Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 02:55 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What makes you (or anyone else commenting) think the question is about anything
other than the first meet based in an online dating situation?

This confusion has come up before
Yes it's the only logical situation that sprung to mind therefore that's why I thought that and was only an example.

The OP has said " first date " so that could imply an actual first meet or it could quite easily be the other way and they already knew each other.

RE your added part mate yes that's what I was getting at beforehand and as that's usually the case for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 02:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
What are your thoughts and experiences on this oh so polarizing first date idea?

(I'm a guy btw) Some hate it, some like it. Back when I dated more (5 years ago), I didn't like it because I always wanted to meet for drinks, meet at night, dress up a little (hoping that the woman would dress up as well). This might have been some insecurity on my part, thinking that I would need the alcohol to make things interesting, lower inhibitions a little.

But now that I'm back in the dating world, I love the idea of just going for coffee or tea on a first date (whether it's in the day or at night). It's great to not rely on alcohol to fuel conversation, it's the real you and the real her coming out. If things go well, we can get drunk next time. I think it shows a certain confidence, in that I don't need to impress you (the woman) with food/cocktails right off the bat.

And that leads to maybe the most important part of it, it's inexpensive! But do women see through this and think the guy is cheap? I'm sure some do and some don't.
I'm female and always suggested it.

I love coffee, and like the atmosphere. I liked it for a first date. If we hit it off, plenty of time for bars, less casual evenings out. Coffee dayes are cheap, easy, low pressure, work any time of day, and venues are abundant.

My first date with my husband was a weeknight date at a cafe. He was game, even though he doesn't drink caffeine in the evening, typically.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:01 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
The coffee date seems to have come about as men, who still do most of the asking, make an attempt to get a girl to go out with them in the most casual way possible, so she doesn't feel TOO committed, as opposed to the old-school way of taking her out for a full on night on the town with dinner, a movie etc.

Because as we now know there are men who believe that if they "invest" in a full night out with a woman, they should get some "payoff" at the end of the evening. Likewise, they could employ it to ward off any women who apparently use guys for free dinners without ever intending to date/sleep with them, which I have heard about on the internet but fortunately don't know in person.

The coffee date has evolved as a way for all parties to ease into things without too much investment on the front end, emotional OR financial.

The ONLY reason I wouldn't prefer "coffee" over "drinks" is because coffee breath is terrible for kissin'. But then again I am one of those weirdos who doesn't mind beer breath.

I say we all just head to Vegas the first night, get married, and sort it out behind us.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:03 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why would you assume the topic is limited to OLD first meets?
Because the OP used the OLD based term "coffee date"...
and an implied misunderstanding of the term in this modern usage.
I thought I made this frame of reference rather clear.

BTW... that basic misunderstanding shouldn't happen in a 'relationship' forum.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:18 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,950 times
I guess, when I started the thread, I was thinking about a first date resulting from an Online Dating site (meaning you have not yet met the person in real life). For me, right now, this is the only way I'm meeting women.

Great responses so far.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:24 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
I guess, when I started the thread, I was thinking about a first date resulting from an Online Dating site (meaning you have not yet met the person in real life). For me, right now, this is the only way I'm meeting women.

Great responses so far.
There's also the ice cream shop option. I met a date at a local bookstore and we agreed to choose a book for the other to read. We had previously talked about doing this. It was a really cool date. We had dessert at a nearby eatery after.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:26 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

The ONLY reason I wouldn't prefer "coffee" over "drinks" is because coffee breath is terrible for kissin'. But then again I am one of those weirdos who doesn't mind beer breath.
True, but the beauty of the coffee date is that I would not even get my hopes up to kiss a girl at then end of it.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:26 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
The coffee date seems to have come about as...
Nope. It's just a conversational "term of art" used among the Starbucks generation.
This first face to face meeting could just as easily be made at a hamburger joint.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:

Great responses so far.
Thank you for clearing that up mate

Mate regardless of what anyone thinks or says about just going out for coffee or any other setting ( in a negative way ) the main thing is you're putting yourself out there and dating so happy days

Old 04-29-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
The ONLY reason I wouldn't prefer "coffee" over "drinks" is because coffee breath is terrible for kissin'. But then again I am one of those weirdos who doesn't mind beer breath..
Quote:
True, but the beauty of the coffee date is that I would not even get my hopes up to kiss a girl at then end of it.
Tea beats coffee everyday plus you won't have that problem mate..... I always knew we had dating sussed this side of the pond
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships