Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 07:14 PM

48,406 posts, read 34,563,252 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I know this is minor, but right now it really stings.

DH came back from a week long trip, and brought a huge bag of M&Ms. Which is weird, because in over 5 years he has never seen me with M&Ms, or candy like that (I'll eat a high cacao bar rarely), I'm not big on sugar, and I'm trying to lose weight. Said he bought them because they are different colors than what we have... which I don't know, I don't eat them or go in the candy stores that carry them. It's just such a weird thing to bring back.

Then he goes upstairs and brings me a shirt he got me. Long sleeve (I never wear, it's always 80 degrees here or warmer), bright orange (I mean safety jacket orange) and.... a men's cut. This might be a choice if you told someone to buy me something that has NOTHING to do with anything I currently own.

I just found the gifts so odd, I literally feel like crying, and I'm trying to nail down why.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 07:17 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,700,060 times
Maybe because it stings to get a gift from someone who is supposed to know you better than anyone yet he chooses something that makes it seem like he doesn't even know you at all. LOL

Been there, done that. It sucks in the moment, but it's just one of those things for which you have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

You know ... travel pressures, ran out of time, etc.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:18 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,270,910 times
Maybe because you want to think he was missing you as much as you perhaps missed him. In the same vein, perhaps you wanted to know he was thinking about you while away.

Was this a work trip or pleasure? When I've taken work-related trips I don't really have time to think about my husband or miss him. I'm too busy.

I think the gifts were because he was thinking about you, but not really thinking.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:24 PM

It was work, and I know he was super busy. I really don't need to him to prove he was missing me or anything...

I think it would have felt better to get nothing. In the grand scheme, it's minor. I'll have to attribute the tears to PMS or something. I'm sure it will pass.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:26 PM

51,964 posts, read 52,401,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It was work, and I know he was super busy. I really don't need to him to prove he was missing me or anything...

I think it would have felt better to get nothing. In the grand scheme, it's minor. I'll have to attribute the tears to PMS or something. I'm sure it will pass.
LOL, are you getting into the cooking sherry? This doesn't seem like a thread you would make.

We all have rough days now and then.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
LOL, are you getting into the cooking sherry? This doesn't seem like a thread you would make.

We all have rough days now and then.

I know right???? But these presents would be perfect for a junk food eating construction worker.... I'm like what the heck?

But his presents are normally very well thought out and appropriate.... ok, I will wait for hormones to pass or whatever.....

Old 04-30-2017, 07:31 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,700,060 times
Quote:

But his presents are normally very well thought out and appropriate....
In that case maybe you were looking forward to it more than you realized, and the obvious misfire was just a letdown.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
In that case maybe you were looking forward to it more than you realized, and the obvious misfire was just a letdown.
No.
But to hand me stuff that is in direct opposite to anything I would eat or wear, THAT's odd.

I bought you M&Ms.................. that is still weird to me. I don't eat candy!

That would be like me bringing him lentils from a trip. Weird, and I know he hates them.

Last edited by Mikala43; 04-30-2017 at 07:42 PM..

Old 04-30-2017, 07:36 PM

51,964 posts, read 52,401,739 times
Quote:
No.
But to hand me stuff that is in direct opposite to anything I would eat or wear, THAT's odd.

I bought you M&Ms.................. that is still weird to me. I don't eat candy!
Well, in your defense those did sound like some odd gifts. I was just telling Mrs. Chow I couldn't imagine bring back a long sleeve orange shirt for her. LOL.

Today I picked a twix bar for her when I was out shopping. She's not a huge sweets person but once in a while is ok.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:41 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,479,491 times
Quote:
Ok, so I know this is minor, but right now it really stings.

DH came back from a week long trip, and brought a huge bag of M&Ms. Which is weird, because in over 5 years he has never seen me with M&Ms, or candy like that (I'll eat a high cacao bar rarely), I'm not big on sugar, and I'm trying to lose weight. Said he bought them because they are different colors than what we have... which I don't know, I don't eat them or go in the candy stores that carry them. It's just such a weird thing to bring back.

Then he goes upstairs and brings me a shirt he got me. Long sleeve (I never wear, it's always 80 degrees here or warmer), bright orange (I mean safety jacket orange) and.... a men's cut. This might be a choice if you told someone to buy me something that has NOTHING to do with anything I currently own.

I just found the gifts so odd, I literally feel like crying, and I'm trying to nail down why.
Awwww sweetheart!

Is it possible he just wanted to be a touch spontaneous and do something out of the norm and not but the conventional souvenir gifts/duty frees etc to try and give you a pleasant surprise?

To be honest with the feeling disconnected part..... I'm not the best at picking out gifts and especially clothes for a lady and yeah like many blokes I'm not as attentive to what she wears i.e. the style/brand etc unless it's been drummed into me LOL.... Doesn't mean im not crazy about her and totally into her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships