Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 02:58 AM

1 posts, read 765 times

Advertisements

So i met this guy back in January. We both kicked it off, went on a couple of dates.. and he told me he was looking for a friend with benefits or casual dating. I have never done this before, i was open to it. Now things have escalated. We hangout three times a week, we on long drives around the city. We text throughout the day. We confide in each other, and jokingly talk about what it would like to be married to each other. He brings me food sometimes to my house if he i ask because he is a good cook. He asked me one time to hold my hand in public. We go to restaurants.I have tried to set boundaries... he said the only boundary is that he doesn't want me getting involved with any of his friends and he gets jealous. One time he showed me his entire photo album and talked to me about his family. I was wondering is this a typical friend with benefits arrangement? Could he be catching feelings?

Last edited by Lovergirl92; 04-25-2017 at 03:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 03:02 AM

52,289 posts, read 52,723,379 times
That ain't no friend with benefits that I recall doing.

That's just about dating....... FWB is raw, course, vulgar and frankly nothing like you mentioned, at least in my world. I haven't been single for a long time but that's the way I remember it being. If I was just boning some chick I wouldn't be bring food over to her house and spending a lot of time outside of boot knocking.

You need to figure out what it is and talk to him about it.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:24 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,351,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
That ain't no friend with benefits that I recall doing.

That's just about dating....... FWB is raw, course, vulgar and frankly nothing like you mentioned, at least in my world. I haven't been single for a long time but that's the way I remember it being. If I was just boning some chick I wouldn't be bring food over to her house and spending a lot of time outside of boot knocking.

You need to figure out what it is and talk to him about it.
I agree, that's not typical fwb decorum. I guess, me and chow-dawg are old skewl.

I ain't spending time catering food, looking through family albums, and being jealous of other guys (that's bf stuff). I'd only come over to hit, and I'm outta there. Because the longer we spend time, someone will eventually develop feelings.

Cant let that happen too quick, because it will inevitably happen. I want to ride it out as long as I can.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I agree, that's not typical fwb decorum. I guess, me and chow-dawg are old skewl.

I ain't spending time catering food and looking through family albums (that's bf stuff). I'd only come over to hit, and I'm outta there, because the longer I we spend time, someone will develop feelings.

Cant let that happen too quick, because eventually, it will happen.
Yep. I've only had one instance where neither one of us started to Feel anthing and it was rare. It's human nature to a degree to start to develop feelings for another person, especially doing really intimate things like sex. I get that it can be done without feelinbgs but the more you do it , the higher the chances of someone starting to feel something is pretty great.

I think FWB is 90 percent myth, does it happen, of course, but more often than not someone starts to develop feelings and ends up getting hurt on some level... It doesn't have to be huge, but it's still there nonetheless.

Last edited by Chowhound; 04-25-2017 at 03:42 AM..

Old 04-25-2017, 03:40 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,730,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovergirl92 View Post
Now things have escalated.
Escalated for better or worse from your point of view?

If it's what you want, you need to raise the subject with him directly and tell him how you feel?

Or is what you get from the existing FWB relationship too good for you to risk losing it?

Old 04-25-2017, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Yep. I've only had one instance where neither one of us started to Feel anthing and it was rare. It's human nature to a degree to start to develop feelings for another person, especially doing really intimate things like sex. I get that it can be done without feelinbgs but the more you do it , the higher the chances of someone starting to feel something is pretty great.

I think FWB is 80 percent myth, does it happen, of course, but more often than not someone starts to develop feelings and ends up getting hurt on some level... It doesn't have to be huge, but it's still there nonetheless.
Yup, nothing bonds two people more than sex, imo. So, it takes a certain mindset to separate the emotional aspect of a fwb/fb relationship. I was really good at separating the two for a long time, until the table finally turned on me

I wish sometimes, I can totally turn off my emotions, but I cant, it what makes me human.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Yup, nothing bonds two people more than sex, imo. So, it takes a certain mindset to separate the emotional aspect of a fwb/fb relationship. I was really good at separating the two for a long time, until the table finally turned on me

I wish sometimes, I can totally turn off my emotions, but I cant, it what makes me human.
Yep... I wished I could turn mine off. I only was able to do the FWB with one woman. The rest of the women I either liked them or they like me. It was hard to be cool and distant. Even the ones I didn't "love" I still felt a bond with them and didn't want them to be hurt or whatever.

I'm not a machine and most decent people aren't machines so it makes the whole thing rough. LOL.

I don't want to derail this thread and plenty of women/men can come in and encourage the OP, but frankly the OP is doing things that are way way past just FWBS and are well into dating/relationships stuff.

I hope for her that they end up being together. That would be a nice little sweet package if they ended up being together, heck they could make it for the long run.

I feel more of a hope for that then just simply discussing whether or not they are FWB's......

Old 04-25-2017, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Yep... I wished I could turn mine off. I only was able to do the FWB with one woman. The rest of the women I either liked them or they like me. It was hard to be cool and distant. Even the ones I didn't "love" I still felt a bond with them and didn't want them to be hurt or whatever.

I'm not a machine and most decent people aren't machines so it makes the whole thing rough. LOL.

I don't want to derail this thread and plenty of women/men can come in and encourage the OP, but frankly the OP is doing things that are way way past just FWBS and are well into dating/relationships stuff.

I hope for her that they end up being together. That would be a nice little sweet package if they ended up being together, heck they could make it for the long run.

I feel more of a hope for that then just simply discussing whether or not they are FWB's......
She really does have to talk to him, so they both know where they stand. If one of them develops feelings, and the other doesn't, the fwb is basically DONE!

Old 04-25-2017, 04:53 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,475,163 times
Would you do these things and share these things with a friend? Yes. A FWB in the true sense of the phrase IS a friend - the benefits are extra, and optional. The only thing OFF the table is developing romantic feelings and wanting a romantic relationship. The more raw, sex-oriented only scenario is merely a **** buddy - you use each other to get off, but you aren't friends, just acquaintances.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:43 AM

11,800 posts, read 12,040,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Would you do these things and share these things with a friend? Yes. A FWB in the true sense of the phrase IS a friend - the benefits are extra, and optional. The only thing OFF the table is developing romantic feelings and wanting a romantic relationship. The more raw, sex-oriented only scenario is merely a **** buddy - you use each other to get off, but you aren't friends, just acquaintances.
I don't spend that much time with a friend the way the OP describes things. That is a dating relationship, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships