Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 03:26 PM

365 posts, read 257,211 times

Advertisements

WOW! I am starting to feel like I just can't compete. I have been looking for women in my age group to see if I can find a good woman for a good relationship for both of us.

Alas, these sites are full of SuperWomen. I mean there is nothing athletic, daring, dangerous, etc. that they don't do. They play tennis and golf. They ski up hill. They mountain bike in the most rugged terrain. They backpack for days in primitive wilderness. They sail boats, ride motorcycles and jump out of airplanes. This is all on top of working out at least 5 days a week for a couple of hours a day.

They also play an instrument or two, are gourmet cooks and have mastered several artistic skills. They have had highly responsible very professional jobs that they still do. And, of course, they volunteer with several organizations so they can help others.

On top of all that they look great in hiking clothing or a short black dress. All their friends say they look 10 to 20 years younger than their actual age.

I am starting to feel very inadequate.

Signed,

An Average Guy

Old 04-24-2017, 03:33 PM

44,301 posts, read 19,972,258 times
Then you're reading the wrong profiles. There are plenty of mortal women out there as well.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:51 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,675,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Then you're reading the wrong profiles.
There are plenty of mortal women out there as well.
But they're all wrung out from raising kids for the last twenty years
and never had time to do any of that way cool Super Woman stuff.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:55 PM

20,703 posts, read 19,868,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombus View Post
WOW! I am starting to feel like I just can't compete. I have been looking for women in my age group to see if I can find a good woman for a good relationship for both of us.

Alas, these sites are full of SuperWomen. I mean there is nothing athletic, daring, dangerous, etc. that they don't do. They play tennis and golf. They ski up hill. They mountain bike in the most rugged terrain. They backpack for days in primitive wilderness. They sail boats, ride motorcycles and jump out of airplanes. This is all on top of working out at least 5 days a week for a couple of hours a day.

They also play an instrument or two, are gourmet cooks and have mastered several artistic skills. They have had highly responsible very professional jobs that they still do. And, of course, they volunteer with several organizations so they can help others.

On top of all that they look great in hiking clothing or a short black dress. All their friends say they look 10 to 20 years younger than their actual age.

Signed,

An Average Guy
So you clicked on profiles with the following requirements:

- athletic
- no kids
- no smoking
- successful
- very ambitious

Set the bar a bit lower

Old 04-24-2017, 03:55 PM

102,113 posts, read 107,301,106 times
I don't find your post believable, OP. How old are you? Most women in their 20's are not gourmet cooks--some are only beginning to teach themselves to cook at that age, in fact--and have no artistic talent whatsoever. Your post is clearly hyperbole.

So, what's your point? Maybe you should learn how to cook? Get a job a step above barista?

Old 04-24-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Signed,

An Average Guy
Half of it is show.

- reheating a can of ravioli = I cook a lot
- had a groupon once for a 2 hour sailing trip = experienced sailor
- paying for a gym membership = work out every day
- have an unused mountainbike in the garage = hobby
- having slept in a 5 star cabin = wilderness camping
- snorting water could be falling under "I am very artistic"
- ride motorcycles = sat on the back once
- jump out of airplanes - once back in college, 20 years ago, totally drunk

Old 04-24-2017, 04:04 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,473,603 times
I found the same thing with men when I did online dating. While I'm sure there are some super people among us, when I really dug, I found most of those were padded profiles (so to speak). Prime example, I'd see a picture in a profile of a guy scuba diving (which I actually do several times a year) and I'd ask about it only to find out the truth was he went diving once, on a cruise, 7 years ago. But he has the picture and listed scuba diving as a hobby!

I think some people put EVERYTHING in their profiles thinking it attracts when it can also have the opposite effect.

By the way, over achievement (or the appearance of it) is a sign of possible narcissism. So be wary. I'd say go for more realistic sounding profiles.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:05 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,083,158 times
Quote:
Signed,
An Average Guy
So put on your yoga pants and cape, grab the ceramic pot you made yourself and ski up the hill to fill the pot with snow from the mountain top that you can use to steam your organic broccolli.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:08 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,473,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Half of it is show.

- reheating a can of ravioli = I cook a lot
- had a groupon once for a 2 hour sailing trip = experienced sailor
- paying for a gym membership = work out every day
- have an unused mountainbike in the garage = hobby
- having slept in a 5 star cabin = wilderness camping
- snorting water could be falling under "I am very artistic"
- ride motorcycles = sat on the back once
- jump out of airplanes - once back in college, 20 years ago, totally drunk
ROTFL... yep.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I found the same thing with men when I did online dating. While I'm sure there are some super people among us, when I really dug, I found most of those were padded profiles (so to speak). Prime example, I'd see a picture in a profile of a guy scuba diving (which I actually do several times a year) and I'd ask about it only to find out the truth was he went diving once, on a cruise, 7 years ago. But he has the picture and listed scuba diving as a hobby!

I think some people put EVERYTHING in their profiles thinking it attracts when it can also have the opposite effect.

By the way, over achievement (or the appearance of it) is a sign of possible narcissism. So be wary. I'd say go for more realistic sounding profiles.
So true. Lots of people also fill out the profiles and realize they do not have many hobbies so they put those there they would LIKE to have.

"Oh, I kinda like to take pics of myself" and really should do that more often .... turns into hobby = photography

I want to look adventurous ... hmmm. Okay, I remember I scuba dived 7 years ago. That was fun. Should do it again. Hobby =scuba diving.

I really should travel more, it is fun. Hobby = traveling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships