Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 11:11 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post
No, not all white collar jobs pay well, but again, people with degrees have more career options. It's as simple as that. A degreed person can go into a trade or go into a white collar profession. They have more choices. Someone with a degree can drive a truck or take up carpentry. A person without a degree can't apply for dental school or become a teacher for instance. Education isn't all about money. Education is never a waste.
Yes, but that can go both ways though. I mean plenty of people go back to college and get their degrees or change careers later in life. The idea that you have to have all your plans lined up from the beginning and follow a set path really confuses me. As John Lennon said, "Life's what happens when you're busy making other plans." You could go right through school and college and be highly educated in the area that you studied and completely unfulfilled and incapable of doing a lot of things. Or life could come along and interrupt you and you could learn a whole lot from whatever that experience may be. I really think that people need to be judged on their individual merits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 07:11 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Something that hasn't been mentioned here is importance of education. In my family, it's not a question of if you'd graduate from high school or if you'd graduate from undergrad- it's WHERE you go to grad school and IF you go for your phD.

My grandparents on my mom's side all went to college- even as children of poor immigrants! My grandmother and all of her sisters went to college back when it was where only the daughters of the very wealthy and would commute by train well over 2 hours each way. It was the same with my grandfather even though he was the son of a single mother who barely spoke English and he ended up going to grad school with the GI bill. At the point he got his grad degree, he was already groomed by his father in law to one day own the family business (that my grandfather turned around to make millions) so it wasn't necessary but the education was important.

So for me, college has always been the #1 priority. Had I wanted to go into a more vocational field, I still would have gotten a liberal arts degree. In my family, undergrad isn't seen as a way to get a job- it's seen as a way to be more well rounded and just an extension of high school in it being required. Careers come out of masters degrees and internships.

It just does not compute to me why someone wouldn't get a degree and I honestly would have a hard time imagining starting a family with someone who's values so sharply diverge from my own. There's no excuse for someone my age to not get a degree- money is no longer an issue if you had good work ethic in high school.

Also, I really hate it when people think that just because they're doing well NOW it means that their lack of a college degree was a good idea. My dad had to drop out of college to support his mother and siblings. He ended up rising to the rank of a vice president for a consulting firm but when there was a buyoff, he got laid off. So despite 30 years of experience, people wouldn't even LOOK at his resume because he didn't have an MBA, much less a bachelors. Even companies he had previously worked with required a college degree to even be interviewed for a position. It took him 5 years to find an employer to whom a degree didn't matter. Had he been able to get a degree, he would have had much more job security. If you're my age just coming up, forget it if you don't have a degree- soon you won't even be able to manage a McDonalds without one.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:49 AM

354 posts, read 2,075,432 times
I agree, in this time and age most companies are looking for a degree. I strongly feel that's not always the best choice for a company to make. I rather see someone with years of experience in the field without a degree vs someone fresh out of college with a degree. It will prooven to have been more productive in most cases charolastra00. My previous employer use to hire department supervisor because they had a degree. Only thing they was good for was passing the checks out at the end of the week and ordering pizza. They knew nothing about the equipment, product or process. These were the people who was chosen to improve on safty and production. Since failure attempts they change their motto. They start promoting from within people who know the equipment, process, who can improve on safty, trouble shoot and have ideals that will increase the process and planning. It since then proven to be more productive to a point they cant keep up with the demand.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:14 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,167 times
Im with charolastra, education is VERY important to me. It's not so much about what kind of job they have or how much money they make. I honestly don't think I could date someone that didn't have at least a bachelor's degree. Now before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I realize that there are some people that didn't graduate that are vastly more intelligent than some people that did. In general though, a college degree does mean something. It usually does mean that they are decently intelligent.

All that being said, I do not look down on anyone that doesn't have a degree. But if I am looking for a long term relationship, it makes sense to pick someone that has the same values as me and education is, like I said before, very important to me.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:17 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliedrefuseworker View Post
I agree, in this time and age most companies are looking for a degree. I strongly feel that's not always the best choice for a company to make. I rather see someone with years of experience in the field without a degree vs someone fresh out of college with a degree. It will prooven to have been more productive in most cases charolastra00. My previous employer use to hire department supervisor because they had a degree.
In the case you pointed out above, it was clearly not a good decision. It usually isn't so black and white though and then the college degree does make a difference. All things being equal, I would pick someone with a degree over someone without one. A college degree usually does mean something, not always, but usually.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:10 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,068,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
If a college degree makes people smart than what the hell happened to most of the politicians?
They are corrupt and the people feel more secure voting for someone with a degree nothing else. Even though one of the greatest presidents was a farmer. But most people hate him.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:25 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
....Many major companies will not promote a worker to management unless they have a college degree....

Some companies now will not promote you to managment unless you have a Masters Degree in something. That's the way my current employer is. If I remained here I would never elevate to managment unless I went to night school and got a my masters.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:30 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
They are corrupt and the people feel more secure voting for someone with a degree nothing else. Even though one of the greatest presidents was a farmer. But most people hate him.
Which one was that? (Forgive my ignorace)

edit: I know Harry Truman was the last President to serve who didn't have a degree. He was from my home state.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:59 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,852,845 times
Default Fallacy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
I will explain it real fast... College Degree normally equates to a white collar office job individuals that makes money.. versus a High School diploma equals a blue collar earning less money... makes sense?
This is largely a fallacy. Many in the trades make a fantastic amount of money. Much of it isn't counted in the statistics because they aren't declaring it on their taxes, making the income they earn even better.

Good white collar jobs now require a lot of education and this results in plenty of debt, long hours and a commitment to ongoing education, often on your own time.

Now days, the best companies to work for have only a small number of openings that don't require the above. These jobs are reserved for young, pretty, usually blond busty types. They are hired so that the young men on the management fast track have some hope of finding a marriage partner, since they have little time otherwise.

For those who cannot meet these requirements, a BA (in say Anthropology) will get you a McJob, working for a HS classmate who has spent the past 5 years working up to manager. Time to get into an apprenticeship.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:05 PM

591 posts, read 1,415,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
Nearly 38 years ago I married a wonderful man, with a 9th grade education, he was a "blue collar" worker, at a major car company, later became a supervisor, built us a beautiful home, raised 5 children and we never wanted for nothing, we had vacations, clothes, new cars, what got him ahead in life wasn't a diploma but common sense, he could figure out things better than some engineers. Now 14 yrs later, me a widow I meet a man with 5 degrees
come from the same hometown, interesting to say the least, knows so much too much, almost pompous, can write beautifully, knows science, law, art, he was a federal employee with a larger salary than my "blue collar" husband, but can't fix a leak, cut a lawn, paint a wall, its beneath him to do "labor" he was put on this earth to be a "know it all". So would I go for a man with a college degree......give me a man who has a diploma and will get his hands dirty, they have more common sense.
Said beautifully. I couldn't agree with you more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships