Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 10:30 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times

Advertisements

I suppose if I were a demure, submissive, religious woman, who believed men were always right and should always be in charge, that would be good advice.

But since I'm not.....<VOMIT>

Here's what stood out to me the most:

13. Love him in the way he needs it, not the way you assume he needs it. Find out your different love languages and be sensitive and ready to show him you love him in ways he understands best.
BUT ALSO
22. Allow your husband to love you his way instead of comparing his expression of love to your own ideals. If you keep comparing, you may miss the most beautiful moments of tenderness.

So, love him HIS way, and let him love you HIS way, because the way YOU want to be loved doesn't matter.

Nope. Nope, nope, nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 10:48 AM

11,784 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where's the "marriage advice for men from a divorced guy"? There's gotta be one somewhere...
I just noticed at the top of the article it says it's in response to an article about the best marriage advice from a divorced man.

Just read through it and while not perfect, is much better than the advice from a divorced woman, IMO.

Here's the link.

https://jamesrussell.org/blog/blog/b...rs-of-marriage

Old 04-15-2017, 11:37 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
haha this should be made into a pamphlet and given to every high school girl at graduation.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:40 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
haha this should be made into a pamphlet and given to every high school girl at graduation.
Don't kid yourself into thinking every high school girl hasn't heard most of these at some point before graduation.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Well, if the goal is to reduce marriage rates, then definitely. Because very few smart young women would get married if they were told these were the expectations of men.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:13 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I suppose if I were a demure, submissive, religious woman, who believed men were always right and should always be in charge, that would be good advice.

But since I'm not.....<VOMIT>

Here's what stood out to me the most:

13. Love him in the way he needs it, not the way you assume he needs it. Find out your different love languages and be sensitive and ready to show him you love him in ways he understands best.
BUT ALSO
22. Allow your husband to love you his way instead of comparing his expression of love to your own ideals. If you keep comparing, you may miss the most beautiful moments of tenderness.

So, love him HIS way, and let him love you HIS way, because the way YOU want to be loved doesn't matter.

Nope. Nope, nope, nope.
This is exactly what the book "love languages" try's to teach people...which is always touted by the ladies here as essential reading.

It's not about following each other's hand of being commanded to do what the other wants, it's about taking each other for who they are over what you want them to be.

It's about creating respect over demanding it

You twisted that whole thing as some self centered control mechanism

Old 04-15-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
This is exactly what the book "love languages" try's to teach people...which is always touted by the ladies here as essential reading.

It's not about following each other's hand of being commanded to do what the other wants, it's about taking each other for who they are over what you want them to be.

It's about creating respect over demanding it

You twisted that whole thing as some self centered control mechanism
Read it again.

It says that she is to love him HIS way, and let him love her HIS way. HER love language is never figured into the mix.

The love languages book is about learning to love the other person the way they want to be loved. That's where this article got it wrong - it made the whole thing about HIM, not THEM.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:04 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Read it again.

It says that she is to love him HIS way, and let him love her HIS way. HER love language is never figured into the mix.

The love languages book is about learning to love the other person the way they want to be loved. That's where this article got it wrong - it made the whole thing about HIM, not THEM.
I find it odd the hypocrisy on these things posted in recent days.

If a woman was to post this exact advice it wouldn't not have had an eye batted at it.
However when it is a man posting from his perspective suddenly its heretic hunts and pitchforks.

Without making this in to a gender war (because that's not my intention)
It's an odd occurrence I've noted.

Maybe it's just how this particular forum leans...who knows

Old 04-15-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:

If a woman was to post this exact advice it wouldn't not have had an eye batted at it.
However when it is a man posting from his perspective suddenly its heretic hunts and pitchforks.

So you don't see the hypocrisy in ignoring her love language and only focusing on his love language?

Or you just don't want to admit you were incorrect in your reading of what it, and I, said?

Old 04-15-2017, 02:13 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:

Uh no. I'd side-eye anyone who shared drivel like this. It's patently nonsensical whether it's a man or woman offering this "advice." Explaining one individual's M.O. for their relationship is one thing, asserting their method should be some universal gold standard, is another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships