowing each other at a deep level.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:43 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
I guess ever since after my college boyfriend, I tend to just fall "in lust." Of course, that's not what I believe at the time. It only takes a look and a sniff. (OK, it's not quite THAT simple - lack of brains, manners, and sense of humor is definitely a turnoff regardless of the purposes and intentions). Suppose I'm not very evolved. This is not to say it happens often, but often enough to mess up my life, I guess... Oh, well, too late to teach an old dog new tricks. I've figured as long as I commit to staying away from marriages and live-in situations, it's fine and dandy. What's the point of doing something I don't enjoy... Either all (for as long as it lasts) or nothing! Only have to remember and pray not to lose my mind somewhere along the way... It's kinda easy to stick to my decision in this country, though. The lifestyle and the items on the menu where I live are not likely to get me in trouble unless I trouble trouble... Then again, I've been known to do that, too.

Now that I said this, don't take any relationship advice from me! I don't feel qualified to offer it anyway. At this point I do know a lot about how things have to be done in theory, but have a problem with practicing what I could possibly preach.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:18 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times
I knew that my husband was going to be the man I was going to marry within two weeks of dating (I didn't tell him this until AFTER her proposed - can't scare the man away). I had a serious crush on him for a year before that...

Old 03-06-2008, 02:33 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
i don't think it can be "love" at first sight. I've been able to tell three times instantly and immediately that the person is hugely significant for me, but that's not love. I've felt instant sexual chemistry with someone, but that's not love. I've felt an immediate attraction and affinity and ease in someone's presence like I've know them forever, but that's not love.

What I consider love only happens over time after getting to know the person, and after revealing more and more of myself to the person, knowing each other at a deep level.
That's a good way to put it. It just happens in my case that everytime I've had the experience it's blossomed into love

Old 03-06-2008, 02:38 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,985,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMaR911 View Post
Once ..

it was unbelievable .. took 3 days from me to fall in love ..

but it let me suffer for 3 years ..
No kidding. The classical song "Chagrin D'Amour" says it all - The pleasure of love lasts only for an instant, but the sorrow lasts all life long.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:42 PM

2,355 posts, read 2,182,644 times
It didn't take me long at all to fall in love with my husband...even shorter for hubby. We were friends first and talked about lots of things so when our friendship blossomed to a relationship, I knew so much about him anyways, the good and the bad, that falling in love with him was the icing on the cake...I knew we'd get married someday.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:48 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
when people jump into that "i love you" with me right away my gut reaction inside is "how can you love me? you don't even know me?" i trust my bull**** meter. it's a whole different reaction when I hear "i love you" after we've been through some stuff together, and it feels like the person has paid attention to getting to know me and what makes me tic.

i'd rather wait to hear it until i feel like it is genuine and means something

Old 03-06-2008, 02:55 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
when people jump into that "i love you" with me right away my gut reaction inside is "how can you love me? you don't even know me?" i trust my bull**** meter. it's a whole different reaction when I hear "i love you" after we've been through some stuff together, and it feels like the person has paid attention to getting to know me and what makes me tic.

i'd rather wait to hear it until i feel like it is genuine and means something
Oh, well, some of us used to believe in "love" at first sight... If I "love" him... why wouldn't he... The thing is both parties genuinely believe in it at the moment. It's not usually about deliberately faking it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships