Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:50 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
So said one of my Twitter buddies when I remarked on the speed with which she launched herself back into the dating game after a particularly nasty breakup.

Now, forgive me if I appear thicker than a whale omelette here, but I can't fathom why a solitary existence is seen as a failing. I've chosen it because I can't imagine being in the world any other way. The adjustments required by any sort of romantic coupling would knock planet Scribbles out of its orbit and send its lone inhabitant spiralling into a black hole of confusion and bewilderment for all eternity.

I don't mean to suggest life for one is entirely without difficulties. I'm only human (or almost) and I get lonely at times, but never to the point where I'd consider becoming part of a couple. That's too drastic and permanent a solution to a temporary problem, and I stand to lose more from its failure (mentally, emotionally and financially) than I'd gain from its success.

I realise I'm in the minority on this, and I hope a few of you can help me understand why some people's happiness and sense of identity or being an adult depends so much on finding someone else to settle down, grow old and wander off into the sunset with. For me it's about as palatable as Metallica cutting their hair and trying to keep up with the alternative scene during the 90s. I'd feel like a sellout if I even contemplated it, and I most certainly would NOT respect myself in the morning.
You're unable to imagine a viewpoint other than your own. It isn't unlike saying, "I would never put green peppers on a pizza, and I truly can't imagine why anybody would," at heart. It's just a fundamental failure to entertain the idea that very different things suit different people.

Your life is ideal for you as it is, with you solo and enjoying the benefits you derive from being completely on your own, enough that it isn't worth up ending that apple cart and living in a situation that changes that. Fair enough, but obviously, plenty of people can't really identify with that, anymore than you can identify with craving the intimacy of a partnership.

For others, a life they share with a partner is their ideal, and they get much more out of it than you personally would.

It's okay when people like, want, and value different paths in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 07:54 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,107,201 times
Totally with you on that. I'd just like to understand their reasoning a little better. From my end it seems like lemmings throwing themselves off cliffs.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:54 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I'm sure that your perspective also is one that leaves some baffled.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:57 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,468 times
I will give you that many people do not learn from the mistakes they made in previous relationships as they look for another one, but many people on the other hand do, and their next relationship is amazing. It's unfortunate that some people settle, just to not be alone, or feel they need someone in order to make it through life financially, but there are others who are very happy in relationships, even though they went through hell and made some big mistakes and had to learn from those mistakes to get there.

I personally don't think advising people who can't find loving relationships to give up and be alone. Maybe take some time to themselves and figure out what they really need and want is a great idea, but to give up all together, is a bit much

Old 04-25-2017, 07:57 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
Of course. Life would be boring if everyone were, but so many people make the same mistakes (or similar) over and over again as they look for the same thing. Then they talk to me on the phone about it for *hours* 'because you can be objective.' If by objective they mean clueless, then yes I suppose I am.

I wish someone would explain to me why they want what they say they want and are prepared to be let down, lied to and disappointed in their search. The only answers I've found so far are along the lines of 'just because', which doesn't help me understand at all.
This is a different topic than not wanting to be alone, and seeing being alone as a personal failing.

The failing here is that this person continues to make the same choices resulting in the same mistakes. Sometimes those people have to "hit rock bottom" before they realize they have to change.

I have a friend like this - she recently came to the realization that her choices in men were why her relationships kept failing. She kept choosing the wrong-for-her men. And that if she wanted a different result, she was going to have to make different choices (ie: be willing to give guys outside her "type" a shot).

Old 04-25-2017, 08:00 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Being alone is very lonely. It might even be mentally damaging.
Doesn't have to be.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:10 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Most people want a partner and companion in life. Not too hard to figure out.

The problem with your friend isn't that she wants this. It's that she makes bad choices. Show me a particularly nasty breakup and I'll show you a situation where one or both partners weren't committed to the relationships health in big ways and small.
This is true.

I often find myself as the committed to the relationship one and the other one is just hanging around until something better comes along. Then I get left and the whole pattern starts again.

How does one stop attracting the guys that are unwilling to commit to them? And when do you know the right time to cut them loose, but not to soon that you do not allow the relationship to progress on a normal time frame?

Old 04-25-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Doesn't have to be.
How is it not? Most people are social creatures. They do best surrounded by other people and having strong personal relationships.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:13 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
This is true.

I often find myself as the committed to the relationship one and the other one is just hanging around until something better comes along. Then I get left and the whole pattern starts again.

How does one stop attracting the guys that are unwilling to commit to them? And when do you know the right time to cut them loose, but not to soon that you do not allow the relationship to progress on a normal time frame?
That seems to happen to me too.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
That seems to happen to me too.
Why? How can it be prevented? I try to head it off by having early discussions letting any prospect know that I do indeed want marriage in my future. They always say they want the same, yet somewhere along the relationship road, they change their mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships